The old dogs hating on Bennett

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Bennett doesn't want to be a coaching director he wants to be a head coach and the is a poor option for us. He will retire in 3 years and we will be right back were we are now. If he wants a role in the footy department, fine get him back. If he wants a head coachingnrole he can go elsewhere.

I see it now... If he does come back, and he doesn't win as a premiership quick smart... Everyone on here (including those who want him back in the first place) will start whinging about it.

Lets go and find a coach that has long term potential and can restore the club to its rightful place as the most feared and most respected club in the NRL.

P.s. We don't need DCE

Will we foordy? I won't. I've put up with that heap of shit we have coaching us without whinging until the last few weeks. Even when it was abundantly clear once Lockyer retired he couldn't take us anywhere, so I highly doubt I will whinge if he doesn't get us a premiership.

As long as he can restore some pride in the jersey, motivate the players, get rid of the ones that aren't buying in and use the fucking bench correctly I will be happy. All of these things griffin can't or won't do.

I cannot see the problem in getting Bennett back for a few years so we can do an extensive search to get the right coach going forward. Let's face it. How much of a search can we do between now and the off season?

Without Bennett it all points to another fucktastic year of mediocrity under Anthony Griffin

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
yeh and look how well he's done at Newcastle. he left the broncos and dragons in shambles, and now he's doing the same for the knights.

I agree that the knights first grade have been ordinary this year and the same with the dragons to a lessor extent over the past few years. However its the other stuff that he has fixed and laid the long term foundations for. Knights 16'/18's and 20's have gone from being rubbish to top of the pile and similar to the dragons during his time there. So the long term depth at those clubs are really strong and he is the one that changed both clubs development and recruitment programmes. Imo it is something we have missed since wayne has left, so I say let him come back and fix what is obvious from a next generation level.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Yeh he changed their recruitment policy to the over 30s and previously Bennett coached players lol. Nothing to write home about.

Since Bennett left, the Broncos have signed Inglis (even though it fell through), Dugan (same), Barba, and Milford. 4 of the best signings we've ever pulled off. 4 of the best signings any team could pull off. For the first time in 10 years we actually saw that we had a problem in some positions and acted on it. With Bennett near enough was good enough. He signed Wallace and then resigned him to a long term deal when it was clear as day to anyone with half a brain he was not a good long term halfback.

Lets also not forget that in 2 of the 3 dragons years we made it further than they did, and had Lockyer not gone down injured I have no doubt we would've won the premiership in 2011. We beat the knights in 2012, and look like we might beat them again this year with the knights still in the running for the wooden spoon.

He jagged a premiership with a team that cheated the salary cap "legally" to get gasnier on their books at $100k, and had a great team that he inherited. In the last 8 years hes only won as many premierships as like 6 other coaches, hes not some supercoach who's won every other premiership. He has completely and utterly failed at the knights, no one can say otherwise with a straight face. Its shown that without a great team hes just as useless as any other coach.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I agree. They're the most complacent board of directors we have had probably ever. Promote Locky to 2IC.

How?

Harvie and Lockyer have only been in the role for 12 months. Joseph and Watt have been around the club for a long time and Bickford since 2011.

I hardly see complacently as an issue.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Bennett will probably clean the joint out from a back office and structure side of things. So maybe the clicky groups in the club are worried about this so they are getting on the front foot to try and derail his come back. There will be some nervous staff members if he is re appointed. He cleaned the dragons and knights out from top to bottom.

That's every head coach in any role, Bennett has his own staff that goes with him like Hickmans. Considering a large amount at the Broncos are still there from Bennett's day I doubt a big change would happen at all.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I agree that the knights first grade have been ordinary this year and the same with the dragons to a lessor extent over the past few years. However its the other stuff that he has fixed and laid the long term foundations for. Knights 16'/18's and 20's have gone from being rubbish to top of the pile and similar to the dragons during his time there. So the long term depth at those clubs are really strong and he is the one that changed both clubs development and recruitment programmes. Imo it is something we have missed since wayne has left, so I say let him come back and fix what is obvious from a next generation level.

The EPD program is still in place and has been since 2006. Since 2008, Wynnum have won two Grand Finals, Redcliffe and Norths played in one and Jets made the finals every year as a Broncos feeder team.

20's also have made the finals 3 times and one Grand Final.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Haha, nice Cult3.

I thought the Knights were better across the park than the Broncos heading into 2014 but when you consider what both clubs have had to put up with, the Broncos have probably had a better run.

Before a ball was even kicked, they'd already lost their best playmaker for an unknown space of time to a torn hammy and their best recruit got himself locked up. Then they lost Boyd in their opening match of the season for a few games and of course McKinnon suffered that horrible injury which probably ranks right up there as the worst in the history of the game.

So to lose those 3 definitely hurt.

But going in, I thought they'd be right up there. I really rated their backline, thought they had plenty of depth there and the likes of Gagai, Uate, Boyd and Leilua had plenty of upside. Similar story with their halves, I thought Roberts would take his game to another level off that strong performance against the Storm in the finals and Mullen would be pressing claims for an Origin birth. Course that couldn't have been further from the truth.

