Second Brisbane NRL Bid

Mister Wright said:
The only way I can see a 2nd Brisbane team playing out of Suncorp Stadium is if there were double headers every two weeks (or at least for the majority of home games). Brisbane families cannot afford to attend the footy every week. I'm pretty sure if there were two Brisbane teams playing out of Suncorp Stadium every two weeks the place would be a full-house every home game.
That actually could be an option, because not many people can afford more than one club membership per year. I can't see it happening though, because one club would pretty much have to survive without any gate takings and memberships.
Of course, it would be good for the lucky Suncorp Stadium Members...

Porthoz said:
Mister Wright said:
The only way I can see a 2nd Brisbane team playing out of Suncorp Stadium is if there were double headers every two weeks (or at least for the majority of home games). Brisbane families cannot afford to attend the footy every week. I'm pretty sure if there were two Brisbane teams playing out of Suncorp Stadium every two weeks the place would be a full-house every home game.
That actually could be an option, because not many people can afford more than one club membership per year. I can't see it happening though, because one club would pretty much have to survive without any gate takings and memberships.

I hate this idea, sure do it on odd occasions but this idea flies in the face of having the teams and the fans hating eachother. It would make a lot of people go and barrack for the 'Brisbane teams' not 'their' Brisbane team.

mrslong said:
Having a second team out of Suncorp Stadium is a farking joke. And I'm not just saying this as a parochial broncos supporter, but as someone with common sense.

It's not creating any more revenue - it's robbing from peter to pay paul so to speak. Doesn't make any business sense at all.

Exactly a second Brisbane team will not bring more money or more fans to the game, it will simply disperse the money and fans across 2 teams. IMO 1 team averaging 30,000 is better than 2 teams averaging 15,000 each*; which is essentially what a new Brisbane team will create (it will also take fans from the Titans). Also when it comes to the corporate dollar, the bulk of this will be companies moving away from the Broncos to the new team - again bringing nothing new to the game overall.

And Gallop has stated publicly that any new franchise needs to bring more to the game and not at the expense of any of the existing 16 clubs - so if the NRL are genuine in this a second Brisbane team will be rejected at this stage.

*Note figures are example only - not saying these are actual figures.

The Brizz said:
Porthoz said:
[quote="Mister Wright":32n30u8e]The only way I can see a 2nd Brisbane team playing out of Suncorp Stadium is if there were double headers every two weeks (or at least for the majority of home games). Brisbane families cannot afford to attend the footy every week. I'm pretty sure if there were two Brisbane teams playing out of Suncorp Stadium every two weeks the place would be a full-house every home game.

I hate this idea, sure do it on odd occasions but this idea flies in the face of having the teams and the fans hating eachother. It would make a lot of people go and barrack for the 'Brisbane teams' not 'their' Brisbane team.[/quote:32n30u8e]

I never said it was a "good idea". I said it was the only way to make it successful.

Further media release from the Crushers V2 after their offical bid launch

MEDIA RELEASE

21st February 2011

Brisbane NRL Expansion Bid: We Are Here.

The Brisbane NRL Expansion Bid have today officially declared the start of ‘The Battle For Brisbane’
At the Bid’s first press conference held at Suncorp Stadium, the three Bid Directors outlined their plans to demonstrate to the National Rugby League and incoming Independent Commission that they are the best choice for an expansion team, should tenders be called during the 2011 season.

Craig Davison who has been the bid’s official spokesperson to date outlined the scope and direction of the bid outlining the impact a second Brisbane team will have in the Rugby League community from grassroots through to the corporate sector. “We’re incredibly confident in the product we are creating and will continue to develop until such time the Independent Commission calls for bid tenders” Davison stated. “We have a number of private investors on board and now that we’ve declared our hand, we’ll have plenty more coming on board over the coming weeks and months.”

Nicholas Livermore, the second to address the 50 plus media present at the launch outlined the four sponsors on board already and confidently announced that another four will be released to the media over the coming weeks. “We have a concept that no other NRL Expansion Bid can offer – and that is a local derby, the likes of which Rugby League has not experienced before. The concept of a Battle of Brisbane should we get the nod into the NRL is exciting to our current sponsors and is causing a stir as we discuss the opportunities around a local derby to potential sponsors” Livermore stated. The announcement included that Centrebet was a major backer of the bid as a wagering partner, Queensland Maroons sponsor Canterbury Clothing Company is the official apparel sponsor. Austereo brand B105 will be the official radio partner and iconic Queensland distillery brand Bundarberg Rum is the official and exclusive Spirits Partner. Livermore announced that category sponsors for beer, insurance, automotive and electrical retailer partnership were in negotiations and will be released shortly.

