The Dolphins discussion

There was 23000 at Suncorp last night so I think they made the right decision
The right decision for who....? For the player's welfare.....?

Somebody is going to do a serious injury on that cow paddock soon......

There was 23000 at Suncorp last night so I think they made the right decision

which probably meant that the Dolphins didn't break even. so, even though Kayo holds only half of that 23k, they would have made far more profit by playing it there.

which probably meant that the Dolphins didn't break even. so, even though Kayo holds only half of that 23k, they would have made far more profit by playing it there.
Do you have anything to back that up? Sounds like wishful thinking tbh

The right decision for who....? For the player's welfare.....?

Somebody is going to do a serious injury on that cow paddock soon......
The draw is done well before the state of the surface was known though. I'm not a turf expert but it sounds like the concert had more to do with it than the Dolphins playing some games there?

Do you have anything to back that up? Sounds like wishful thinking tbh

admittedly i'm basing this off a news report from years ago saying the that because of the cost of rental for Lang Park, teams needed crowds of 25k to break even (maybe they averaged that over the season and the QLD government could have lowered the cost (or given the Phins a special deal)

but in any event, i'm pretty sure the Phins actually own Kayo stadium so there would be no rental cost

Syncope’s turf is a massive concern, can’t believe it isn’t being addressed.

The draw is done well before the state of the surface was known though. I'm not a turf expert but it sounds like the concert had more to do with it than the Dolphins playing some games there?
You're probably right but.......there's seems to be a lot of football getting played on a ground that simply isn't holding up to the amount of traffic.

admittedly i'm basing this off a news report from years ago saying the that because of the cost of rental for Lang Park, teams needed crowds of 25k to break even (maybe they averaged that over the season and the QLD government could have lowered the cost (or given the Phins a special deal)

but in any event, i'm pretty sure the Phins actually own Kayo stadium so there would be no rental cost
That figure is pretty right from memory, but like your news report, my recollection of it is from a few years back.

The Thursday night game i mentioned previously we only got 22k for ourselves. Thursdays are just not a great night for footy.

It’s too much foot traffic regardless of the concert or not. The dolphins shouldn’t be playing so many games there, it’s not their home stadium and player welfare should have taken precedence.

that’s what the nrl is all about right? Or is that only when they’re concerned about a concussion class action lawsuit lol.

The Thursday night game i mentioned previously we only got 22k for ourselves. Thursdays are just not a great night for footy.
Thursday is a joke and only for tv views, it’s horrible for kids and making money for the club.
Friday should be a 630pm game then a 8.30 game three games sat, three games Sunday.

I’m side tracking here.

It’s too much foot traffic regardless of the concert or not. The dolphins shouldn’t be playing so many games there, it’s not their home stadium and player welfare should have taken precedence.

that’s what the nrl is all about right? Or is that only when they’re concerned about a concussion class action lawsuit lol.

Problem is, anyone can use that stadium ( or any of their venues ) who wants to use it as long as they stump up the funds. Probably not that simple in reality, but basically they pretty much own every decent size venue in the state. Its just a leased out venue at the end of the day. Makes you wonder how much they are bothered about the playing surface.

Sometimes, i kind of wish we just had our own purpose built stadium. Maybe get Todd Bohley to buy us and build one, he seems to have no dramas throwing hundreds of millions of dollars around.

Plus they would get all profits from food and drink sold there. I’m guessing lang park owners take the lions share of that money.

Even though I think 23k would be profitable it may not be the only consideration. Lots of hype about the dolphins in their first year, so giving more fans a chance to see them might pay off in the long run.

Problem is, anyone can use that stadium ( or any of their venues ) who wants to use it as long as they stump up the funds. Probably not that simple in reality, but basically they pretty much own every decent size venue in the state. Its just a leased out venue at the end of the day. Makes you wonder how much they are bothered about the playing surface.

Sometimes, i kind of wish we just had our own purpose built stadium. Maybe get Todd Bohley to buy us and build one, he seems to have no dramas throwing hundreds of millions of dollars around.
The only way Broncos could ever own a stadium is if it's Lang Park, we would need atleast a 35k seater for it to be worth it since we easily make decent profit playing there at the moment even including the huge rent of around 3 million going by the annual financials(it's about 50% going to us after rent atm).

To build your own stadium in this economy with massively inflated building costs would cost more then it would to buy Lang Park as it is, that's the problem.

I doubt the Government would sell a profitable stadium as well, I think given how much extra revenue we have over what we need to run the squad we can afford the several hundred million dollar loan required to buy it, but we would also require the same amount of tenant's there currently to pay it off.

I think as long as NRL keeps going in the same direction with TV revenue growth we will get to that point at some stage, but we would likely need a rich owner that isn't Newscorp to do it in the next 20 years or so, unless the QLD government somehow approves of it.

The only way Broncos could ever own a stadium is if it's Lang Park, we would need atleast a 35k seater for it to be worth it since we easily make decent profit playing there at the moment even including the huge rent of around 3 million going by the annual financials(it's about 50% going to us after rent atm).

To build your own stadium in this economy with massively inflated building costs would cost more then it would to buy Lang Park as it is, that's the problem.

I doubt the Government would sell a profitable stadium as well, I think given how much extra revenue we have over what we need to run the squad we can afford the several hundred million dollar loan required to buy it, but we would also require the same amount of tenant's there currently to pay it off.

I think as long as NRL keeps going in the same direction with TV revenue growth we will get to that point at some stage, but we would likely need a rich owner that isn't Newscorp to do it in the next 20 years or so, unless the QLD government somehow approves of it.
Brisbane won the 2032 olympics right? At this point EVERY SINGLE STADIUM in brissy should be looking at an upgrade to accomodatte ALOT more people. I’m thinking 70k at Suncorp alone.

Brisbane won the 2032 olympics right? At this point EVERY SINGLE STADIUM in brissy should be looking at an upgrade to accomodatte ALOT more people. I’m thinking 70k at Suncorp alone.
They doing the whole sustainable Olympics thing now though, so we don't end up with white elephants like homebush etc.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • IceWorks
  • lynx000
  • Organix
  • Bish
  • Mustafur
  • Broncorob
  • Dash
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Justwin
  • Cavalo
  • Jazza
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  • Brocko
  • Harry Sack
  • Battler
  • Santa
  • Rookie Alan
  • Xzei
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.