Tesi Niu

I can't remember who it was, but I'm sure quite a few years back I read a quote from one of our young up and coming players saying they never really watched league, and preferred to watch the NBA and NFL. I think there's a real chance some of these kids just aren't actually absorbing the game in the same way anymore - particularly the athletic specimens we've been targeting lately.

I remember Khunt said this back in the day - I think NBA was his preference.

It doesn't bother me if they don't, as long as they put in the effort to learn the game and don't bottle it out on the field. With Khunt, you always knew he'd challenge for every bomb, he'd put his body on the line in attack and defence, etc.

Unfortunately can't say the same about Tesi at the moment.

KHunt was elite though, even as a 17yo. Not just his commitment but his ball playing ability...he was something special. He was keeping Slater out of the rep teams too, though Billy added plenty to his game over the years.

I can't remember who it was, but I'm sure quite a few years back I read a quote from one of our young up and coming players saying they never really watched league, and preferred to watch the NBA and NFL. I think there's a real chance some of these kids just aren't actually absorbing the game in the same way anymore - particularly the athletic specimens we've been targeting lately.
It was Milf.

No doubt Tesi is a great athlete, probably even a decent guy but he is not a football player, atleast not a fullback. I've said this for many years, the broncos are full of top class athletes but barely a decent football player amongst them. We have managed to rectify that slightly.

Surely....... amongst all the players we have access to, be it the 30 man squad, Q cup or park footy if it comes to that, there is someone who can position themselves appropriately in defense, can pass a ball for the out the back play and can catch a fucking bomb. That would be an improvement on what we have now. It's not like Tesi is tearing teams apart in attack to offset his appalling efforts in defense so i don't think an attacking "weapon" is necessary at this point. We must have a Shane Perry of fullbacks somewhere!!

No doubt Tesi is a great athlete, probably even a decent guy but he is not a football player, atleast not a fullback. I've said this for many years, the broncos are full of top class athletes but barely a decent football player amongst them. We have managed to rectify that slightly.

Surely....... amongst all the players we have access to, be it the 30 man squad, Q cup or park footy if it comes to that, there is someone who can position themselves appropriately in defense, can pass a ball for the out the back play and can catch a fucking bomb. That would be an improvement on what we have now. It's not like Tesi is tearing teams apart in attack to offset his appalling efforts in defense so i don't think an attacking "weapon" is necessary at this point. We must have a Shane Perry of fullbacks somewhere!!!
We had that style of defensive fullback years ago in Josh Hoffman. Had we stuck with him then, he may of developed a reasonable passing game the same way Minichiello did at some stage. We still had Blair or Mcguire at that time who could of made up for the lack of a passing game with McCullough as an extra kicker if needed until then. (Lack of creativity in the bottom teams will keep them there) But the top teams then had ball playing attacking fullbacks who were good defensively. That's what we wanted. We still want to see that while watching Niu or Issako, but wishing we had Tedesco or Ponga (or Walsh, who the club let leave while also thinking Sam Walker was a fullback...but anyway)

I think we have to persist with Niu for the rest of season though. There are signs of Boyd's tutoring slowly starting to show in Niu's game, but it is a work in progress. If Niu hasn't progressed by seasons end, go hard for an established fullback like Walsh, Ponga, or Manu, instead of rolling the dice with another experiment.

The players we really need though are a few Nicho Hines style utilities, but that's another topic entirely.

We had that style of defensive fullback years ago in Josh Hoffman. Had we stuck with him then, he may of developed a reasonable passing game the same way Minichiello did at some stage. We still had Blair or Mcguire at that time who could of made up for the lack of a passing game with McCullough as an extra kicker if needed until then. (Lack of creativity in the bottom teams will keep them there) But the top teams then had ball playing attacking fullbacks who were good defensively. That's what we wanted. We still want to see that while watching Niu or Issako, but wishing we had Tedesco or Ponga (or Walsh, who the club let leave while also thinking Sam Walker was a fullback...but anyway)

I think we have to persist with Niu for the rest of season though. There are signs of Boyd's tutoring slowly starting to show in Niu's game, but it is a work in progress. If Niu hasn't progressed by seasons end, go hard for an established fullback like Walsh, Ponga, or Manu, instead of rolling the dice with another experiment.

