The Mysterious Contract of Boyd (Continue the discussion here please, not the Kevvie Thread)

For reference @rogerwilco is one of the only people on here who actually has a track record of having good inside information. Doesn't post as often as some of the other 'scoopers', but is certainly in the know to some degree. (I think roger said Fifita would re-sign back in 2019, but I don't think anyone saw that fiasco coming)
Also said TPJ is nothing like Hayne, that we had signings in 2018 for the 2019 season to announce all at the same time, that Nikorima could take us to a GF win, we would keep Ese’ese, said Jayden Nikorima was staying, said Ofa reminded him of Petero and Webcke and made an unconfirmed comment about @1910 being a commentator when I’ve heard otherwise. The only stuff he’s got right are clubs will chase Taylor, Parcell will leave, Barba will play fullback and shit like that.. Seems like he possibly had a source during the Griffin days (also said he could win us a premiership) but who else is left at the club since then? Other than that it’s classic Moley impersonation

Also said TPJ is nothing like Hayne, that we had signings in 2018 for the 2019 season to announce all at the same time, that Nikorima could take us to a GF win, we would keep Ese’ese, said Jayden Nikorima was staying, said Ofa reminded him of Petero and Webcke and made an unconfirmed comment about @1910 being a commentator when I’ve heard otherwise. The only stuff he’s got right are clubs will chase Taylor, Parcell will leave, Barba will play fullback and shit like that.. Seems like he possibly had a source during the Griffin days (also said he could win us a premiership) but who else is left at the club since then? Other than that it’s classic Moley impersonation

In his defence a lot of signings and departures do change over time, at the time of him posting I have no doubt the general consensus at the club was that we'd be absolutely keeping JNik, etc.

The Ofa/TPJ/Kodi things are all just opinions, not inside info.

I would still trust his word over just a random person on the internet, put it that way.

In his defence a lot of signings and departures do change over time, at the time of him posting I have no doubt the general consensus at the club was that we'd be absolutely keeping JNik, etc.

The Ofa/TPJ/Kodi things are all just opinions, not inside info.

I would still trust his word over just a random person on the internet, put it that way.
After going through his post history I absolutely wouldn’t. His comment is definitely not more reliable than Wolfie saying he’s spoken to five players who said Bennett had nothing to do with their contract signing that everyone seemed to look past, of course.
By the way, Dearden will be staying with us in 2021. But clubs will chase him for 2022. We might lose him, we might not. But someone will definitely leave next year. Things change bro

Sure, would you take it over the word of Bennett, Boyd's manager, and Paul White?

Probably not. I haven't even read this thread nor seen anyone quotes from those guys about it, doesn't overly interest me. Was just defending old mate roger, who I've seen reveal plenty more reliable info than certain other accredited 'inside info' guys on here.

Sure, would you take it over the word of Bennett, Boyd's manager, and Paul White?

Well, Stranger, as I don't know that Dude, nor his sources, I regard him as I describe below, although I do (obviously) agree with his views.

In the multi-million $$$ corporate world of professional sport, its power brokers, like Bennett, Mimis and White tell you only what they want you to know. They treat the truth (something which, dare I say it, is unique) like something plastic and malleable, a commodity for public consumption, bending and shaping it to make it palatable to the public, and always from the perspective of their agendas, always massaging the truth to protect and ensure their public credibility. A bit like politicians really.

This is made worse for us because the "truth" is then released to the media, to journos with their own agendas who process it accordingly. How many times on here do we rant and rail again the NRL media about the "truth" they publish? And on top of that, we all know for a fact that Bennett only tells the media what he wants them (and therefore us) to hear.

All of which opens the doors to speculation for born sceptics like myself, who have issues with what power does to people, who look closely at the circumstances around which, in the case of Boyd, his contract was formed: his age, his health and durability, his form, his peculiar and unique (that word again) relationship with Bennett, Bennett's profound influence over the Broncos, that Bennett and Boyd have the same agent, that Bennett and White and Lockyer were then close, and so, I draw my own conclusions, and for the purposes of a good debate, post them.

All of which goes to prove the point of my initial post which started this thread ball rolling, by the debate it has generated, that a core issue for all Broncos supporters is the incredible power Bennett wielded and still wields at the Broncos (and BHQ), how that can manifest, its consequences, as Seibold discovered, and ultimately, the challenges it presents for Kevvie, who as our new coach, has to forge his own identity in Wayne's shadow, a daunting task at best.

