The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why anybody thinks we are paying for Kennedy at the Roosters or anybody's else salaries for that matter. Guessing is okay but if you reason we are paying for them to play elsewhere you must also reason Newcastle are paying Boyd for us and therefore we got him cheap....

I don't know why anybody thinks we are paying for Kennedy at the Roosters or anybody's else salaries for that matter.

There's a rule saying that if you release a player you have to pay the difference in their salary. I've no idea why we'd be paying Barba anything, if he's getting a million a year he's getting more than he was with us. If he was actually getting paid more than that with us then good riddance.

if you reason we are paying for them to play elsewhere you must also reason Newcastle are paying Boyd for us and therefore we got him cheap....

That's true. Although we don't know what Boyd is being paid yet. We only get him cheap if we chose to offer him less than the Knights contract value. I also Boyd had a clause in his contract, if he triggered it then these rules wouldn't have come into play. However, my recollection is that the trigger date lapsed and he was actually released, so potentially we are getting him cheap. We need to know what we are paying for him to figure it out.

Its not a contradiction because Barba wasn't even playing FB for half the year, despite being signed to play there, and finished the year playing 5/8 and being at least the third choice FB behind Hodges and Hoffman. Boyd isn't taking his spot, he lost it before Boyd even came into the picture.

Bennett didn't sign him so I don't see why he owes him any kind of loyalty.

The coach picks the squad he believes can do the job he wants and with Boyd, like many players before him from Benny's time at the Broncos, Bennett knows what hes going to get from him and can depend on him to fit the role he wants him to play. Had Benny not lasted as long as he did at the Broncos there would have been a lot more boyd-like examples of players following him imo.

I can understand people not embracing Darius signing but I believe he has truly confronted a few personal issues and grown a lot, even in the space of a few months, and I think he will surprise a few people if given the chance.

Even in the short term we are better off both roster wise and cap, like I said what Barba could offer the club off the bench or playing ISC would likely be better utilised by at least a handful of other guys.
I'd argue Barba was moved to 5/8 because we needed someone with a clue there, rather than him being displaced by anyone from the FB position. I'm not arguing his form wasn't flash at the back, but I don't believe he was third in the FB pecking order, more like the only available 5/8. And once there, he definitely started showed signs of improvement.

Of course WB doesn't owe Barba any loyalty, and of course it is his prerogative to choose his squad and the players he wants, but it is my prerogative to disagree with his choices, even if he probably knows 100 times more about RL than I do.
I just would have liked to see WB give Barba a shot to return to his best, instead of dragging Boyd around with him. Boyd's recruitment isn't just about his ability to fit the role WB wants. It's also about WB doing what's best for Darius...

Even without Barba in the team, I still don't think we needed Boyd, and that has nothing to do with Boyd's value as a footballer, other than him not being in the ballpark of must have players like Inglis/Milford/Hayne, etc...

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by this:
Had Benny not lasted as long as he did at the Broncos there would have been a lot more boyd-like examples of players following him imo.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by this:
I mean that Boyd isn't the first player who was very close with Bennett, they just had the luxury of him coaching them their entire careers at the same club.

There's a rule saying that if you release a player you have to pay the difference in their salary. I've no idea why we'd be paying Barba anything, if he's getting a million a year he's getting more than he was with us. If he was actually getting paid more than that with us then good riddance.

That's true. Although we don't know what Boyd is being paid yet. We only get him cheap if we chose to offer him less than the Knights contract value. I also Boyd had a clause in his contract, if he triggered it then these rules wouldn't have come into play. However, my recollection is that the trigger date lapsed and he was actually released, so potentially we are getting him cheap. We need to know what we are paying for him to figure it out.
What we can all agree on though is the financial relationships are unknown. I would say Newcastle released Boyd at some cost, not necessarily a large one but one nevertheless. No doubt we saved some money on Kennedy and now Barba. WB looks to be trying to set up a squad he chose but some Broncos must be on notice for 2016. The notion that we have spent money to get Boyd and cost the Broncos players is plainly stupid. Hala was gone along with Kennedy and Hoffman was never happy so it looks to me that Barba was the only one really moved on and who knows what he expected ? Maybe he forced WBs hand.

I agree the financials are unknown.

If Kennedy is only getting minimum then we haven't saved because we are obliged to replace him in our squad and that replacement will get the same minimum.

And me personally, I don't believe that the cost of Boyd will be known for a number of years.

Barba was moved because Bennett wanted Boyd. End of story.

I hope Barba regains his 2012 form where ever he ends up and I hope when he opposes us, he carves us up.

