VOTE Should Milford be dropped immediately?

Should Milford be dropped immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • No, that would be too easy. He should suffer longer.

Votes: 16 12.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I posted the tackles made and tackles missed a little bit earlier, so in Milf's case, he has attempted 77 tackles, made 60 and missed 17 which means he's missing 22% of his tackles. They've actually been running more traffic at Croft who has attempted 117 tackles, made 105 and missed 12, so he's got a miss rate of around 10%.

Despite having 1.5 times the traffic being directed his way, Croft is over twice as reliable when it comes to making his tackles when compared to Milford.

Agreeable.......but again, if I had anything to do with it .......I aint spending money on Milford for his defence. If your gonna drop him, it has to be for his lack of involvement in attack. I'm prepared to wait a bit longer to see if his has completely lost his touch in this regard.

TBH....I couldn't give 2 ***** if he misses a few tackles. Using Lockyer as an example again...Locky had Tonie Carroll looking out for him. Who's looking out for Milford?

If we're talking about dropping players ......we should be looking at our forward pack first.

TheGreatCornholio7

TheGreatCornholio7

QCup Player
Jun 11, 2020
No, his point is, in my humble opinion a crock of shit. The team had no more stars than others. I don't see it as hypocritical as he was the one making a claim. I reject the claim as it's unsupported by evidence. His run down of this 'superteam' was disingenuous with the bulk of the team having little more than a country origin jumper( trial game jumper) or a kiwi test berth as their supporting evidence for superstar status.

A quick look at any other team would show the same thing with some teams having way more top talent. His whole point was that WB could only win with a team of stars but St George certainly was not such a team.
11 of the 17 played For Australia and 15 of the 17 played State of Origin so your claim most were city/country players is just FALSE. The fact is the so called super coach only ever took an appointment with clubs who had stacked rosters (except Newcastle). The funny thing is he had the opportunity to go to South Sydney and win the inevitable 2014 premiership but opted instead to take the big money at Newcastle and I'm glad he did as if he won at Souths the super coach myth would have falsely been perpetuated to unbearable levels.

Last edited:
Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Back on track?

Milford should not be dropped. His lack of involvement is a symptom of our team having little attacking opportunities, not a cause. If anything Croft's job should be directing the plays, trying to create fatigue in certain areas of the defensive line so they can be exploited. But then how can he do that if the opposition if fresh and we're stuffed because we have had no possession. Fix our discipline - penalties and errors - before blaming Milford.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Did it actually make it to the video ref? I thought it was just blown.

It happened in the lead up to the first try, a couple of plays before Soward put in the kick through to Gaz.

Morkel said:
Milford should not be dropped. His lack of involvement is a symptom of our team having little attacking opportunities, not a cause. If anything Croft's job should be directing the plays, trying to create fatigue in certain areas of the defensive line so they can be exploited. But then how can he do that if the opposition if fresh and we're stuffed because we have had no possession. Fix our discipline - penalties and errors - before blaming Milford.

I remember Bennett writing about stars having rough patches in his book and how in 94 Alfie was playing terrible footy. However he felt it would do more harm than good long term so he showed him some faith and Langer responded the following four seasons where he was playing his best footy.

It's different in the case of Milford where he doesn't have the runs on the board, but he is one of the star players of this team as it currently stands and Seibs is giving him an opportunity to find his feet against easier opposition.

I still think we'll Dearden in some form or fashion over the next couple of weeks. I would not be shocked at all if he comes into the 17 for the Gold Coast game, I get the impression the Broncos are trying to shield him from any media scrutiny.

Lord knows what would happen if Tom doesn't kill it from the get go.

"Fair dinkum Kenty, they've put all their trust in a 19 year old who quite frankly isn't that good. I don't mean to sound critical, but he maybe the shittest half in the game and the Broncos have rocks in their head for ever thinking he could take them to another premiership.

You know who could have taken them there? Tanah Boyd. You know who else? Sam Walker. Where are they? Boyd couldn't get an opportunity so he went down the road to the Gold Coast Titans who are a real team of the future. Walker was correctly idenitified by Sydney Roosters as the best halfback to come along since god himself Joey and he's being groomed for a premiership tilt in 2022. Paul White and Anthony Seibold have destroyed this club and it's going to take decades for anybody to repair that club."

