Storm Vs. Broncos Build Up Thread *Spoiler*

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Guys not sure I think we should be speculating about a player's behaviour before it's made public. The last thing we want is some journo quoting us in the paper even though we have no idea what happened.

Thread back on topic now.

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
I know everyone in the team played ordinary, but I'm ABSOLUTELY sick of Steve Michaels rarely, if ever, passing to his winger. There was a couple of times I thought Michaels coudl have passed it on, and the winger would have had some space down the sideline, but instead, he almost always seems to hold on to it.

I guess this was made more obvious to me by how Greg Inlgis played. Yes, the broncos were ordinary in defence, but Inlgis seems to have a lot better idea on how to position his winger. Tomane ended up scoring 3 tries thanks to Inlgis. If he was playing outside Michaels, he'd be lucky to get 3 for the year.

It's time for the ranga to be dropped. I can't beleive people are talking abot him as a possible origin replacement for hodges.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Michaels is a winger not a centre that is his biggest problem.. He is a solid player playing out of position IMO.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
OXY-351 said:
I know everyone in the team played ordinary, but I'm ABSOLUTELY sick of Steve Michaels rarely, if ever, passing to his winger. There was a couple of times I thought Michaels coudl have passed it on, and the winger would have had some space down the sideline, but instead, he almost always seems to hold on to it.

I guess this was made more obvious to me by how Greg Inlgis played. Yes, the broncos were ordinary in defence, but Inlgis seems to have a lot better idea on how to position his winger. Tomane ended up scoring 3 tries thanks to Inlgis. If he was playing outside Michaels, he'd be lucky to get 3 for the year.

It's time for the ranga to be dropped. I can't beleive people are talking abot him as a possible origin replacement for hodges.

Your missing the point. I think Michaels has a great running game but he hits the ball very flat and gives himself and his winger no time or room to move, which limits his options. It's not that he doesn't want to pass, he just doesn't have the option a lot of the time because he's too flat.

Forget about who prefers what side, backline I would pick is (all fit)

2. Winterstein
3. Folau
4. Hodges
5. Michaels

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Beads6 said:
Michaels is a winger not a centre that is his biggest problem.. He is a solid player playing out of position IMO.

Michaels would do just as poorly on the wing IMO.

He doesn't know how to position himself when we are attacking. He runs the wrong lines or is too far back/forward. It's very frustrating.

Plus, i would never want him on the wing because he is horrendous under the high ball.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Jeba said:
Thought Yow Yeh did some OK runs.

I actually thought Yow Yeh did well all things considered.

We always seem to be outnumbered down his side, but he managed to make some very good tackles on Inglis and Tomane to keep them out.

It's probably the toughest game of the season for the Broncos so he was hardly going to make a massive impression.

B

broncosil

QCup Player
Mar 31, 2008
ningnangnong said:
Jeba said:
Thought Yow Yeh did some OK runs.

I actually thought Yow Yeh did well all things considered.

We always seem to be outnumbered down his side, but he managed to make some very good tackles on Inglis and Tomane to keep them out.

It's probably the toughest game of the season for the Broncos so he was hardly going to make a massive impression.

I thought we were always outnumbered because our wingers don't know how to trust their inside man and stay on the wing. That is one of the reasons why they were able to score so many down the wing. We left huge gaps open out wide.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
broncosil said:
I thought we were always outnumbered because our wingers don't know how to trust their inside man and stay on the wing. That is one of the reasons why they were able to score so many down the wing. We left huge gaps open out wide.

Put it down to inexperience.

B

broncosil

QCup Player
Mar 31, 2008
ningnangnong said:
broncosil said:

Put it down to inexperience.

No doubt, we had a ton of rookies in the side last night, most of which make up our usual side. It is starting to concern me though.

D

ddd

NRL Player
May 14, 2009
OK review time.

I agree with the many posts earlier that we had lost this game before it started. The attitude was disgraceful. I thought our attitude against St George was bad, but this was in a different league. There was certainly no pride in the colours last night.

The positive to take away from last night was McGuire. He was outstanding. Bent the line every time he ran, solid defence (considering). He should be in every starting side from now on, if for no other reason then his performance last night.

Our first 10 were okay, good pressure and structure, but that first try of theirs sent us to shit. Everyone (save McGuire) gave up then. Kenny tried but the one out runs and brilliant ruck defence of Melbourne stopped him in his tracks. Taylor was on for 16 mins then went to the bench. He does not have the fitness to play first grade NRL. The real problem is that he will make 3 good/ great tackles in a stint, but what we need is consistency. A big tackle needs to be followed up with some solid defence, not complacency because of the hit (as evident with their second try).