Sorry, signing Boyd for the reasons we signed him sucks.

Wrong, Barba was moved on because there was use for him,he was surplus to needs. He was also a financial burden which when removed allows the possible signing of Rod Griffin should he impress. Further to what Shakespeare wrote, should I find myself in a battle of wits, and I find myself half a wit short, I'll be sure to call on you....

I just want to point out the hilarity of these posts after barba now has at least 3 clubs gunning for him and reportedly offering over a million a season.

Its also hilarious in the fact that you say that we should believe it because the papers say it, but wouldn't listen when every paper for months said Boyd was coming for sure lol.

How ridiculous to quote some posts from a week or so ago which were made based on the reports at that time. Do you notice that you are about the only one that does this immature reposting rubbish just do you can be a hindsight hero?

I mean that Boyd isn't the first player who was very close with Bennett, they just had the luxury of him coaching them their entire careers at the same club.
Ah, thanks! Interesting...

I don't know why anybody thinks we are paying for Kennedy at the Roosters or anybody's else salaries for that matter. Guessing is okay but if you reason we are paying for them to play elsewhere you must also reason Newcastle are paying Boyd for us and therefore we got him cheap....

Boyd had a release clause which he activated, the other two didn't they're just being let go before the conclusion of their contract the financial details will still need to be met.

Wrong, Barba was moved on because there was use for him,he was surplus to needs. He was also a financial burden which when removed allows the possible signing of Rod Griffin should he impress. Further to what Shakespeare wrote, should I find myself in a battle of wits, and I find myself half a wit short, I'll be sure to call on you....

Barba and Kennedy were on too much for what Bennett was going to be able or wanted to use them.

There's a rule saying that if you release a player you have to pay the difference in their salary. I've no idea why we'd be paying Barba anything, if he's getting a million a year he's getting more than he was with us. If he was actually getting paid more than that with us then good riddance

The rule and example the nrl give on nrl.com for this is actually talking about making up the difference when they are released mid year but subsequent years you don't have to make up the difference.

So we wouldn't be paying anyone's salaries unless they play for us.
Barba hasn't been kicked out by the way. He wasn't released he has been given permission to negotiate with other squads as we can't guarantee a top 17 spot. You don't want a 3-400k in qld cup.

The rule and example the nrl give on nrl.com for this is actually talking about making up the difference when they are released mid year but subsequent years you don't have to make up the difference.

My understanding is the Titans kept paying part of Prince's wage for the year he played with us, and he wasn't a mid season release. Not sure if the rule has changed but the circumstances appear identical?

So we wouldn't be paying anyone's salaries unless they play for us.
Barba hasn't been kicked out by the way. He wasn't released he has been given permission to negotiate with other squads as we can't guarantee a top 17 spot. You don't want a 3-400k in qld cup.
That's incorrect. I posted it recently...

The example is clearly for 1.5 years, where the full contract value has to be paid between both clubs for the whole period!

My understanding is the Titans kept paying part of Prince's wage for the year he played with us, and he wasn't a mid season release. Not sure if the rule has changed but the circumstances appear identical?
In hindsight, what a dreadful decision by the Titans. As if Prince wouldn't have been in the starting 17 each week

What we can all agree on though is the financial relationships are unknown. I would say Newcastle released Boyd at some cost, not necessarily a large one but one nevertheless. No doubt we saved some money on Kennedy and now Barba. WB looks to be trying to set up a squad he chose but some Broncos must be on notice for 2016. The notion that we have spent money to get Boyd and cost the Broncos players is plainly stupid. Hala was gone along with Kennedy and Hoffman was never happy so it looks to me that Barba was the only one really moved on and who knows what he expected ? Maybe he forced WBs hand.

Not long after Boyd was photographed on his mid-season holiday, the Knights came out and said that if Boyd left they wouldn't be paying him a cent (but he was welcome to stay and fulfil the contract).

now, obviously i have no idea if they changed their stance, but it could also indicate that we are picking up his full contract value

No, he was moved because Hoffman was about the worst five eighth in the team yet was playing five eighth.

and Barba was in his present form, the worst fullback. It was actually a convenient swap around. Both player's form improved after being moved.....

EDIT: Off-topic

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Behind enemy lines
  • ell.d33
  • GCBRONCO
  • Lostboy
  • Aldo
  • Santa
  • Broncosarethebest
  • FACTHUNT
  • LittleDavey
  • Scdeac
  • Waynesaurus
  • azza.79
  • Allo
  • Shane Tronc
  • I bleed Maroon
  • simplythebest
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.