Status
Not open for further replies.
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Re: It feels good to be coached by Bennett again

Probably best to wait til after origin so we can see if Bennett brought his Post Origin Slump with him again.

That slump seams to be a trait all Broncos coaches have shared.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Re: It feels good to be coached by Bennett again

That slump seams to be a trait all Broncos coaches have shared.

And it seems the coaches that don't suffer the slump all seem to have multiple players involved in origin... hmmm, I wonder if there is some kind of pattern here... nah, probably not

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I was really disappointed that season when we won every game before Origin and then Bennett was the only player who took the field every week after that. Hopefully that season is on the next Broncos DVD.

B

big k

QCup Player
Apr 10, 2013
Watching Souths play this morning really puts our "super coached" game into perspective.

Souths were just incredible. Every play they had support players and decoys. Every set was different, not just 4 hitups then go wide then do a crappy bomb regardless of where we are on the field.

Reynolds' kicking game just completely killed any hopes St Helens had. Every kick he did came down/pulled up a metre short of the goal line, and they just bundled them in to the goals for a drop out time after time. The defence was always there in numbers. There were always bodies in motion. They just blew them off the park.

What makes it even more impressive was that it was in the same or worse conditions as the Broncos game, against a tougher opponent, yet they won 39-0 and we won by a penalty goal in golden point.

Give Bennett praise when he deserves it, but that pretty below average match where we stuck pretty closely to our gameplan from the last 3+ years with the bonus of having Milford isn't deserving of heaping praise on Bennett.

I can see where you are coming from but don't agree at all.

Firstly conditions were very different, well the condition of the respective fields were anyway.

Souths are a side that have had minor player changes, in terms of numbers and their backs and spine is relatively untouched. A couple of players unavailible. Their style of play has only needed to be adjusted slightly.

The flip side we have a new coach, several new players in key positions, change to half our spine, change in attack and defensive structures. Several players unavailable.

Now which team should hit the ground running and which should be given time to adjust and gel?

Perspective is needed along with time.

abashii

abashii

NRL Player
Contributor
Jul 14, 2014
I can see where you are coming from but don't agree at all.

Firstly conditions were very different, well the condition of the respective fields were anyway.

Souths are a side that have had minor player changes, in terms of numbers and their backs and spine is relatively untouched. A couple of players unavailible. Their style of play has only needed to be adjusted slightly.

The flip side we have a new coach, several new players in key positions, change to half our spine, change in attack and defensive structures. Several players unavailable.

Now which team should hit the ground running and which should be given time to adjust and gel?

Perspective is needed along with time.

G'day big k. You said in another thread you hadn't posted here in a while so you might not have the full perspective on this. Anonymous has major issues with Wayne Bennett. If Bennett helped an old lady cross the street AP would complain that Wayne had deprived a boy scout of the opportunity for a good deed.

Read through this thread if you like (but it's a lot of depressing bullshit and the same arguments going round in circles) and you'll see what I'm saying. Wayne Bennett could coach us to a record three premierships in a row and AP would complain that Bennett had left us without the depth required to win a fourth.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
And some people thought we'd never see Reed or Maranta in the side again with Bennett returning :laugh:

But i guess they are good selections now since Hook isn't making them ... Right?

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Who said we'd never see them again? Maranta was probably our most consistent winger last year if you factor in all his work under the high ball, Vidot didn't really prove that he deserved a spot in the trials, seemed very lazy.

Reed at left centre isn't ideal, but considering it's most likely that Copley attacks there whilst Reed defends there, it's the best we could've done I guess, it'll be way different next season once Wayne has actually got a chance to clean out some of the junk and recruit Gagai etc.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
I actually like Maranta in the side, he actually did go ok in the game in england.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Bennet picks one of the worst backlines the broncos have ever seen, no surprises

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Hodgo should be jumping out of his skin with Maranta next to him! :laugh:

FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
Hook must be sitting back having a good laugh to hesself after reading the team list. Well weve made our bed, now time to sleep in it no matter how uncomfortable it going to be.

BroncosAlways

BroncosAlways

NRL Captain
Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Hook must be sitting back having a good laugh to hesself after reading the team list. Well weve made our bed, now time to sleep in it no matter how uncomfortable it going to be.

It'll be a short laugh then, because he'll probably realise he won't ever be an NRL coach again and blew his only chance by being a shit coach. And then there's the premierships Bennett has over him, etc etc..

So yeah I don't think hook will be laughing for too long

FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
It'll be a short laugh then, because he'll probably realise he won't ever be an NRL coach again and blew his only chance by being a **** coach. And then there's the premierships Bennett has over him, etc etc..

So yeah I don't think hook will be laughing for too long

Sorry lad, fair call. Im just so angry though and had so much hope for this season. But If WB is going to make a habit of naming these team lists, his clearly left hes brain at the knights/dragons cause he certainly didnt bring it with him.

Rabbits by at least 30.

BroncosAlways

BroncosAlways

NRL Captain
Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Sorry lad, fair call. Im just so angry though and had so much hope for this season. But If WB is going to make a habit of naming these team lists, his clearly left hes brain at the knights/dragons cause he certainly didnt bring it with him.

Rabbits by at least 30.

Yeah I understand mate, I'm guilty of being incredibly pissed off at the whole Maranta debacle.

Gotta have faith in whichever team runs out though, as long as they've got the emblem on their chest. Even if it incldes fucking maranta

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
:laugh: Okay yeah, I'm officially done with this thread. Some of you blokes are losing it.

Tell me a worse one then?

i am referring to our 1 - 5 for the record. Last year we at least had Vidot in the team and at times we had Copley in his right position of centre. Barba, while out of out form was still better than 4/5 of our current 1 - 5. Hodges is the only decent player in today's lineup. Copley would be if named at centre and Vidot would be also. I look at even a backline like the eels and see how bad ours is... And they have beau champion and Robinson!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• mrslong
  • Battler
  • Shane Tronc
  • Wolfie
  • kiwibronco
  • Big Del
  • scobie
  • Strop
  • Old Mate
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dash
  • FACTHUNT
  • thenry
  • Manofoneway
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.