Wallace was poor, and this wasn't surprising after Wed. He played the same game he did on Wed except he didn't have any room to move because the forwards were ineffectual at creating space. Does raise the question of whicch of the two of Joey's was giving him advice in blues camp. PJ should have be at 9 and McCullough at 6 so at least our 9 was alright. Despite form, Gorrell should have been there for experience, if nothing else. Hunt tried to do everything, he was like Lockyer when we're in the crap, but no-one went with him.

Yow Yeh was terrible and this was due to Folau being poor. He constantly mis-read their attack and went for intercepts (the lazy option) rather then proper tackles as he needed to. This meant that Yow Yeh wasn't able to mark his winger and as such, that winger tore him up. Granted any winger will look good outside GI, even moreso if they are playing a second string side. Corey offered little to nothing, Sims struggled, though as mentioned above, this was mostly Taylor's fault. I don't think I need to say anything about Michaels.

After that performance, something needs to be done. Our defence was pitiful. Granted Melbourne was on fire, but there are no excuses for last night.

[icon_thumbs_do

Hamm.0

Hamm.0

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
ningnangnong said:
Positives: I managed to sit through the whole thing.
Negatives: I managed to sit through the whole thing.

You ahve more patience than me mate.

I gave up around the 30th minute and went out instead. I figure that if they had decided before even running out, that they had lost, then why should I watch?

Let's just hope this is a one-off post Origin game.

It's happened, absolutely nothing good can be taken from it; forget it, don't speak about it, and heads up ready for next week and the rest of the season.

J

Je$ter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
It's simple, one team turned up to play footy last night.

Call it post-Origin or wahtever, but we had one forward backing up, and we got domianted up front in a massive way.

I'm suprised Antonio Winterstien didn't catch hypothermia out there, because Michaels never passed him the ball. Michaels runs lines like Brent Tate, except he's shit. Try Glenn or somebody else in the centres ffs, because Michaels is crap!

Personally I think this loss has been a while coming, I'm yet to see a game where Brisbane really sticks it to a team, like a lot of the times I think players are just going through the motions.

Better turn up next week fellas or the Dogs will make it a very, very long day.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Agree Je$ter. I want to blame Origin but we only had 4 players backing up, none of them forwards. There's no excuse for the complete lack of energy from the likes of Sims, Taylor, Setu etc.

F

forward_pass

QCup Player
Mar 12, 2008
Steve said:
Oh and just to confirm for anyone who hasn't been there - Olympic Park is an absolute shit hole. We were cold, cramped and got crapped on not just by the Storm but their supporters also. They have some very insecure fans. We walked out and copped a barrage of abuse on the way back to Richmond...

I often wondered that, as soon as I saw everyone wearing some sort of merchandise I was eusa_think , little over the top, must have had freebies. Even Vossy I think pointed it out.

I've been to Auckland and expected similar treatment, but was entirely the opposite, could not have been made feel more welcome - one of the highlights of my trip, LOL, we got smashed that day to.

I hope all the Bronco's get whipped at training, literally :evil: not happy at all.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Who thinks we can turn aruond BIG TIME next week under Henjak?
Honestly, I'm seriously scared of what the dogs will do to us if the broncos turn up like that, they will completely rape us 70-0 they have had an awesome attitude and play for the full 80 (and ffs, I do not want to be harassed by bulldogs mates of mine if they smash us :().

I hope Lockyers back and Hodges makes a miracle recovery(yeah right) and we can turn up and play our best game of the year and play for the full 80 minutes committed and enthusiastic.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Why are you guys scared of the dogs?? If you were in a hotel room with them then yeah be scared but you won't be so harden up the Broncos won't put in another performance like last nights.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Beads6 said:
Why are you guys scared of the dogs?? If you were in a hotel room with them then yeah be scared but you won't be so harden up the Broncos won't put in another performance like last nights.
LOLOLOL.

I hope so.

Unread

Active Now

• Galah
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Wolfie
  • BroncosAlways
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Browny
  • Bucking Beads
  • teampjta
  • Aldo
  • Scorchie
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Bronx48
  • lynx000
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Financeguy
  • Tmac
  • Strop
  • RodF
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Culhwch
... and 40 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.