I liked members of their forward pack too - Smith on his day is one of the best in the world.

Only thing that held me back was Kurt Gidley. I just didn't think he would be able to step up for them and wasn't impressed with what I saw from him in 2013 at hooker. He was my big question mark going in, but I thought sooner or later, he'd get injured and the Knights could move on with Clydsdale or whoever. Unfortunately for them, it hasn't been the case although he'd held his own out-wide.

Really....when you think about it, Bennett has plenty to work with at the Knights. I think their player talent pool is greater than ours.

it doesn't make sense that he's walked out of his contract....at least not for the reasons he's put forward.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
He hasn't done anything at the Knights and Dragons that hasn't been done at the Broncos as well or better.
Like 1910 said, you only have too look at the U20's and the Broncos feeder clubs to see where our development is.

Yes, we had a couple of bad years, but if you take a serious interest in the new crop coming through, there's plenty of reason to be excited about our future!

Same thing goes for our future, with the new centre of excellence development, the Logan Academy, etc...

I don't see any reason to "clean out" the back office, as we seem to be making good strides there, unless this cap rort probe comes back with reasons to do so of course.

Whether Griffin is our man remains to be seen. Personally, given his stature and how well regarded he is, I would certainly keep him at the club, although in a less technical position, for example in a supervisory role to the Walker Bros, while letting them take care of team tactics.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
How do you cheat the salary cap legally?

"we want to sign gasnier, former nsw/australian centre and one of the best of his generation"
Nrl: "excellent! For how much?"
"only 50k for these last 10 rounds of the year, then 100k next year"
Nrl: "no, not enough"
"oh yeah silly me, hes going to sign a 4.5 year deal where the last 2 years are for 800k+ each, so when you add it up and average it its 400k a year, making him one of the highest earners on average"
Nrl: "ok I guess we'll allow that"

Nek minit, he retires after the first 2 years and they never have to pay him the hugely backended years of the contract that were the only reason the NRL agreed to his tiny first year and a half's salary.

And that kids is how they cheated the salary cap legally.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
"we want to sign gasnier, former nsw/australian centre and one of the best of his generation"
"oh yeah silly me, hes going to sign a 4.5 year deal where the last 2 years are for 800k+ each, so when you add it up and average it its 400k a year, making him one of the highest earners on average"

Nek minit, he retires after the first 2 years and they never have to pay him the hugely backended years of the contract that were the only reason the NRL agreed to his tiny first year and a half's salary.

Lol oh please. There's a difference between cheating and exploiting a loophole.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

That's not cheating. It's taking advantage of a half witted administration

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Like I said, its cheating legally. They knew he was never going to play after those 2 years, and they willfully deceived the NRL. Its cheating plain and simple.

I find it funny that jeb especially laughs and claims they just took advantage of a loophole, when hes one of the biggest "storm are dirty with all their against the spirit of the game yet not illegal tactics" guys.

It was a underhanded move that should have resulted in at least a huge fine, if not the stripping of premiership points or worse. It was a $300k+ per year salary cap rort.

Last edited:
R

Rabbir

Banned User
Jul 4, 2013
Funny story about Wayne Bennett and Gordon Tallis.

When Bennett wanted to leave the Broncos he went to the Cowboys board and offered his services and said he would win the club a premiership. Gordie was on the board at the time and his vendetta against Bennett led to the board opting to hire Neil Henry back from the Raiders.

Dragons offered Wayne a boatload of money, he went there won the minor premiership and then the next year won the comp. Tallis was voted off the Cowboys board and failed as forwards coach of the Rabbitohs. Now he continues his vendetta in the media while all these clubs are trying to recruit Wayne for next season.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Lol oh please. There's a difference between cheating and exploiting a loophole.
Isn't that the definition of "cheating legally"?

You're doing something that isn't illegal, but you're doing it to cheat the spirit of the rule or law's loophole you're exploiting.

Last edited:
Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Painfully I agree with the Bennett hating AP on the Gasnier thing. Definitely cheating legally no matter which words you use. AP appears to be a bright guy although more in the way of an EvilMastermind ! If only he'd dedicate himself to writing good ! ( Righting ? )

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
Painfully I agree with the Bennett hating AP on the Gasnier thing. Definitely cheating legally no matter which words you use. AP appears to be a bright guy although more in the way of an EvilMastermind ! If only he'd dedicate himself to writing good ! ( Righting ? )

Technically, he's not writing anything. If you see it here, it's typed. If it's something he's doing, then it's righted. :takdir:

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Isn't that the definition of "cheating legally"?

You're doing something that isn't illegal, but you're doing it to cheat the spirit of the rule or law's loophole you're exploiting.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a fan of it either. And would like to think that after the Gasnier situation the guidelines would be changed to prevent it happening again (if they haven't already). But if it is within the rules, which it was in that instance, I don't think you can label it as cheating in any form. Against the spirit of the game yes, but not cheating.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Strop
  • mitch222
  • jd87
  • Culhwch
  • Galah
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • broncsgoat
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • bb_gun
  • Waynesaurus
  • Old Mate
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.