State of Origin - Game II - Post Match Discussion

They marched all over DCE and it gave them easy momentum through the middle. Thank god we held a comfortable lead.

McQueen was average though, but he ran some decent lines and made some important tackles.

I dare say DCE would not have got a run if we weren't comfortably winning. Great to see him blooded.

McQueen.. I think Gillett played better and has the edge on him if I had to pick one to start the game.

WE ARE GOING TO PLAY THE BLUES TONIGHT? CAN YOU FEEL IT! WE ARE GOING TO SLAY THE BLUES TONIGHT! CAN YOU FEEL IT? BLOW AWAY THE BLUES TONIGHT! CAN YOU FEEL IT? SEND THEM BACK SOUTH WHERE THEY BELONG, CAN'T YOU FEEL A BIG WIN COMING ON! :thumbup1:

wasnt that a xxxx ad?

Queenslander!!!!!!!

This great panacea that "one punch and you're off" is so short-sighted and against 105 years of precedent.

I don't know how much worse your conduct on the field can get than taking matters into your own hands and king hitting another blind-sided player.

IMO Merrin's punch is in the same category as Danny Williams king hit on Mark O'Neill.

The correct decision under the old way would should have been Merrin goes to the sin bin, probably Hodges too for second man in. Fair enough, even though Merrin should have been sent off and Hodges was reaction was pretty mild considering the level of provocation from Merrin.

For Merrin then receive the same punishment as the player you hit, who doesn't retaliate, is inherently and grossly unfair and unjust.

Why don't the on-field referrees and Daniel Anderson get this?

Why did they not penalise Gallen for lying in the ruck before it got out of hand? Why did they not penalise Tate for pushing Gallen?

Just looking at the mins played by the players, Mcqueen played the longest out of our pack, with 65 mins. That surprised me. Parker only got 57, i think he should be getting the most mins. Teo played 51 and only did 4 hitups. Papalii got 11 mins and did 5. T'eo needs to get involved more for sure.

The first penalty was definitely against Gallen for holding, few people seem to remember that.

Apparently it was all triggered by Slaters elbow on Pearce.

Tate didn't throw one, I was wrong, but Hodges was throwing cheap shots and I stand by that.

So you agree that it should have been Merrin and Hodges gone? Or do you think Tate should have gone also?

While the match review committee ruled Slater's elbow was "accidental" and he escaped penalty, it has been confirmed that Slater said "one-all, c...," after swinging his elbow at Pearce
:loool: Love you Billy!!!

As for our forwards, Parker should player 80 or at least close, IMO he's just about the best back rower in the game on current form.
McQueen is doing his job but IMO he'd probably be below everyone else in the forward pack so I don't agree he should play the most minutes but can't argue with Mal, the guy is clearly made to coach origin and knows how its done so it's pretty easy to accept his choices.

For the next game I'd like to see Papalli get more minutes (please destroy Renoylds) by taking game time from McQueen and I'd like to see Hannant in for DCE, other than that we just need to play with the intensity we did yesterday and I can see us wrapping up 8 in a row.

EDIT: Before I forget, Scott is also awesome, machine!

Last edited:
I thought McQueen was once again worthless. Hopefully Hannant or Shillo come in for him. I thought DCE went OK, defended well like I knew he would, but wasn't really needed in attack - Cronk, Smith and Thurston were on their game.

I didn't think it would work.... but the DCE, Smith, JT & Cronk all being on the field at the same time experiment looked pretty good.

I didn't think it would work.... but the DCE, Smith, JT & Cronk all being on the field at the same time experiment looked pretty good.
I don't know, I didn't think DCE offered anything of value. I see why Mal did it, I just don't agree. I think Hannant would offer more off the bench.

Last edited:
I also agree IHG. Definitely only two in the bin. At the end of the day it made no difference but did make the refs look stupid for their over reactions . Going by the standard imposed several others should have been binned for coming in with intent. It would have been a game of sevens if all players were treated the same !

I don't know, I didn't think DCE offered anything of value. I see why Mal did it, I just don't agree. I think Hannant would offer more off the bench.

I've got to watch the game again but, DCE seemed to slot in as an extra man outside either Cronk or JT (depending on which side of the field it went to) and it looked pretty good. A t one stage I saw it go through DCE to JT to Cronk......it was exciting to watch.

So once again NSW is trying to justify Merrin's punch by saying it was retaliation to Slater's elbow. Yet Slater only threw the elbow out because Pearce came in with a dog shot on Slater's head on the ground. So by NSW logic, it's okay to wait until another, uninvolved player is defenceless and king hit them, but it's wrong to immediately strike back when someone dog shots you? Glad we have that one settled.

PS, if Slater did indeed say '1-all', it would have been in response to Pearce's shot, not the happenings in Game 1, in which case I have no issue with it, especially as he was penalised for it (though Pearce really should have been the one penalised).

They played some good footy last night. NSW were grubby through all of it, but I have no idea why people are surprised with that.

Having 4 quality play makers on the field, who all have a good boot, plus two centres who can do a little chip here and there is always brilliant. No matter who has the ball, they have a play maker next to them.

Good game. All I have to say really.

Gallen is in doubt for the third game with a foot injury apparently. A couple of weeks at least. Maloney as well with a suspected fracture to his cheekbone.

I think Hayne and Stewart should be available for the decider, in which case I'd do a straight swap for Merritt and Dugan. Dugan didn't do much wrong, but like most of NSW was smothered to the point of being ineffectual.

Also, Jennings is an absolute passenger. If I was a NSWelshman I would be filthy at the mormons for stealing Hoppa Jr. for his little adventure club expedition. If he had stayed and developed they might have a very talented centre who has his feet on the ground.

Active Now

• heartly87
  • Culhwch
  • broncsgoat
  • MrTickyMcG
  • RolledOates
  • lynx000
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Wolfie
  • Fozz
  • Hoof Hearted
  • GCBRONCO
  • azza.79
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.