Sorry for any future spoilers.

Last edited:
Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I really don’t think Dearden is the answer.

I can’t say I’ve watched all of his games, but from what I’ve seen of him, he’s a very similar player to Croft. And I just don’t see how that would work to have two halves with similar playing styles controlling the attack. Not without someone else in the spine that can offer something different.

All of the best halves combos in the game in recent years, they had different playing styles.

Probably the most successful, Cronk and Keary. Two different styles.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
No sir , not even close.
Croft isn't the player some people think he is , dearden is an out and out half .

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
No sir , not even close.
Croft isn't the player some people think he is , dearden is an out and out half .

I actually really fear for Dearden .... because if this 19 year old kid isn't our savior and doesn't immediately turn our fortunes around, then Broncos fans and the media will turn on him in a heartbeat ...

That could be detrimental for him ... and the likely reason he is being protected by his coach

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I actually really fear for Dearden .... because if this 19 year old kid isn't our savior and doesn't immediately turn our fortunes around, then Broncos fans and the media will turn on him in a heartbeat ...

That could be detrimental for him ... and the likely reason he is being protected by his coach

I don’t think so. I think most fans have been very patient with guys like Flegler, Turpin, Coates, shit even Offa is only just now starting to cop some flack. Milford was defended by most fans until a week or two ago when it hit tipping point.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
11 of the 17 played For Australia and 15 of the 17 played State of Origin so your claim most were city/country players is just FALSE. The fact is the so called super coach only ever took an appointment with clubs who had stacked rosters (except Newcastle). The funny thing is he had the opportunity to go to South Sydney and win the inevitable 2014 premiership but opted instead to take the big money at Newcastle and I'm glad he did as if he won at Souths the super coach myth would have falsely been perpetuated to unbearable levels.
No they didn't! That's utter crap. 15 of 17 huh? Played SOO?
Boyd, Costigan, Gasnier, Cooper, Morris and Beau Scott(made Origin debut in 2010 after both being coached for 2009 by WB)Weyman, Ben Hornby, Ben Creagh.

So who are the other six? I count 9 with Scott and Morris making their debuts in mid 2010. So WB coached them to SOO level.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
14/17 went onto play Origin, 10/17 had played Origin prior to the Grand Final, 6/17 had played Origin prior to Bennett's tenure at St George. The one player missing from Huge's list is Nathan Fien who played one game off the bench for Queensland in a losing effort nine years prior.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I wonder what everyone thinks about sipping from the poison chalice called Kieran Foran. He’s completely plagued by injury and is big gamble but he’s tough as nails and would be a great partner for Dearden or Croft. Premiership winner, very experienced, can tackle when his shoulder is attached and is just about to turn 30. He’s off contract.

Would anyone enquire about moving Milford on and collecting Foran for 2 years?

on an unrelated note, I’d also look at getting Tom Opecic back to play left centre of the price is right.

1.Niu
2. Farnworth
3. Opecic
4. Staggs
5. Coates
6. Foran
7. Dearden
8. Lodge (c)
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. TPJ
12. Fifita
13. Carrigan

14. Paix
15. Offa
16. Flegler
17. Bullemor

Last edited:
M

Maroon4life

QCup Player
May 28, 2016
I wonder what everyone thinks about sipping from the poison chalice called Kieran Foran. He’s completely plagued by injury and is big gamble but he’s tough as nails and would be a great partner for Dearden or Croft. Premiership winner, very experienced, can tackle when his shoulder is attached and is just about to turn 30. He’s off contract.

Would anyone enquire about moving Milford on and collecting Foran for 2 years?

Nah, risk is too high for another Bird type scenario.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
It happened in the lead up to the first try, a couple of plays before Soward put in the kick through to Gaz.

I remember Bennett writing about stars having rough patches in his book and how in 94 Alfie was playing terrible footy. However he felt it would do more harm than good long term so he showed him some faith and Langer responded the following four seasons where he was playing his best footy.

It's different in the case of Milford where he doesn't have the runs on the board, but he is one of the star players of this team as it currently stands and Seibs is giving him an opportunity to find his feet against easier opposition.

I still think we'll Dearden in some form or fashion over the next couple of weeks. I would not be shocked at all if he comes into the 17 for the Gold Coast game, I get the impression the Broncos are trying to shield him from any media scrutiny.

