Storm Vs. Broncos Build Up Thread *Spoiler*

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Things will be different next week. Lockyer will be back. His absence seriously ***** with the team's head and they treat it as an excuse for losing rather than a motivation for winning.

That's what you get when a club's entire focus is on one player.

B

Bajar

BRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I reckon we'll see a much improved side next week. I think it is arse that we always get the bye the week before origin, and not after.

T

TLCC

BRL Player
Mar 12, 2008
Really disappointing but expected loss. Unfortunately the wins we have had seemed to hide the fact that our attitude and defence, which go together, have been crap. Watching the games you can see how much they rely on Locky. Wallace is average without him, as proved with SOO as well. He may have a poor game or make mistakes, but the one thing with Locky is that he always competes and never gives up on a chase or a loose ball. Sadly most of the team don't have that sort of heart which is worrying for our future. I still think we would have lost, but we would have at least competed. Most of their tries were soft from dummy half, which had the attitude have been there should have been saved. Thank god Slater, Inglis and Smith were rested or the score would have been even more embarrassing!

On the Clinton thing, I am pretty disappointed in the club that after all the bad publicity the game has had this year they are not being more transparent with their fans and the public. If it was just a missed session they need to come out and say that so everyone can move on. If its more than that it also needs to be dealt with swiftly rather than trying to cover it up IMO!

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
subsbligh said:
OXY-351 said:
I know everyone in the team played ordinary, but I'm ABSOLUTELY sick of Steve Michaels rarely, if ever, passing to his winger. There was a couple of times I thought Michaels coudl have passed it on, and the winger would have had some space down the sideline, but instead, he almost always seems to hold on to it.

I guess this was made more obvious to me by how Greg Inlgis played. Yes, the broncos were ordinary in defence, but Inlgis seems to have a lot better idea on how to position his winger. Tomane ended up scoring 3 tries thanks to Inlgis. If he was playing outside Michaels, he'd be lucky to get 3 for the year.

It's time for the ranga to be dropped. I can't beleive people are talking abot him as a possible origin replacement for hodges.

Your missing the point. I think Michaels has a great running game but he hits the ball very flat and gives himself and his winger no time or room to move, which limits his options. It's not that he doesn't want to pass, he just doesn't have the option a lot of the time because he's too flat.

How am I missing the point? It doesn't matter what the reasoning behind it is, or whether he does or doesn't want to pass, the fact is Michaels rarely passes to his winger at times when he probably should and I think it's costing the team oppurtinities each game.

He needs to change the way he plays to allow himself to set up his winger, or not play first grade centre. Although I suspect Michaels couldn't even pass oranges around, the position he should be aspiring to.

S

Sabu_2008

QCup Player
Mar 16, 2008
Why are you guys scared of the dogs?? If you were in a hotel room with them then yeah be scared but you won't be so harden up the Broncos won't put in another performance like last nights.

Epic fail.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
I was at this game. How fricken disappointing.

Melbourne Storm supporters sure are weird mad-hatters!

I really enjoyed the experience though, we got great seats and we just walked up 10 minutes before kick off. $20 a ticket too. Was a nice walk to the game from the city, worth the experience. If only the fricken Broncos had of turned up too.

Oh and we were heckling Lockyer who was sitting right in front of us. What a sook.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
I just read through the posts, you guys that are bagging the crap out of the team, you start to do that when you are at the bottom of the table, we are still tied for 1st after 13 Rounds, our team IS Trying and IS Winning, one game they didn't turn up for and you're all calling them lazy etc etc etc. ONE GAME!

GET A FRICKEN LIFE. The Roosters fans are the only ones that have the right to claim that about their team atm.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
mrslong said:
I just read through the posts, you guys that are bagging the crap out of the team, you start to do that when you are at the bottom of the table, we are still tied for 1st after 13 Rounds, our team IS Trying and IS Winning, one game they didn't turn up for and you're all calling them lazy etc etc etc. ONE GAME!

GET A FRICKEN LIFE. The Roosters fans are the only ones that have the right to claim that about their team atm.

