Shaun Metcalf back in NRL

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
There was nothing to respond to in that, because yet again you completely and utterly miss the point. I have no qualms with people getting their life back on track.

But this is a "job" that puts you in the public spotlight. His victims - and other women who are victims of violent crime - see him lauded and praised on the football field (assuming he's good). It's ugly.

The NRL shouldn't be putting him on a pedestal of "oh look, you're sorry, you're a good boy now". They should say "sorry, we don't want people like you representing our game".

The NRL clearly disagree. And I won't be renewing my membership next year.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
So he should be allowed to do what he likes because his job is viewed by a lot of people. He shouldn't be allowed praise for anything good he does any more?

Why didn't you make this massive fuss in 2009 when the Titans signed Ian Lacey? Or when John Te Reo came back to the Broncos?

Because they bashed a male? Because they didn't go to jail? What?

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Nashy said:
So he should be allowed to do what he likes because his job is viewed by a lot of people. He shouldn't be allowed praise for anything good he does any more?

Why didn't you make this massive fuss in 2009 when the Titans signed Ian Lacey? Or when John Te Reo came back to the Broncos?

Because they bashed a male? Because they didn't go to jail? What?

Combination of things. They didn't try and kill someone. They didn't go to jail.

You'll note I have the same attitude towards Greg Bird as I do to Metcalf. I still don't believe Bird should be playing, and in fact, he should definitely be in jail. He and Katie lied to get his appeal upheld.

Nothing will change my mind on this. The guys are scum of the earth. No matter how "rehabilitated" and "corrected" they are, what they've done can't be erased and can't be forgotten. And shouldn't be.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
But you renewed even after Bird was allowed to play.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Well call me the woman who keeps going back to her cheating husband...there's only so many times it can happen before you say "**** off".

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Coxy said:
Well call me the woman who keeps going back to her cheating husband...there's only so many times it can happen before you say "**** off".
Fair enough imo, why invest in the nrl if they wont invest in the product and try and change the culture and image of the code

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Coxy said:
Here, have a 6 figure salary
i highly doubt hed be on a 6 figure salary. my guess is hed be on match payments to start with, or at the very most the minimum NRL top 25 player wage of ~$50k. but still, when all you do is play footy and train thats a lot of money.

i am actually interested in seeing what they would respond with if you wrote to them congratulating them on letting him play. not that im going to, or not that i would - i just think it would be interesting.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Probably send something back about sports gambling...

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Coxy said:
I did get a response after that.

LOLZ

Hi Chris,

Yes I did read your email and I do sincerely apologise for sending you the wrong email.

Thank you for your email.

We certainly understand your position. There is no excusing Shaun's actions and it is something he will have to live with for the rest of his life.

While there is no excuse for his behaviour there is also an opportunity for the game to assist in helping him rebuild this life. It is not a decision that has been entered into lightly by the Warriors in signing the player. He understands the chance he has been given by the Warriors club.

In the seven years since this terrible attack occurred Shaun was sentenced to 18 months in jail and he has been involved in an extensive rehabilitation process.

He was only allowed to return to play in the local NZRL after detailed approaches from experts in social and justice bodies involved in his rehabilitation outlined the importance of him being given a second chance in an environment he was capable of achieving in.

The NZRL has also spoken with the young girl and her family. The NZRL understands that the family does not feel he should be able to play football again but that experts believed the best way for Shaun to succeed in his rehabilitation was to again play sport.

It is only recently that the Australian Government lifted the ban on Shaun entering Australia and having been given detailed accounts of his rehabilitation path the NZ Warriors have offered him a contract.

He has served a punishment for his crime but at some stage he needs to be given an opportunity to start again. After seven years he now has one and it is up to him to ensure he does not throw it away.

We share your concerns and be assured we will continue to closely monitor Shaun's involvement in the game.

Translation: we absolve our responsibility to make a stand about the calibre of people and standard we expect from people who represent the game and you as members and stakeholders of the sport.
I got this response too. What a load of BS. Completely unimpressed and I am angrier than ever.