The announcement was a stir in the Rugby League community and possibly the biggest in the 2011 season, more than 3 weeks before the season officially kicks-off.

Bid Director Bill Rae outlined an ambitious community engagement program that has already supported the junior and senior Rugby League clubs affected by the Brisbane floods. Rae and the Brisbane NRL Expansion Bid have donated 100,000 pies for no cost to the affected clubs to generate
revenue as part of the NRL’s Flood-Relief One Community program, headed up by former Broncos CEO Bruno Cullen.

“We’re passionate about our town and the surrounding communities and we want to be able to put back in from the very outset. We are here to leverage our position in the media and what we bring as a potential Expansion Team to support the community as much as possible and we’ll do this through a partnership with the SAFE Family Community Program, junior development in untapped regions, working in conjunction with the ARL Development program, complimenting the existing NRL teams junior development as well as a number of other initiatives we have as part of our strategic plan in moving forward over the coming months – and ultimately years as a fully fledged franchise” Rae stated.

The Brisbane NRL Expansion Bid also launched their website www.BattleForBrisbane.com.au with a focus on giving junior players a chance to design the Expansion Bid’s jersey and name for the team.
A further announcement on sponsorship and community program engagement will be made ahead of the NRL Season commencement.

They seem pretty well organized. Isn't Bundy a current sponsor of the Broncos, though? Or at least they were recently.

Anyone else going to enter the jersey competition? My design is pink with a big black schlong across the front pointing at the player's mouth.

Fozz said:
They seem pretty well organized. Isn't Bundy a current sponsor of the Broncos, though? Or at least they were recently.

Anyone else going to enter the jersey competition? My design is pink with a big black schlong across the front pointing at the player's mouth.
ROFLZ

Why black though? eusa_think

I thought the same about Bundy... Traitors! :evil:
I'm drinking Bacardi from now on. [icon_shady

Pfft. Bundy isn't cool anymore.

They turned him into a buff gay bear.

Porthoz said:
Why black though? eusa_think

I thought the same about Bundy... Traitors! :evil:
I'm drinking Bacardi from now on. [icon_shady

It's a nod to our traditional land owners. And stands out more than white would.

I switched to a much manlier rum: Mount Gay Rum.

Well done Broncos announcing Henjak's sacking on the day this was launched icon_thumbs_u

I like the two headings in the Fox Sports breaking news bit

"Mon Feb 21 16:43:44 EST 2011
League - Broncos unfazed by battle for city "

less than an hour later...

"Mon Feb 21 17:25:00 EST 2011
League - Henjak sacked by Broncos: reports "

I'm pretty sure Bundy Rum is a sponsor of the NRL or the Ch 9 Friday Night Footy telecast. And they have the Suncorp Stadium licence. AFAIK they aren't a sponsor of the Broncos per se.

And B105 - pfft. The Broncos dumped them as a sponsor basically because they provided crap value for money.

I know a coach who's looking for a job if they need one....

Bid team has just released shortlist of names to be voted on by the public.

Brisbane Barracudas
Brisbane Bayliners
Brisbane Bobcats
Brisbane Bombers
Brisbane Braves
Brisbane Brewers
Brisbane Buccaneers
Brisbane Heat (isn't that the Brisbane twenty20 side?)
Eastern Stringrays
Rivercity Kookaburras
South Queensland Cyclones
South Queensland Dolphins
South Queensland Rogues
South Queensland Spartans
South Queensland Taipans

http://www.battleforbrisbane.com.au...105-contest&catid=39:media-coverage&Itemid=66

All piss poor if you ask me.

'Brisbane Braves'.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Agree Smiley - all terrible options.

Can't believe they even put Dolphins on the list - talk about not learning from the past. The Gold Coast team wanted to be called the Dolphins, I think they even had the logo and everything ready to go and publicly launched the team under that name. Went to register the name and Redcliffe basically sued them (or at least threatened to - I don't remember all the finer details) and they weren't allowed to use the name - hence the Titans.

Should just give in and be the "Brisbane also-rans".

Active Now

• Footy Fanatic
  • Waynesaurus
  • Allo
  • pennywisealfie
  • Xzei
  • Dash
  • mrslong
  • Aldo
  • kiwi2
  • Jedhead
  • Justwin
  • Lurker
  • Culhwch
  • FACTHUNT
  • KateBroncos1812
  • maddo
  • Evander
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Manofoneway
  • GCBRONCO
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.