I tend to agree with Mrs Long. Although, I can't help but detect a trend starting to occur with our performances. It should be the case that if you have a couple of the stars out, that the rest of the players lift and pull out a big game to compensate. What actually happened is that they packed their suitcases, folded their tents and bailed. That performance was unBronco like and not what we have grown to expect from our team. Hence, I can also understand the disappointment from the others that have posted. You could sense it was going to happen. I said at the start of the game to guests we had staying from Newcastle, I think we are going to get flogged tonight.

schmix

schmix

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
mrslong said:

You have to read it in context though. Most of this thread was posted on the night of the game - people were still riled up and angry. I'm sure most would be more measured in their comments today.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
True, but I was actually at the game and still didn't get too angry at the result as I knew we were still in a pretty good position, it was a freezing cold night, Clinton had just been pulled off because of disciplinary reasons and we were without Hodges and Lockyer, and also coming down off an Origin win. I could tell we lifted in the 2nd half, the boys finally tried to put some shots on and put in, Wallace lifted a bit etc. Just think people over reacted, even if it was in the heat of the moment & disappointed, we shouldn't be turning on our team just yet when they are tied at the top of the table. We are not bulldogs supporters here.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Who's turning on them?

They were useless and played with no heart on the weekend.

E

Emma

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
To be fair mrslong, as someone already mentioned, not playing with heart and not putting in is becoming a bit of a habit with the team at the moment. I wouldn't say it's been one game, it's just that it's only been one game where the opposition really turned up and put them to the sword. Yes, they're still winning, but geez they've been lucky that they hadn't really played any top quality, in form opposition until now. If they had, there'd be no way they'd be sitting on top of the table.

B

broncosil

QCup Player
Mar 31, 2008
It hasn't been one game, but a rather consistent pattern that has been emerging in the last 6 weeks or so. The difference being is that they were not allowed to get away with it this time. There have been actually a few games where they have been lucky to win (Roosters, Tigers).

Souths got totally thrashed by the Cowboys, but at least they turned up and tried. They were just completely outdone by a better outfit. Broncos didn't try for a minute, and this isn't the first time that the Broncos have pulled this kind of shit at origin time.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Emma said:
To be fair mrslong, as someone already mentioned, not playing with heart and not putting in is becoming a bit of a habit with the team at the moment. I wouldn't say it's been one game, it's just that it's only been one game where the opposition really turned up and put them to the sword. Yes, they're still winning, but geez they've been lucky that they hadn't really played any top quality, in form opposition until now. If they had, there'd be no way they'd be sitting on top of the table.

Sums it up.

There was no passion there on Friday and there hasn't really been for a few weeks. If it continues it's going to be somewhat of a concern.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Yes they didn't try, but hopefully this is the kick in the pants they need. I just got a little upset when people were howling the house down and we're still tied at the top of the table.

2005 late season decline was our rock bottom, we haven't hit that low yet. Hopefully.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
The top of the table is nothing. Have you seen to points on the table?

18 - Brisbane
--------

Being on the top is nothing crash hot right now considering just how close it really is. I few more heartless performances like that and we could very well see ourselves at the ass end of the 8, and slowly heading out of the 8 completely.

E

Emma

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Surely the last however many games when they haven't really put in should have been the kick in the pants they needed though mrslong? Capitulating against the roosters, very nearly being beaten by a Tigers side minus Farah, losing to Newcastle the way they did, the list goes on....there have been more than enough games so far this year that should have been a kick in the pants. It shouldn't take an absolute flogging to make them pull their fingers out.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Mmmm, it was one of the worst performances I've seen from K in a long while tbh...when he was "chasing" that ball in touch that resulted in a line drop out. He was just walking. Right in front of us. Abysmal.

McGuire & Corey were the only ones trying, and how come when Wally chipped through the only bloke with-in cooee chasing was David Taylor, any one of our fast guys would've beat Billy (or was it Turner by that stage) to the ball!?

And ...yes, now....I must confess, we left the ground at 44-4, even though we always said we'd never walk out on our team....

Unread

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • winslow_wong
  • broncs30
  • Brocko
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • leon.bott
  • Battler
  • Wolfie
  • ezpz
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Galah
  • mrslong
  • Waynesaurus
  • Alec
  • Strop
  • I bleed Maroon
  • bb_gun
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Browny
... and 26 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.