The players we really need though are a few Nicho Hines style utilities, but that's another topic entirely.
I’m missing something here. When did Manu become “an established fullback”? Indeed I’d hardly classify Walsh as established either.

I’m missing something here. When did Manu become “an established fullback”? Indeed I’d hardly classify Walsh as established either.
I'll give you that. Manu isn't technically established, but he has shown he is capable. Walsh I could see improving and benefitting from working alongside Darius Boyd.

But I think Niu can work it out. There are a lot of similarities between Papenhuysen and Slater as well that get glossed over. And I can see some feint signs of the way Boyd played emerging in Niu's game already. (Even if Niu does remind me more of Ikin)

It's easy to forget, but Nathan Cleary wasn't exactly an overnight sensation either. James Maloney was there to teach him the ropes and copped a lot of flack in the process. (It took about 3 years if I remember right.) But Cleary is now a premiership winner and the NSW halfback.

It will take time to develop kids. It just depends on what the club realistically thinks its premiership window is. Is it win now, or take the time and develop players for a later date?

Trade Niu for Dufty?
Both are in poor form and are at the outer in their respective clubs. Both players are poor defensively but Dufty has speed and better at attacking. Broncos also benefit by getting rid of Niu's 2 year contract with Dufty's expiring contract ending this season. Dogs benefit by saving salary if Niu is on a cheaper contract and they may view him as having more upside potential.

Trade Niu for Dufty?
Both are in poor form and are at the outer in their respective clubs. Both players are poor defensively but Dufty has speed and better at attacking. Broncos also benefit by getting rid of Niu's 2 year contract with Dufty's expiring contract ending this season. Dogs benefit by saving salary if Niu is on a cheaper contract and they may view him as having more upside potential.
yuck , Dufty is a tool and is 26.
Niu is 20 and people are already ready to ship him out ala tom Dearden, whom has proven you need patience with young spine players. the kid needs time to develop and he probably shouldn't be in this position atm, but he was never going to learn much off isaako.

Trade Niu for Dufty?
There has always been some stench following Dufty. I've never really known what it was, but at the weekend there were several occasions where he could have dived on the ball to secure it for his team but he chose not to. He might be playing injured (who knows) but it was a dreadful look and when your team is struggling it's such a morale killer. So I'd say pass on Dufty.

When Tedesco went
To the rooster I remember reading something along the lines of how he was not in the same class as Billy but couple years working with Cronk got him there let’s hope nui can get there working with Adam for attack and Boyd for defence

When Tedesco went
To the rooster I remember reading something along the lines of how he was not in the same class as Billy but couple years working with Cronk got him there let’s hope nui can get there working with Adam for attack and Boyd for defence
Yeah but Tedesco was at the tigers was kind of like Cobbo at his best. He was a brilliant runner and defensive fullback. It was his ball playing that lacked and his ability to work in a solid structure.

Teddy was one of the most hyped juniors coming through and it was always just considered a matter of time for him to be a super star. Injuries just kept delaying his start.

I’m not sure I can recall a player who was so universally agreed would be top tier. Maybe Haas?

Yeah but Tedesco was at the tigers was kind of like Cobbo at his best. He was a brilliant runner and defensive fullback. It was his ball playing that lacked and his ability to work in a solid structure.

Teddy was one of the most hyped juniors coming through and it was always just considered a matter of time for him to be a super star. Injuries just kept delaying his start.

I’m not sure I can recall a player who was so universally agreed would be top tier. Maybe Haas?

Inglis was i remember. There have probably been big wraps on plenty of players, i've just forgotten them!

You do seem to find plenty of good players go on to become all time greats like JT, Smith, Cronk, Slater etc down to hard work.

KHunt was elite though, even as a 17yo. Not just his commitment but his ball playing ability...he was something special. He was keeping Slater out of the rep teams too, though Billy added plenty to his game over the years.
This.

People comparing him to Hunt and saying it’s about attitude are not considering the likelihood that Niu just isn’t actually as good a player as Hunt was, which isn’t a shameful thing as Hunt was amongst the best of his time and as you said, kept Slater who might be the best ever, out of teams at various times.

Unread

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.