Last edited:
So what would sway your decision? Video evidence? What would sway mine? Any evidence at all, for which there is none.

That was definitely the most convoluted wall of text I’ve seen written on here for a long time. How many words does one actually need to say they’re a free thinker and anyone who disagrees isn’t? Have you always written like that on this forum? I’ve just noticed your writing style recently. The last 2 paragraphs could have been turned into numerous sentences instead of two very long, comma filled messes.

There’s a lot to be said about the studies of applied cognition in regards to how people see others who attempt to write that way, as opposed to using simple writing styles. Your loquaciousness is laborious to decipher.

Last edited:
Well, Stranger, as I don't know that Dude, nor his sources, I regard him as I describe below, although I do (obviously) agree with his views.

Snipped what for the saving of valuable screen-space.
Sure, nothing wrong with a bit of scepticism. There are a few issues with this particular instance though, if Mimis is telling absolute porkies to earn Bennett's undying gratitude he's probably backing the wrong horse here - Benny might get another contract or two but the Broncos will be around a lot longer and probably wouldn't look too kindly on being unfairly maligned in public. He stands to lose a lot more than he gains.

Moreover, White has also said he was the guy negotiating Boyd's contract. I'm not entirely sure what incentive he would have had to deliberately lie about it.

To be crystal clear, I'm not interested in absolving Bennett of any and all blame so he'll phone me up and we'll become best mates. I just don't like to see blame being heaped on a convenient scapegoat while the others behind the decision slink off. You could see that with the club, at a minimum Karl and Pies, making very public insinuations that it was all Bennett's fault and by gosh it's going to take our tubby wunderkind four years to sort out the mess Wayne left behind, all the while White, Locky and everyone else involved in our recruitment and retention keeps their job and celebrates by treating themselves to a Joffa on overs followed up by paying Kahu to play for the Cows on a boomerang deal then, well after that one bit us in the arse, releasing our only other real hooker to the Knights with a bloody money back guarantee. And amidst all that, the general consensus is "well despite multiple sources with first hand knowledge of the situation confirming White was the fella what done it, I believe the old guy fucked us because that's what I want to be true for $reasons." It's enough to make a fella cranky.

So what would sway your decision? Video evidence? What would sway mine? Any evidence at all, for which there is none.

That was definitely the most convoluted wall of text I’ve seen written on here for a long time. How many words does one actually need to say they’re a free thinker and anyone who disagrees isn’t? Have you always written like that on this forum? I’ve just noticed your writing style recently. The last 2 paragraphs could have been turned into numerous sentences instead of two very long, comma filled messes.

There’s a lot to be said about the studies of applied cognition in regards to how people see others who attempt to write that way, as opposed to using simple writing styles. Your loquaciousness is laborious to decipher.

I didn't and don't think what I wrote was convoluted, but then you did, which proves that you think what I wrote was convoluted. Ok, I get that.

As for my writing styles, I have many. Long and short, simple and complicated, poetic, academic, sometimes silly, hopefully funny at times, but always, always, from the heart, irrespective of where my head might be.

So thanks for the feedback

Sure, nothing wrong with a bit of scepticism. There are a few issues with this particular instance though, if Mimis is telling absolute porkies to earn Bennett's undying gratitude he's probably backing the wrong horse here - Benny might get another contract or two but the Broncos will be around a lot longer and probably wouldn't look too kindly on being unfairly maligned in public. He stands to lose a lot more than he gains.

Moreover, White has also said he was the guy negotiating Boyd's contract. I'm not entirely sure what incentive he would have had to deliberately lie about it.

To be crystal clear, I'm not interested in absolving Bennett of any and all blame so he'll phone me up and we'll become best mates. I just don't like to see blame being heaped on a convenient scapegoat while the others behind the decision slink off. You could see that with the club, at a minimum Karl and Pies, making very public insinuations that it was all Bennett's fault and by gosh it's going to take our tubby wunderkind four years to sort out the mess Wayne left behind, all the while White, Locky and everyone else involved in our recruitment and retention keeps their job and celebrates by treating themselves to a Joffa on overs followed up by paying Kahu to play for the Cows on a boomerang deal then, well after that one bit us in the arse, releasing our only other real hooker to the Knights with a bloody money back guarantee. And amidst all that, the general consensus is "well despite multiple sources with first hand knowledge of the situation confirming White was the fella what done it, I believe the old guy fucked us because that's what I want to be true for $reasons." It's enough to make a fella cranky.

