VOTE Should Milford be dropped immediately?

Should Milford be dropped immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • No, that would be too easy. He should suffer longer.

Votes: 16 12.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Finbar

Finbar

QCup Player
May 21, 2018
And the uncommitted, non tackling peaheart?

Are you talking about Boyd? He's been making his tackles this year, although I've been a bit worried with his headfirst tackling technique for his own safety's sake.

Boyd - 101 tackles, 6 missed (6% miss rate)

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Sure, there's a couple in there but really?

Sure let's review but without your desperation to 'prove you're right'.

There were a couple of players in the team that could be considered 'stars'.
Boyd, Gasnier, Cooper, Brett Morris.

After that though there's fuckall. I suppose you could call kiwi reps stars but not guys who were NOT state or country representatives like Beau Scott, Dean Young, Soward, Ben Hornby. Country Origin hopeful does not a star make. Another error was Matt Prior who was not a representative in any arena in 2010. Even Brett Morris never represented until coached by WB. Like Weyman he blossomed. Then there's Jarrod Saffy, another who never represented but WB coached him in league. You see, he was a Sth African and didn't know league but WB got him into the gf.

Sure WB had a few solid A graders like Costigan, Nightingale, Fein, Jeremy Smith and Trent Merrin but **** me, stars no way.

It's incredible the reach to justify a ludicrous claim.

Without getting in the middle of this......I think his intial point was fair enough. That Dragon's team had it's fair share of representative players. Weather or not that makes them "stars" is simply you nit picking the point........and your personal jabs at him, for essentially doing what you are doing, is hypocritical at best.

Last edited:
Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
Do they count a missed tackle when he just throws his hands in the air though or watches them run past him when he's out of position? :P

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Without getting in the middle of this......I think his intial point was fair enough. That Dragon's team had it's fair share of representative players. Weather or not that makes them "stars" is simply you nit picking.
And the team roster as a whole was perfect for Bennett ball too.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Do they count a missed tackle when he just throws his hands in the air though or watches them run past him when he's out of position? :P
That's the problem with tackling stats. What isn't taken into account about ineffective or missed tackles is the fact they were at least attempted, and how likely they were to be successful.
A stretched arm tackle is often a last ditch attempt with very low probability of success, yet will be recorded as missed.
Raised arms complaining about something instead of attempting a tackle will not be counted in the stats...

S

Slippin Jimmy

QCup Player
Jun 8, 2017
Boyd has actually been pretty impressive with his one-on-one defence, so the argument that he's a pea heart doesn't wash. His positional play and coordination with his 5/8 and winger though has been questionable, though it's hard from our position to determine who the bulk of the blame lies with.

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
Boyd has actually been pretty impressive with his one-on-one defence, so the argument that he's a pea heart doesn't wash.
But then there's incidents like the bombed try against the Roosters, where he saw Tupou coming and pulled out of the catch instead of taking the hit and scoring a certain try.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
That's the problem with tackling stats. What isn't taken into account about ineffective or missed tackles is the fact they were at least attempted, and how likely they were to be successful.
A stretched arm tackle is often a last ditch attempt with very low probability of success, yet will be recorded as missed.
Raised arms complaining about something instead of attempting a tackle will not be counted in the stats...

Agreed.....an interesting stat would be how many tackles he attempted to make, when comparing percentages for tackles made vs tackle missed. Forwards are directed to run at the little men...ie: the halves. If you have these big ***** running at you all game, it stands to reason you are going to miss a few. Lockyer was abysmal at times in his defence because of it.

That said.......like Lockyer, I am not that concerned about how many tackles Milford is missing. We didn't plug him into our team for his defence. However, unlike Lockyer......Milford's performance with the ball in hand deserves criticism. This is the only critique that is worthy of any mention.

Finbar

Finbar

QCup Player
May 21, 2018
Agreed.....an interesting stat would be how many tackles he attempted to make, when comparing percentages for tackles made vs tackle missed.

