State of Origin II - NSW v Queensland - Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
The question will be: What do we do with DCE for game three ? Bench again ?

DCE will be halfback. Only reason Hunt was even selected is because of his injury. He isn't going to take the halfback spot away from DCE this year.

I would move DCE back to halfback. As much as I like Hunt, he is not better than DCE.

Last edited:
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
IMO boot McQueen out of the side all together, he adds absolutely nothing and would be better having someone else on the bench.

If he drops to the bench, it's a good start. Then McGuire will need to kill it over the next couple of weeks.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I'd usually be hesitant to start with Guerra in a 2nd row dominated team as he's the best middle third player of the current (2nd row) bunch, but with Lillyman on the bench, we at least have someone to bring on there now.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
I just hope qld don't do a last minute change and put inglis in the halves. hunt has been training there all week, back him to do the job. would love to see hunt kill it!

Yeah, that's a big worry of mine also. Although with Chambers returning to play for Melbourne I doubt that will happen. Unless of course they decide to go with Milford at Centre or wing.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
When will the official QLD team be announced?

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Probably not until the final minute. We'll want to give DCE all the chances of playing in a must win game.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
A lot of articles on Courier Mail have Hunt starting & DCE having to withdraw due to injury.

side might look like this: Slater, Boyd, Inglis, Hodges, Tate, Thurston, Hunt, Scott, Smith, Myles, Guerra, Thaiday, Gillett, Lillyman, Te'o, McQueen, Taylor.

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
I know they'll give him every chance, but I hope they don't put in DCE last minute and undercooked. Class player but we saw how lack of preparation limited his effectiveness in game 1.

Despite being a more rounded player than Hunt, I'd back Ben at full health and match fitness with time training in the team. Big step up for him but he's a tough little guy who reads the play well, and knows his strengths /limitations. A good performance here could do wonders for his confidence.

If we have both Slater and Inglis in as reported, I'm pretty confident of our chances.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I know they'll give him every chance, but I hope they don't put in DCE last minute and undercooked. Class player but we saw how lack of preparation limited his effectiveness in game 1.

Despite being a more rounded player than Hunt, I'd back Ben at full health and match fitness with time training in the team. Big step up for him but he's a tough little guy who reads the play well, and knows his strengths /limitations. A good performance here could do wonders for his confidence.

If we have both Slater and Inglis in as reported, I'm pretty confident of our chances.

If they do, surely they'll have Hunt on the bench. Worst case scenario is that DCE goes down, and we're down one player. But the positive will be that Hunt going on part way through means part of the sting will be out of the Blues defence. And like I said, without DCE they'll think the game is won. If they think pressuring Hunt will make him wilt, then clearly they haven't noticed that he's already been under more pressure than any half and has had to do it all on his own this year. And it'll just take the heat off Thurston. I honestly don't think Hunt will be a negative for Qld.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008

Inglis is our man.

The rock solid JT and Smith show will keep the structure together in what is going to be a low scoring, dour affair.

4 forwards on the bench is the way to go.

Scott needs to have a blinder.

I think we are going to be marginally more desparate.

I dunno.

Qld and NSW share the same motivation - do you want to be part of the team that ended the dynasty?

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
Just saying it again, but the strong rumour is that Hunt will be the starting Halfback. DCE = goooorrrrnnnee.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
They can pressure (and put all the focus on) Hunt, and we can watch JT destroy them.

They need to remember, this isn't club footy for the Broncos, when you really only have one dangerous half to worry about. if you focus solely on Hunt and forget about JT or Inglis or Slater or Hodges etc, then they will have lost the match before they even run out on Wednesday night.

from some of the comments made to the media (especially by Watmough), NSW appear to be getting cocky and if that is a the case, then that will be good for QLD. NSW need to remember, this isn't the first time over the last 8 years that they have won game one only to lose the series.

QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!

Q

Qlder88

NYC Player
May 29, 2014
They can pressure (and put all the focus on) Hunt, and we can watch JT destroy them.

They need to remember, this isn't club footy for the Broncos, when you really only have one dangerous half to worry about. if you focus solely on Hunt and forget about JT or Inglis or Slater or Hodges etc, then they will have lost the match before they even run out on Wednesday night.

from some of the comments made to the media (especially by Watmough), NSW appear to be getting ****y and if that is a the case, then that will be good for QLD. NSW need to remember, this isn't the first time over the last 8 years that they have won game one only to lose the series.

QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!

Damn straight. They don't understand that Qld usually play better with backs against the wall

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
Hunt will do us proud, working with his clubmen will take pressure off of him. I hope that NSW are planning to attack him and forget about our JT, Inglis, Boyd combo.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Hell yes [MENTION=1769]Foordy[/MENTION]

At the risk of my enthusiasm peaking early...

QUEENSLANDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Mick_Hancock
  • Culhwch
  • HarryAllan7
  • Dash
  • Shane Tronc
  • Redfern_1980
  • broncos4life
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.