I don't blame Bennett for anything, nor am I scapegoating him. I blame the club for agreeing to Boyd's contract. It was the club who signed on the dotted line. And I also blame the club for sacking Bennett the way they did and when they did, and for the consequences of that - Seibold and what followed, including the "Karl and Pies" show. All of it is on the club.

As for what Mimis said publicly, or other "multiple sources" well, that tells me absolutely nothing other than what happened at the negotiating table. It's less what's across the table, and more behind closed doors that interests me. Reading between the (dotted) lines. Not simply accepting things at face value.

And I don't think Mimis told any porkies. Nor did White. However, unlike you, I say that it was not, as you put it, "Bennett's undying gratitude" that's at issue, it's Boyd's, for what he scored, via Mimis's agency through Bennett's advocacy, and was that in the best interests of the club, or Boyd's?

Who knows, although from memory, a few on here have strong views about that. Yet, again, that's not my main point. My real point was to scrutinize the extent of Bennett's influence on this club, with one example being his obviously now, hotly contested role in the club's agreement to Boyd's contract.

Last edited:
I don't blame Bennett for anything, nor am I scapegoating him. I blame the club for agreeing to Boyd's contract. It was the club who signed on the dotted line. And I also blame the club for sacking Bennett the way they did and when they did, and for the consequences of that - Seibold and what followed, including the "Karl and Pies" show. All of it is on the club.

As for what Mimis said publicly, or other "multiple sources" well, that tells me absolutely nothing other than what happened at the negotiating table. It's less what's across the table, and more behind closed doors that interests me. Reading between the (dotted) lines. Not simply accepting things at face value.

And I don't think Mimis told any porkies. Nor did White. However, unlike you, I say that it was not, as you put it, "Bennett's undying gratitude" that's at issue, it's Boyd's, for what he scored, via Mimis's agency through Bennett's advocacy, and was that in the best interests of the club, or Boyd's?

Who knows, although from memory, a few on here have strong views about that. Yet, again, that's not my main point. My real point was to scrutinize the extent of Bennett's influence on this club, with one example being his obviously now, hotly contested role in the club's agreement to Boyd's contract.
I'm sorry, but if in a $50 million+ organisation with a CEO, Football Manager and a recruitment and retention committee stocked with people on the board that it still all comes down to Wayne Bennett to decide what players get signed and for how long and how much they will get paid for their services, and we're going to largely absolve the others of the blame on this one, then it really does speak volumes about what is so fundamentally wrong with this football club and it also begs the question why we bother paying the other guys mentioned above at all if the whole thing is just worked out by Wayne Bennett?

Of COURSE Wayne Bennett was the driving force behind recruiting Boyd when he came to the club and of COURSE he was probably the loudest voice in the room in advocating Boyd get re-signed in 2017. He may well have had very vocal opinions about how long that deal should be and how much he'd be prepared to outlay to make it happen.

The whole point of being a huge multi million dollar organisation with a shitload of employees and management staff who are all supposed to be contributing to the place is that someone is supposed to be looking at things objectively and at arms length from the emotion of it all and putting checks and balances in place. Darius Boyd's deal should have subject to even greater scrutiny than any other especially given it is reasonable to view Bennett's opinion with a level of partisanship. Surely the CEO or the Football Manager or one of the Board Members with all their commercial experience should have put their hand up and asked if this was definitely the best deal the Broncos could get in the best interests of the club?

If the CEO and Football Manager and the Recruitment and Retention Committee are so easily able to be steamrolled by Bennett that years down the track fans can simply wash their hands of any involvement then it honestly makes you wonder why we bother keeping these people around at all?