I posted the tackles made and tackles missed a little bit earlier, so in Milf's case, he has attempted 77 tackles, made 60 and missed 17 which means he's missing 22% of his tackles. They've actually been running more traffic at Croft who has attempted 117 tackles, made 105 and missed 12, so he's got a miss rate of around 10%.

Despite having 1.5 times the traffic being directed his way, Croft is over twice as reliable when it comes to making his tackles when compared to Milford.

Milford - 60 tackles, 17 missed (22%)
Carrigan - 220 tackles, 12 missed (5%)
Croft - 105 tackles, 12 missed (10%)
Hopoate - 132 tackles, 12 missed (8%)

Milf seems to be a fair way off the pace, especially compared to his halves partner. Croft has had to make 45 more tackles but has missed 5 less.

Some of the other standouts are below, but there's still quite a gap between them and Milford:

Arthars - 47 tackles, 8 missed (15%)
Isaako - 29 tackles, 5 missed (15%)
TPJ - 56 tackles, 9 missed (14%)
Staggs - 50 tackles, 5 missed (9%)

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Without getting in the middle of this......I think his intial point was fair enough. That Dragon's team had it's fair share of representative players. Weather or not that makes them "stars" is simply you nit picking the point........and your personal jabs at him, for essentially doing what you are doing, is hypocritical at best.
No, his point is, in my humble opinion a crock of shit. The team had no more stars than others. I don't see it as hypocritical as he was the one making a claim. I reject the claim as it's unsupported by evidence. His run down of this 'superteam' was disingenuous with the bulk of the team having little more than a country origin jumper( trial game jumper) or a kiwi test berth as their supporting evidence for superstar status.

A quick look at any other team would show the same thing with some teams having way more top talent. His whole point was that WB could only win with a team of stars but St George certainly was not such a team.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Without getting in the middle of this......I think his intial point was fair enough. That Dragon's team had it's fair share of representative players. Weather or not that makes them "stars" is simply you nit picking the point........and your personal jabs at him, for essentially doing what you are doing, is hypocritical
Benett being a good coach is a myth, he has only won titles with star studded teams.

That's the claim. I reject that claim not because I'm nitpicking but because it's demonstrably false. If 4 genuine stars makes a team star studded well then yes, he's correct but I don't believe 4 to be enough for that lofty description.

The Roosters had their fair share of stars too with SKD, JWH ,Nate Myles, Braith Anasta, Minichello, Mitchell Pearce, Jason Ryles who were all big name players, stars if you want. The Roosters were arguably better described as 'star studded'. I just prefer facts to the colourful rewriting of history.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
5E0ED473 2069 4C30 8737 6EFAA5517112

Don’t mind me I’m just stirring it up a bit.

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
Benett being a good coach is a myth, he has only won titles with star studded teams.

That's the claim. I reject that claim not because I'm nitpicking but because it's demonstrably false. If 4 genuine stars makes a team star studded well then yes, he's correct but I don't believe 4 to be enough for that lofty description.

The Roosters had their fair share of stars too with SKD, JWH ,Nate Myles, Braith Anasta, Minichello, Mitchell Pearce, Jason Ryles who were all big name players, stars if you want. The Roosters were arguably better described as 'star studded'. I just prefer facts to the colourful rewriting of history.
Sorry mate, Braith was not a star. He was complete dogshit.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Sorry mate, Braith was not a star. He was complete dogshit.
Well I really didn't rate him highly either but no one can deny the players I mentioned for the Roosters were not big name players, as I wrote, stars if you want. Truthfully, I should have been a little more accurate when I wrote the Roosters had their share of stars, big name well known players might have been better.

Unread

Active Now

• Strop
  • Dash
  • Nerd
  • Jedhead
  • Battler
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Skyblues87
  • eazy-duzzit
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Johnny92
  • Morkel
  • Culhwch
  • broncotville
  • Aldo
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Old Mate
  • Robboi_321
  • KickHaas
  • Waynesaurus
  • GCBRONCO
... and 47 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.