Status
Not open for further replies.
Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Agreed Coxy, to much self interest.
If that debate showed anything at all last night it was the diversity of opinion, and nobody has many answers or any quick fix. It was a bit of a rabble really, with a few good ideas.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Lots of brainstorming ideas, but you'd need to look at each one and do some analysis to see what impact it could have on the game in 1, 5, 10 years. As I keep saying, we can't make SNAP decisions now. Action would be good, but it needs to be carefully considered.

For that matter, to put our foot down now and say we are keeping our current 16 clubs for at least 5 years is a stupid thing to say too.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
How disappointing, Gallop has pretty much said nothing is going to change. Dire.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I would've been happier if he said they were setting up a working group to research the Sydney market in great detail, as well as Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, northern NSW, Sunshine Coast etc...getting some REAL demographic and corporate data to make OBJECTIVE decisions about what to do.

And that they're going to make that information public to league fans.

At the moment we're taking his word that WA can't support a team, there's not enough support etc. We're taking his word for it that Sydney NEEDS all those clubs because people go home over the bridge and don't want to go back again until Monday (WTF?).

Surely they've done SOME research, and if they're making the decision to keep the 16 clubs we've got there has to be SOME basis for it. I, as a stakeholder in rugby league who pays my $400 or so every year for a season ticket involving at least 2 or 3 games that are dead boring against suburbs of Sydney I don't give a **** about, has a right to know.

Hamm.0

Hamm.0

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Dexter said:
Gallop has nothing to do with where the games are played, the clubs take them to Telstra because they can make more money due to the subsidies being payed.

This issue should be taken up by the fans with their clubs, and when the clubs say, ok, we'll have all the games at Leichardt but we'll have to charge an xtra $10 per person to make the same $ then see how many fans turn up.

Thank god someone here actually understands this!!!!!

The NRL didn't make the clubs go to ANZ, the clubs chose!!!! No one seems to want to bring that up.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I disagree. I think the NRL should release the draw at the start of the year, including venues, and that's it. They TELL the clubs where their games are being played.

I don't care if it means the Tigers play 5 games at Leichhardt and lose out on $300K of revenue, that's for them to work out. Games @ ANZ with < 30000 people = absolutely disastrous advertisement for rugby league.

Hamm.0

Hamm.0

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Oh no, you misunderstand me Coxy. I'm just trying to illustrate the fact that people are asking Gallop why they are using ANZ. The clubs chose that venue, not the NRL. The club got a good deal from the venue, so they ran with it.

I guess this ties into the arguement that the NRL need to take power of the clubs and start dictating whats going to happen, where and when it will happen.

As for the Draw....10000000% agree.

Hamm.0

Hamm.0

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Hammo said:
I guess this ties into the arguement that the NRL need to take power of the clubs and start dictating whats going to happen, where and when it will happen.

That is a grammatical error and you didn't pick it up!

w00t

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
dont know if these have been posted...

Q: How many SBW's does it take to change a light bulb?

A: None.

Sonny Bill prefers to keep people in the dark

Q: Whats the difference between SBW and my house?

A: My house still has fans

Q: Why wouldn't SBW ever catch his best mate with his girlfriend?

A: Sonny bill doesn’t walk in on his mates,

He walks out on them

J

Je$ter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
What do the Bulldogs and Cher have in common?

They both got f*cked by Sonny.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Q. What's the difference between Sonny and a bus Route?

A. You know when the bus route is departing.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
The Rock said:
Interesting Footy Show debate tonight.

Nothing has changed my thoughts though.

1. No, the sky isn't falling BUT the game isn't headed into the right direction IMO. I think the NRL need to be strategically creative, because quite frankly they do not have the money to throw around like the AFL and ARU do. (For example, reduce the amount of night games to improve quality of the game and get bums on seats in Sydney. Also, there are many rules and regulations in our game that MUST be tweaked in order to help improve the quality of our product on the field. )

2. Our on field product is of a low standard. A low standard game will not attract fans to a game and it will NOT encourage new supporters to our game. As I said in point 1, rules of the game need to be tweaked to ensure a better standard.

3. 16 teams too much - IMO, there is simply not enough quality and talent to spread over 16 teams. I think we should have a 14 team comp (or less). To think that they are looking to introduce the Central Coast AND another Brisbane team just makes me annoyed. QUALITY OVER QUANTITY. If they want to introduce Brisbane and the CC, then get rid of 2 Sydney teams first.

4. Teams in Perth, Adelaide etc will never, EVER work. There simply isn't enough support or rugby league development in these 2 cities to hold another NRL team. It'll never grow strong. Strong = the East coast of Australia, and that's where rugby league should stay forever. Who cares if it's not "national". Do we want teams just for the sake of national, or will it really improve our game? (Note: Melbourne was a mistake IMO).

5. Players going over-seas - Something needs to be done. It's a growing trend, we need incentives for players to stay in Australia. We can't just sit on our hands and say that nothing really can be done, because it can.

6. Gallop is a little bit out of touch. He said on the footy show that people would rather sit down on comfy seats under-cover at Telstra stadium 12 times a year rather than stand up in the sun, in the crowd at Lichardtt oval for 12 game a year. Try telling Tigers fans that!!!!! Idiot!

Perth have a junior base, and junior comps over there going nuts, the few people I've spoken to over there have told me they love League.

Hamm.0

Hamm.0

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Nashy said:
Perth have a junior base, and junior comps over there going nuts, the few people I've spoken to over there have told me they love League.

Nashy, I hate to admit it mate, but the NRL missed the boat on Perth. They still can't turn a coin in Melbourne, Perth will be massivly impossible.

More the reason to look to the furtue and capture Darwin in it's infancy!!!

A

Abe The Cop

QCup Player
Mar 13, 2008
You know what i'm dissapointed with, the lack of good SBW photoshops. :P

G

guppy

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Hammo said:
Nashy, I hate to admit it mate, but the NRL missed the boat on Perth. They still can't turn a coin in Melbourne, Perth will be massivly impossible.

Yep. I didn't meet a single person that gave two hoots about League in Perth.

It was all Force/Eagles/Dockers. Even people that had moved over from the east a few years ago gave up on League because no-one else cares about it!

Perth was a great city to live in for a while, but at the same time it was one of the darkest periods of my (League) life... [icon_wink

Hamm.0

Hamm.0

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
guppy said:
Hammo said:

Yep. I didn't meet a single person that gave two hoots about League in Perth.

It was all Force/Eagles/Dockers. Even people that had moved over from the east a few years ago gave up on League because no-one else cares about it!

Perth was a great city to live in for a while, but at the same time it was one of the darkest periods of my (League) life... [icon_wink

I used to go down to this dingy pub named "Captain Stirling", because it was the only place I KNEW no one would be there to ask me to turn the NRL over to AFL.

I just don't think the NRL could turn a buck in Perth.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Surely you need St George/Illawarra? I don't know much about the lie of the land in Sydney but I do know a great many good players come out of their juniors.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The Rock said:
P.S. We should put this thread into the Pool Room when it's done, that way in years down the track we can come back to it and see how the game is going and where it's heading and who had the best judgement!

Unless you decide to do some "maintenance" again sometime :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • teampjta
  • Justwin
  • Browny
  • Dash
  • broncs30
  • Astro
  • thenry
  • peter09
  • winslow_wong
  • Gympie devil
  • johnny plath
  • Allo
  • Fatboy
  • Foordy
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.