Tesi Niu

I get that Tesi is young and is still a rookie, but like many of you, I still don't quite see what the club sees in him. From all his time in first grade so far, and after watching whatever other footage is out there of him playing, I have seen nothing to suggest he will be a future star.

I don't think he has anything in his game that will make him become a great player. He doesn't seem to have a lot of speed, he doesn't have elite footwork, he isn't very physically strong or tall, and he isn't a particularly strong ballplayer. Everything about his game is pretty average, and unfortunately, I don't think he will be anything more than just an average player.

In saying that, that's not necessarily a bad thing. If he can tidy up his game and fix some of the more obvious holes in his game, and learn to perform at a consistently good level, he could be a serviceable member of the squad. Though, I am just not sure if it is worth the time and effort to persist with him long term if his ceiling doesn't seem that high.

I get that Tesi is young and is still a rookie, but like many of you, I still don't quite see what the club sees in him. From all his time in first grade so far, and after watching whatever other footage is out there of him playing, I have seen nothing to suggest he will be a future star.

I don't think he has anything in his game that will make him become a great player. He doesn't seem to have a lot of speed, he doesn't have elite footwork, he isn't very physically strong or tall, and he isn't a particularly strong ballplayer. Everything about his game is pretty average, and unfortunately, I don't think he will be anything more than just an average player.

In saying that, that's not necessarily a bad thing. If he can tidy up his game and fix some of the more obvious holes in his game, and learn to perform at a consistently good level, he could be a serviceable member of the squad. Though, I am just not sure if it is worth the time and effort to persist with him long term if his ceiling doesn't seem that high.

I think he has some good footwork and at times has shown a bit of touch close to the try line but really what we need to see him do is consistently catch the ball at the back.

Attack wise he pretty much has everything you said he doesn’t but doesn’t do it consistently. His issue is not attack, it’s defense and it’s a huge issue.

I think individually he is sort of ok, but he looks really clunky when chiming into the backline and the play often shuts down when he gets the ball.

Attack wise he pretty much has everything you said he doesn’t but doesn’t do it consistently. His issue is not attack, it’s defense and it’s a huge issue.
He is not elite in any of the areas I mentioned in attack though. He is pretty middle of the road in every one of those things. You can't tell me has game breaking speed, footwork, strength or ball playing ability. He is average in every one of those things, and unfortunately some of those things such as his height, speed, and even potentially his footwork are physical limitations that can't greatly be improved through coaching.

For someone thats strength is supposedly attack, he doesn't offer too much there. That's what I am worried about long term. We will be investing time and effort into him, when potentially his ceiling isn't really quite that high compared to other fullbacks in the game.

I am not prepared to throw him in the scrap pile yet though, because he does plenty of little things right already, and I believe he has the potential to fix some of his defensive issues. However, maybe those issues should be worked on predominantly in ISC.

He is not elite in any of the areas I mentioned in attack though. He is pretty middle of the road in every one of those things. You can't tell me has game breaking speed, footwork, strength or ball playing ability. He is average in every one of those things, and unfortunately some of those things such as his height, speed, and even potentially his footwork are physical limitations that can't greatly be improved through coaching.

For someone thats strength is supposedly attack, he doesn't offer too much there. That's what I am worried about long term. We will be investing time and effort into him, when potentially his ceiling isn't really quite that high compared to other fullbacks in the game.

I am not prepared to throw him in the scrap pile yet though, because he does plenty of little things right already, and I believe he has the potential to fix some of his defensive issues. However, maybe those issues should be worked on predominantly in ISC.

You are right, he isn't elite in any of those categories but he is also still a kid which many people often forget, he has time on his side. That said, and I want to make clear here, he has some MAJOR deficiencies and especially so defensively, so I am not sure he will make it either. I just like a lot of things I see that could become great if he works really hard at them. He is also just as likely to go the way of Isaako and never actually push on, I don't know yet but I am willing to give him time. In terms of footwork and strength, he is already pretty good in those areas. He has a really nice in and away and he bounces out of tackles like a pinball. He also has a really nice pass on him that he doesn't use well all the time yet. I just think credit where it is due, he has some nice tools to build on but also some gaping holes that if he doesn't fix, will mean he won't make it. Time will tell which one wins out.

I think he has some good footwork and at times has shown a bit of touch close to the try line but really what we need to see him do is consistently catch the ball at the back.
I agree that his defence should be the focus, but I am still not convinced with his attack. Like I've mentioned earlier though, even if he is average in attack, it may not necessarily be a bad thing In certain situations if he can learn to be consistently good across both sides of the ball. I'd rather a fullback that is reliably dependable in defence and attack, compared to a fullback who has moments of brilliance in attack, but is a complete liability in defence.

I was in Canberra when Tesi scored that great individual try. it was real off the cuff stuff and looked great up close. I'd say there is some real class buried in there somewhere. I'm willing to stick with him and see how he matures.

