Tesi Niu

Are other fullbacks still defending in the line near their red zone? How many times will teams score off grubbers for us to realise it doesn’t work if your fullback jogs on the spot to get to a loose ball?

Are other fullbacks still defending in the line near their red zone? How many times will teams score off grabbers for us to realise it doesn’t work if your fullback jogs on the spot to get to a loose ball?

Thus us where you’d hope coaches would be picking this up and working with him.

He was no worse in defence than Drinkwater, that’s for sure.

I think Drinkwater was a lot more dangerous that Tesi and his defence wasnt that bad, cant say i really saw any major errors for him that led to tries. They will be kidding themselves though if they think Drinkwater can take the role currently. He has been training in the halves and basing his game around that. He is going to have to adjust again if he plays fullback. Kind of like when we moved Milf back there. I thought he faded in the last 15 mins or so, his cardio for fullback just isnt there yet.

I still cant get over that stat you posted. How the hell can you make no tackles in a game, and still miss 4 🤷‍♂️

I think Drinkwater was a lot more dangerous that Tesi and his defence wasnt that bad, cant say i really saw any major errors for him that led to tries. They will be kidding themselves though if they think Drinkwater can take the role currently. He has been training in the halves and basing his game around that. He is going to have to adjust again if he plays fullback. Kind of like when we moved Milf back there. I thought he faded in the last 15 mins or so, his cardio for fullback just isnt there yet.

I still cant get over that stat you posted. How the hell can you make no tackles in a game, and still miss 4 🤷‍♂️
Drinkwater got caught out on kodi's try. He got caught on the blindside of the ruck and when the ball was played started running to follow the ball, opening a hole for kodi. This was the major defensive error I saw in his game, otherwise he did quite well including the capacity to catch balls on the full.

The fact that our #1 fullback had a comparable game to a player who has been playing in the halves for at least 2 years and is currently in Qcup should be an indicator of the poor position we a currently in.

Drinkwater got caught out on kodi's try. He got caught on the blindside of the ruck and when the ball was played started running to follow the ball, opening a hole for kodi. This was the major defensive error I saw in his game, otherwise he did quite well including the capacity to catch balls on the full.

The fact that our #1 fullback had a comparable game to a player who has been playing in the halves for at least 2 years and is currently in Qcup should be an indicator of the poor position we a currently in.

He was probably a little unsighted by Curran but you are right, he should have done a bit better with that one.

Meh. I see a lot of upside in Tesi, I'm definitely in the minority, but I reckon he's worth persisting with. The problem is we have so many young talented players who if they were the only inexperienced player in the backline would be allowed to grow into their role around more experienced players. Just think how Inglis and Mitchell were allowed to develop their games in experienced teams on the wing or in the centres. They're all learning and making mistakes together, which emphasises their mistakes even more.

Are other fullbacks still defending in the line near their red zone? How many times will teams score off grubbers for us to realise it doesn’t work if your fullback jogs on the spot to get to a loose ball?

Lots do it but the key is communication, if the fullback makes the tackles he goes to A but then communicates once the ball has gone that he's gone and he follows it behind the defence line- he always should go where the ball goes.

If you just go back to A and stand there well you're terrible at defence, fullback, tracking and working.

Meh. I see a lot of upside in Tesi, I'm definitely in the minority, but I reckon he's worth persisting with. The problem is we have so many young talented players who if they were the only inexperienced player in the backline would be allowed to grow into their role around more experienced players. Just think how Inglis and Mitchell were allowed to develop their games in experienced teams on the wing or in the centres. They're all learning and making mistakes together, which emphasises their mistakes even more.

Probably the big difference is Inglis played Qcup for a couple of years and killed it there. We are throwing kids into the team who arent even playing that great at that level.

Probably the big difference is Inglis played Qcup for a couple of years and killed it there. We are throwing kids into the team who arent even playing that great at that level.
Yep. Unfortunately when you're a struggling team you can't develop the players the 'traditional' way anymore or they'll be off to the next club who offer them a contract. Circa Walsh.

Download

I don't want to completely write off Tesi - I think with the ball in hand, he's quite a handy player. He's very lively and has some excellent footwork.

The stats UB posted earlier show that he's more than capable when we're in possession.

It's his off-the-ball play that really needs a lot of work put into it. He seems to possess no game smarts whatsoever. Yes, lack of experience plays a part, but when you've reached this level of footy, you're expected to be able to do the basics. I only ever played in the forwards when I was growing up (despite my pining to be a half or a centre haha), but I still had an understanding of each role in the team and the requirements of every position. You don't necessarily get taught that, it's just innate from playing and watching the game, taking an interest, etc. Do players coming through these days not learn like that?

Tesi is far too much of a liability at fullback at the moment. If he needs to learn to play the position, he needs to do it in Queensland Cup. I wouldn't mind seeing him continuing in the team at centre, with Herbie going to fullback. As I said, he's a good runner of the ball and quick on his feet, with a knack for breaking tackles, so I think he'd fill the centre role quite nicely.

It's his off-the-ball play that really needs a lot of work put into it. He seems to possess no game smarts whatsoever. Yes, lack of experience plays a part, but when you've reached this level of footy, you're expected to be able to do the basics. I only ever played in the forwards when I was growing up (despite my pining to be a half or a centre haha), but I still had an understanding of each role in the team and the requirements of every position. You don't necessarily get taught that, it's just innate from playing and watching the game, taking an interest, etc. Do players coming through these days not learn like that?

Exactly...its staggering to try and understand.
How do you get to this level and not know the very fucken basics of not only your position, but the rest of the team as well.....
Its not fucken brain surgery....?

Might be very controversial for a few people but I thought he had a blinder. He was 2nd best behind Staggs and I would keep him there the rest of the year if he can improve on that.

I wouldn't have him that high because he definitely had some brain fades but I agree, he was good.

Problem is, its the other things he did that contributed to us losing the game thats the issue. Plus his fear of competing and catching bombs. As i said earlier, you cant carry a fullback who is so timid and fearful when it comes to catching bombs.

I agree .
I thought he improved his catching and was blocked off one bomb .Getting in front of the ball carrier when supporting a break is bad play . If he can turn all those tackle breaks he makes into some thing more he will be an asset . His goal line D def needs work though .

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Gaz
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • sooticus
  • Cavalo
  • Shane Tronc
  • jd87
  • Brotherdu
  • Culhwch
  • Fitzy
  • Jazza
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.