I'll finish it with this last point. Wayne Bennett absolutely got the call on Darius Boyd's last deal wrong. He's gotten several calls on players wrong before too. He's also gotten a SHITLOAD of calls right over a very long career. Now compare that to the deals we've achieved under Paul White and ask yourself this: How many of those deals could you hand on heart say worked out really well?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but if in a $50 million+ organisation with a CEO, Football Manager and a recruitment and retention committee stocked with people on the board that it still all comes down to Wayne Bennett to decide what players get signed and for how long and how much they will get paid for their services, and we're going to largely absolve the others of the blame on this one, then it really does speak volumes about what is so fundamentally wrong with this football club and it also begs the question why we bother paying the other guys mentioned above at all if the whole thing is just worked out by Wayne Bennett?

Of COURSE Wayne Bennett was the driving force behind recruiting Boyd when he came to the club and of COURSE he was probably the loudest voice in the room in advocating Boyd get re-signed in 2017. He may well have had very vocal opinions about how long that deal should be and how much he'd be prepared to outlay to make it happen.

The whole point of being a huge multi million dollar organisation with a shitload of employees and management staff who are all supposed to be contributing to the place is that someone is supposed to be looking at things objectively and at arms length from the emotion of it all and putting checks and balances in place. Darius Boyd's deal should have subject to even greater scrutiny than any other especially given it is reasonable to view Bennett's opinion with a level of partisanship. Surely the CEO or the Football Manager or one of the Board Members with all their commercial experience should have put their hand up and asked if this was definitely the best deal the Broncos could get in the best interests of the club?

If the CEO and Football Manager and the Recruitment and Retention Committee are so easily able to be steamrolled by Bennett that years down the track fans can simply wash their hands of any involvement then it honestly makes you wonder why we bother keeping these people around at all?

I'll finish it with this last point. Wayne Bennett absolutely got the call on Darius Boyd's last deal wrong. He's gotten several calls on players wrong before too. He's also gotten a SHITLOAD of calls right over a very long career. Now compare that to the deals we've achieved under Paul White and ask yourself this: How many of those deals could you hand on heart say worked out really well?
No one have absolved the management of their responsibility, no-one. You have been around here for long enough to know that all of us (besides one member) fucking hate the ***** and wouldn't trust them to run a lemonade stand. Some of us will not subscribe to the idea that Bennett had no involvement and that is all we are saying.

Last edited:

About your post, the bit I bolded above, that "whole thing", his contract, for mine was worked out much less by Bennett and more by Boyd, probably his wife, and of course Mimis, and it went from there, with Bennett's advocacy, and signed off by the club. I am not saying it was all Bennett. As you said, and I agree, it was signed off by the board, by the club. They are responsible, not Bennett.

As for the rest, I agree, and maybe that's why Morris (and others), wanted to punt him in 2018, and got that totally wrong.

As I see it, nobody tells Bennett to **** off. Morris tried, Seibold tried, and we all saw how that ended. You just don't do that to a club legend. What was worked out originally, letting him see out his 2019 contract was the right thing to do, the only thing to do, if the club wanted to change the culture, to move on to some post-Bennett world.

Again, my point is about Wayne's influence on the club, and I certainly hope that some of the results of that like Milford, Pangai and Bird work out next year. I think they will under Walters, and will show that Bennett definitely did get an awful lot right.

Last edited:
To those who believe Bennett didn’t play any part in the enormous pile of steaming shit that was Boyd’s last contract; it stands to reason that you would also believe Bellamy had no idea whatsoever about the systematic salary cap cheating.

Nothing to see here.

A1310465 DF44 4398 B6EA 4E97BA517246

Last edited:
Why are we still talking about Boyd's too long contract?

The reality is, it turned out to be a 3 year deal and would anyone think a 3 year contract was unreasonable?

Maybe a year too long but entirely reasonable in NRL terms. Who cares who gets the blame but if anyone should be blamed it's White. He signs off deals, he's ultimately responsible.

Last edited:

Someone recently wrote that they liked his style so he's now going flat out to attract more approbation.

Someone recently wrote that they liked his style so he's now going flat out to attract more approbation.

Oh Huge, you crotchety old fart, I love you too. As Erasmus once said (played for the Sharks I think) : "Nothing is as peevish and pedantic as men's judgements of one another".

Cheers.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • Foordy
  • Redux
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behold
  • Porthoz
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
  • Accept
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bazza
  • Hurrijo
  • Pablo
  • winslow_wong
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.