He has a ton of faults of course and some of them seriously hamper the team. He's still incredibly hesitant under the high ball, but the fact he has 'owned' that weakness and vowed to work on getting it right is enough for me to stick with him for the meantime.

You are right, he isn't elite in any of those categories but he is also still a kid which many people often forget, he has time on his side. That said, and I want to make clear here, he has some MAJOR deficiencies and especially so defensively, so I am not sure he will make it either. I just like a lot of things I see that could become great if he works really hard at them. He is also just as likely to go the way of Isaako and never actually push on, I don't know yet but I am willing to give him time. In terms of footwork and strength, he is already pretty good in those areas. He has a really nice in and away and he bounces out of tackles like a pinball. He also has a really nice pass on him that he doesn't use well all the time yet. I just think credit where it is due, he has some nice tools to build on but also some gaping holes that if he doesn't fix, will mean he won't make it. Time will tell which one wins out.
I agree that he does have some tools to build a solid game around. It may never be elite, but that's ok. I just want to make it clear that I don't want to get rid of him, like many of the other posters here are calling for.

But if we are going to develop him as our first choice fullback, I just think it would be beneficial to have him work on his game away from first grade. But while he develops those areas of his game, do you think it would be worthwhile bringing in another fullback from another club?

Our depth at fullback currently is another thing that worries me. If Tesi goes down, we really don't have anyone capable of filling that position.

If you are at the stage of releasing deeply personal information via an interview to get the critics off your back, you're probably needing to start questioning your next career move.

I am guessing we are stuck with the little shithead because he is cheaper than isaako...cheaper, not better.

Maybe a bit better......seems to have at least one less monumental fuckup in him than Idroppo had.

Early days yet though I suppose.....

Just to follow up my previous post, who are some of the fullbacks we could look to bring in as cover for Tesi? Can anyone think of any fullbacks that are not first choice at their clubs or are not getting a run? I can only think of Corey Allan, Scott Drinkwater (currently filling in for Tabuai-Fidow), Adam Doueihi (not sure what his injury situations is at the moment), Blake Taaffe (he is still a rookie too, and he is currently filling in for Latrell), Tex Hoy (also not too experienced, but occasionally fills in for Ponga). Am I missing anyone who we could look to bring in?

My first choice would probably be Allan. He too isn't elite in any particular area, but he is a little further in his development than Niu. From memory he is a little bit safer defensively, and when he got his shot at Souths, he was doing some good things in attack too. Plus he has an existing combination with Reynolds that could be useful.

Just to follow up my previous post, who are some of the fullbacks we could look to bring in as cover for Tesi? Can anyone think of any fullbacks that are not first choice at their clubs or are not getting a run? I can only think of Corey Allan, Scott Drinkwater (currently filling in for Tabuai-Fidow), Adam Doueihi (not sure what his injury situations is at the moment), Blake Taaffe (he is still a rookie too, and he is currently filling in for Latrell), Tex Hoy (also not too experienced, but occasionally fills in for Ponga). Am I missing anyone who we could look to bring in?

My first choice would probably be Allan. He too isn't elite in any particular area, but he is a little further in his development than Niu. From memory he is a little bit safer defensively, and when he got his shot at Souths, he was doing some good things in attack too. Plus he has an existing combination with Reynolds that could be useful.

I agree totally with this. Allan would be a great get because he will be heavily subsidised and if we could get him right, he’s a potential rival to Tesi.

I agree totally with this. Allan would be a great get because he will be heavily subsidised and if we could get him right, he’s a potential rival to Tesi.
He is a bit of the forgotten man right now at the Dogs, and if we can somehow negotiate an immediate release I think it would benefit everyone involved.

Allan somewhat reminds me of Boyd. If Boyd is currently helping with the outside backs, I think Allan could really learn a lot from him and develop into a pretty good fullback. I particularly liked his work on the end of the backline set plays at Souths. He seemed to know exactly when to pass, run, kick or just take the tackle. I think he could add a lot to this team, even if it's only until Tesi develops a bit more.

Haha but how do we go about getting this done?

Allan is talented and on his game i think hes a better fullback than any of ours, but he is lazy and switches off in defence. His contract is up at the end of 2023 so he could possibly worth the risk if we could take over his contract with the doggies subsidising his contract.

Allan is talented and on his game i think hes a better fullback than any of ours, but he is lazy and switches off in defence. His contract is up at the end of 2023 so he could possibly worth the risk if we could take over his contract with the doggies subsidising his contract.

I'd call the Dogs and say look, we will take on 200k of his contract for the next two years, take it or leave it. If they say nah we want more, you walk away.

Active Now

• BroncosMan
  • Sproj
  • bert_lifts
  • Strop
  • lynx000
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Evander
  • Culhwch
  • achievedrap
  • kman
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Mustafur
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  • Big Del
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Fatboy
  • Broncorob
  • Allo
  • Skyblues87
  • FACTHUNT
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.