State of Origin II - NSW v Queensland - Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mal Meninga to give injured Origin stars time to recover
Queensland coach Mal Meninga says he will give his injured State of Origin stars every chance to prove their fitness ahead of game two in Sydney on June 18.
Johnathan Thurston and Mal Meninga. Source: News Corp Australia
Mal Meninga to give injured Origin stars...Johnathan Thurston and Mal Meninga.
THE sight of Daly Cherry-Evans hobbling in a knee brace is devastating for Queensland fans. But even more so it would seem for Maroons pivot Johnathan Thurston.

While confident of standby No.7 Ben Hunt's ability, Thurston made it clear in camp on the Gold Coast who his first choice Origin II halves partner was in the absence of Cooper Cronk (broken arm).

Asked about the worst case scenario of rookie Broncos half Hunt playing in Sydney next week, an honest Thurston said: “Obviously it wouldn't be ideal but they are the cards we have been dealt.”

Thurston hoped Cherry-Evans would be given until the last minute to prove his fitness for their must win clash but admitted an early call may be needed to ensure quality training with potential debutant Hunt.

Broncos halfback Ben Hunt says he is ready to step up to the task if Daly Cherry-Evans is ruled out of State of Origin game two through injury.
“It's a fine line,” he said.

“Daly knows our structures and the plays.

“It would be nice to have him there for training.

“Hopefully Daly can get a full week on the paddock under his belt.”

Johnathan Thurston in Queensland camp. Source: News Corp Australia
Thurston did not believe rookie Hunt would let anyone down if thrown into the deep but says he'll be running the show next week.

“I am confident of Benny coming in and doing the job. His kicking game has been great this year,” he said.

“I have no problem playing with him in the halves if need be.

“He just needs to do his job. We don't need him to do anything too outstanding.”

Hunt was simply trying to digest the fact he was in an Origin camp on Wednesday.

“I am still trying to get my head around it. Talking to the boys at camp I am pinching myself,” he said.

“And playing alongside Johnathan Thurston and some of the best players in the world would be a dream come true.

“I am not too sure yet of my chances.

“If they pick me, hopefully I am ready.”

But the signs did not look good for Cherry-Evans.

“At the moment confidence is not a word I would use. I am hopeful,” said Cherry-Evans ominously.”

COMMENTS
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on google_plusone_share
Share on reddit
Share on email

0 comments
Sign in

Error Page

Last edited:
Those comments are fair enough, DCE has been around the side for a couple of years and knows the pressure of origin. I would rather him over Hunt too but if DCE is out, Hunt will surprise a lot of people.

“I have no problem playing with him in the halves if need be.

“He just needs to do his job. We don't need him to do anything too outstanding.”

To me this is just JT asserting himself, he will be chomping at the bit after Game 1 and is due a big one.

I don't see any difference in readyness between Hunt and Hodkinson, they're both there to feed the ball to the playmakers. Hunt would be on a leash as to what his role is but would be told to take any opportunities that arise, which wont be often.

Last edited:
Yeah Thurston has every right to say that, of course it's not ideal if Hunt ends up being his halves partner, Cronk and Cherry-Evans have been learning all the structures for several years, Hunt will be fresh to the whole thing and have about a week to learn every single aspect of the team, and then perform to origin standards, unbelievably difficult task.

If Hunt ends up playing on Wednesday and plays well, I'm going to be so stoked.

Error Page

Very interested to see the refereeing standards next week. Hopefully they haven't been sucked in by Daly. Hahaha...

JT was just pretty honest in his interview IMO. JT knows DCE and has played with him. A fair amount of trust has to be involved at Origin level. JT might not even know Hunt so it would be like playing with a stranger.

JT was just pretty honest in his interview IMO. JT knows DCE and has played with him. A fair amount of trust has to be involved at Origin level. JT might not even know Hunt so it would be like playing with a stranger.

Hopefully they've learned from last game though and train in that combination should dce not play.
Interview with mal shows they're pretty tight lipped about all the injuries

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with those comments, he's right, going with a rookie halfback in a decider is far from ideal.

Very strong whispers that DCE has already been ruled out but it is being kept quiet to protect Hunt as much as possible. Interesting!!

Very strong whispers that DCE has already been ruled out but it is being kept quiet to protect Hunt as much as possible. Interesting!!

Wel he is still in a knee brace so I'd be surprised if he is going to be fit.

This game, like most other Origins, will be won in the forwards.

Corey Parker being out is a bit of a blow, he keeps the middle locked down.

But these boys will lift phenomonally, and the key ingredients - Cam Smith and Thurston - are fit and fighting. If Billy can get on the pitch, his energy will be infectious.

Meninga will have to carefully craft a role depending on whether his 7 is DCE (more responsibility) or Hunt (less responsibility).

I'm thinking Hunt will get the nod for the 14 jersey though and DCE will start.

CMON THE MAROONS!!! You win this one, no way in hell NSW are gonna back up in Brisbane, with the Qld cavallry of Inglis and co.

JT not sounding real confident in having ben hunt in the halves. bit snobby i think

I thought that was really poor form from JT. If DCE is out and Hunt has to come in it will be a big enough challenge as it is without his halves partner putting shit like this in the media... it was a really stupid thing to say.

I know everyone loves JT but he can be a real fuckhead at times

You're right, consider flak copped..

Many here seem to value being potentially right about losing over having faith in the boys to stand up in adversity. We are lucky this is only a game of entertainment. I certainly wouldn't want to go to war with a bunch of blokes that value their own egos over the job that needs to be done. Butt then, maybe I have just been watching too much Game of Thrones ;)

FTR, out of the guys you have listed, we still have 8 or 9 out of the 11. No excuses. Shame will be on those that retreat when we win, not on those of us who held belief in adversity if we lose..

Cannot agree with this more.

Those comments are fair enough, DCE has been around the side for a couple of years and knows the pressure of origin. I would rather him over Hunt too but if DCE is out, Hunt will surprise a lot of people.

I'm not questioning the validity of the comments, I mean everyone knows that it is not ideal to have DCE out and we dont need JT the philosopher to tell us this.

I just think with the very real possibility that hunt could be thrown in the deep-end this shit doesnt need to be said by his potential halves partner

If Hunt does play I will be really happy for him, he really deserves it.

Side note, does anyone know what really happened when DT "fell out of bed" a few years ago and hasn't played for qld since?

Side note, does anyone know what really happened when DT "fell out of bed" a few years ago and hasn't played for qld since?

Never heard anything to the contrary, so I just assumed they were being completely honest about what happened...

tumblr_lozbbnIMje1qcce7e.gif

Never heard anything to the contrary, so I just assumed they were being completely honest about what happened...

tumblr_lozbbnIMje1qcce7e.gif

I heard there was an altercation with other players /staff but it's probably rubbish. Hopefully.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Gaz
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Alec
  • HarryAllan7
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.