Nashy, at about 28-29 is when you start to become bitter and write letters, it's the age you start to realise that you are actually in a position to make a stand for something you believe in rather than just whingeing and moaning about it.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Picking up : Shaun Metcalf
Dumping : Reece Robinson

*oops wrong window*

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
I chatted through this situation with my wife yesterday, and only now getting to post. She works in the area of offender rehab and restorative justice. Her primary comment was this - "what does the girl say?". We can have our opinions, but what does the girl who got victimised think about her attacker playing NRL?

I thought it was a wonderful perspective. When I read todays posts I got all excited that the NZRL actually did ask the girl what she thought. I was utterly horrified to see they ignored what she thought. [icon_ee

Now I really am at a loss :cry:

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Nashy said:
I'm wondering if you actually know the meaning of empathy. Because in none of my posts have I really given an idication of a lack of empathy, I was only sharing my opinion on the player himself, not the girl or her family. In my argument, they really don't play any part.
Sorry mate, that is exactly what lack of empathy is.

You're saying that as long as it's legal, it doesn't matter what he does, even if this causes more pain and psychological stress to the victims.

You're basically putting the criminal's needs ahead that of his victims. How is that okay?

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Is Metcalf getting any visits to his child?

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Porthoz said:
Nashy said:
I'm wondering if you actually know the meaning of empathy. Because in none of my posts have I really given an idication of a lack of empathy, I was only sharing my opinion on the player himself, not the girl or her family. In my argument, they really don't play any part.

You're saying that as long as it's legal, it doesn't matter what he does, even if this causes more pain and psychological stress to the victims.

You're basically putting the criminal's needs ahead that of his victims. How is that okay?

How is it ok that you hang another human out to dry, and don't allow him to move on from those events, and do what he's good at?

If you want to use that argument, one could argue that it is your side of the argument who lacks empathy.

If anything, I'm showing him compassion, which you guys aren't. So when you're all ready to put forward an argument that can't relate to you as well, I'm more than happy to read it, take it in, and respond.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Nashy said:
Porthoz said:
Nashy said:

How is it ok that you hang another human out to dry, and don't allow him to move on from those events, and do what he's good at?

If you want to use that argument, one could argue that it is your side of the argument who lacks empathy.

If anything, I'm showing him compassion, which you guys aren't. So when you're all ready to put forward an argument that can't relate to you as well, I'm more than happy to read it, take it in, and respond.

/Thread

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Nashy said:
Porthoz said:
Nashy said:

Not wanting him in the NRL is hanging him out to dry, really?
He can't do a trade apprenticeship or just get a job as a factory worker, still have a meaningful life and care for his family?
No, instead it's okay to be a thorn in the eyes of the woman and child he tried to murder, as well as their family and all the other women/children abused and battered that are confronted with this.

You have compassion for the criminal but none for the victims! How do you explain that?

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I'm sorry for what happened to her, I truly am. I couldn't imagine what she was going through. But I'm sure I've covered this over, and over, and over.

He was offered a job at the Warriors being a football player. It doesn't matter how you look at the NRL, it's nothing more than a job.

Sometimes people feel like they are getting the raw end of the deal. In this situation, the bad guy is getting a better deal.

Life's a bitch.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Porthoz said:
Nashy said:
Porthoz said:
Nashy said:

Not wanting him in the NRL is hanging him out to dry, really?
He can't do a trade apprenticeship or just get a job as a factory worker, still have a meaningful life and care for his family?
No, instead it's okay to be a thorn in the eyes of the woman and child he tried to murder, as well as their family and all the other women/children abused and battered that are confronted with this.

You have compassion for the criminal but none for the victims! How do you explain that?

Are you just reading what you want to read? i dont recall Nashy EVER saying he has no compassion for the victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • Santa
  • davidp
  • Galco
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • Footy Fanatic
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BRC088
  • Maroon4life
  • Fatboy
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.