Lord knows what would happen if Tom doesn't kill it from the get go.

"Fair dinkum Kenty, they've put all their trust in a 19 year old who quite frankly isn't that good. I don't mean to sound critical, but he maybe the shittest half in the game and the Broncos have rocks in their head for ever thinking he could take them to another premiership.

You know who could have taken them there? Tanah Boyd. You know who else? Sam Walker. Where are they? Boyd couldn't get an opportunity so he went down the road to the Gold Coast Titans who are a real team of the future. Walker was correctly idenitified by Sydney Roosters as the best halfback to come along since god himself Joey and he's being groomed for a premiership tilt in 2022. Paul White and Anthony Seibold have destroyed this club and it's going to take decades for anybody to repair that club."

Sorry for any future spoilers.

Great post.

However, how do you mean Milford "... he doesn't have the runs on the board," ? I think he does.

Let us remind ourselves again exactly why we bought Milford, and what this club has done to him over successive seasons, coaching his natural game out of him, using him as Mr Fixit.

I so hope he regains his form. Dearden will never be a MIlford, nor Foran, nor any other 5/8 save Lockyer or a few other true greats.

And as parting shot to those who criticise Milford for his defence, as others have posted, we didn't buy him for his defence.

Fingers crossed.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Great post.

However, how do you mean Milford "... he doesn't have the runs on the board," ? I think he does.

Let us remind ourselves again exactly why we bought Milford, and what this club has done to him over successive seasons, coaching his natural game out of him, using him as Mr Fixit.

I so hope he regains his form. Dearden will never be a MIlford, nor Foran, nor any other 5/8 save Lockyer or a few other true greats.

And as parting shot to those who criticise Milford for his defence, as others have posted, we didn't buy him for his defence.

Fingers crossed.

Past form aside, having a shit coach, being misused in the past or any other excuse that wants to be made for Milford doesn't explain his lack of running, he doesn't need a fucking game plan for that

TheGreatCornholio7

TheGreatCornholio7

QCup Player
Jun 11, 2020
No they didn't! That's utter crap. 15 of 17 huh? Played SOO?
Boyd, Costigan, Gasnier, Cooper, Morris and Beau Scott(made Origin debut in 2010 after both being coached for 2009 by WB)Weyman, Ben Hornby, Ben Creagh.

So who are the other six? I count 9 with Scott and Morris making their debuts in mid 2010. So WB coached them to SOO level.
check it out you know it all. It does not matter when the played origin they still did. Bennett did not genetically modify these blokes. I guess you think Darren Lockyer only had the ability to play origin because Bennett coached him? Your logic is flawed and your argument is weak.

Last edited:
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Past form aside, having a shit coach, being misused in the past or any other excuse that wants to be made for Milford doesn't explain his lack of running, he doesn't need a fucking game plan for that

It does explain a lot. It doesn't explain everything, true however, I posted this for perspective, for why it is worth giving him a bit more time to see if he can regain what he has buried inside him, and to address a point Pete made about Milford not having runs on the board. He has, and that's why as Bennett did with Alfie, Milford deserves a chance, last chance though it may be.

Last edited:
Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
His teammates also have to give him a chance. I’ve softened a little on him over the last few days but I want to make clear that this in no way makes out that I’m suggesting he’s been ok. He hasn’t and he needs a massive end of season to even justify being re-signed on half his current contract.

What I’m saying though is that he looked better was trying his butt off the longer the game went on last week but the team was giving up and giving him absolutely nothing to work with. There were no runners, no decoys and absolutely no idea. That lack of structure is on the coach but that lack of direction and inspiration is on Milf. He’s the marquee, he’s the one who has to inspire his team to make those runs and to trust in him.

I’m willing to give him another week or two but I’m especially willing to give him more time than the other overpaid hasbeen in the centres who just had no justifiable reason to still be there, even with injuries.

Last edited:

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Culhwch
  • Waynesaurus
  • broncotville
  • Harry Sack
  • Skyblues87
  • Galco
  • LittleDavey
  • Horseheadsup
  • Nerd
  • FACTHUNT
  • Robboi_321
  • mystico
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Santa
  • Dash
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  • KickHaas
... and 49 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.