PLAYER Selwyn Cobbo

I couldn't give a **** if he is a lazy trainer. The training sessions I've been to suggest otherwise, but like I said I couldn't give a ****.

As long as he puts in on the field and he does. He isn't the first of our Indigenous stars to be a lazy trainer and he won't be the last.

We dead set can’t keep falling back on players from the 90’s and 2000’s being poor trainers and great players when the competition is far more professional than ever. If you’re not making sure you’re better than your opposite every week it’s not a good attitude. All well and good against Tesi Niu but apparently not against Khan-Pereira..

He can be lazy while he has natural talent, but it’s not going to last forever and that’s where my worry comes in. Rugby league is also a team sport, where you need to work with your team at training. Players have made comments, the coaches have made comments. It’s not going to just be ok forever.

Plus not showing up for rehab is flat out dumb.

I couldn't give a **** if he is a lazy trainer. The training sessions I've been to suggest otherwise, but like I said I couldn't give a ****.

As long as he puts in on the field and he does. He isn't the first of our Indigenous stars to be a lazy trainer and he won't be the last.
Well said.

Watching Cobbos post match interview convinced me to ignore any comments he might have made about Kevvie. The guy can barely string a sentence together. He tries to punch out cliches but can’t get them right.

In saying that, absolutely love what he brings to the team and to my enjoyment of watching broncos games. If I was a fan of public speaking we would have an issue, but luckily I’m a fan of rugby league.

and if all these people who hire people had staff who show up late or not at all they’d fire them

You wouldn't believe how hard that actually is. And before we get to that point, as has been said, we try to work with them to fix the problem.

Can we all just agree he was great tonight and discuss that?

Apparently not.

FFS. Close thread IMO. This is pointless.

Maybe I should sum this up.

He is hugely talented, he gives his all on game day, which sometimes ends up like last night, and other times ends up having a shocker.

IF his attitude and dedication does not improve, his career will likely end up with increasingly more bad than good, as his game won't develop, he won't improve his negatives, and any advantages his talent gives him will be found out and well known by defences. Anthony Milford, Dave Taylor, Chris Sandow are players with immense talent, who got very lucrative contracts based on their talent, but fizzled out once their talent base was not built upon and got exhausted.

There is the very slim chance that he ends up like a Hodges, was a poor trainer, but remained elite during his career, but remember he had an unparalleled competitive streak that drove him to constantly improve. I don't see that in Cobbo.

IF, like Cult suggests, the club rallies behind him and manages to educate him on the values of training and hard work, as he matures it will come easier for him and he may well turn out to be the player to match his talents, and go on to have a long career at the pointy end, or even become elite. That's what we all want, Cult included. But there is also the chance that the club can do everything in their power and it won't make much difference, people are wired a certain way and re-programming doesn't always overcome that, especially not in the medium to long term. That is what Cult is warning us of.

Poor games or patches of poor form don't prove anything, young players go through that. But similarly, a hat-trick game-winning effort doesn't prove anything either, as that's just talent shining through. The fact that he's had games like this since his debut just shows that he's always had this amazing talent, it's the gap between his good and bad games that need to level out to prove he's improving, only time is going to show that.

That was perfect Morkel, I was going to try and do something similar.

Oates was always lambasted for the gap between his best and worst games, I think it’ll take years to get a true consensus on this thread … try again in 2029 Morkel

(that was a beautiful summary though)

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • azza.79
  • MrMoore
  • Santa
  • rj9
  • broncos4life
  • upthebroncs
  • broncsgoat
  • kman
  • Broncosgirl
  • Behind enemy lines
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Jedhead
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.