The World Cup general discussion thread

Brazil give Chile a thumping 3-0. Dutch V. Brazil coming up next.

Netherlands are doing enough to win and showed in patches just how good they can play. Slovakia didn't really test them but Brazil will throw a series of kitchen sinks at them, with Wesley and Robben fit and playing the Dutch can genuinely feel they can beat anyone.

Brazil were superb this morning, they controlled a side like Chile who like to dictate terms and never looked very stressed, Ramires will be a big loss to suspension especially if Melo doesn't return because Wesley can murder teams playing out of that hole where Gilberto and Ramires have worked so well in tendem. Should be a classic as Brazil will need to play well to win and the Dutch will need to play even better than that.

Loving the quality of football at this tournament now and even the weak quarter final of Uruguay vs Ghana should prove to be a fast and exciting match up.

I reckon Holland's fullbacks will really struggle with the pace and movement of the Brazilians.

yep, the world cup has become hella exciting. Brazil were awesome. can't wait for Brazil Netherlands. in 94 and 98 they produced two all time classics, their styles against each other make for awesome games.

98 was an epic! Kluivert with the headed equaliser with time running out, pity the Dutch are like England in penalty shootouts.

Spain are almost unbackable favourites to win tonight.

COME ON!!!

torgief.gif

VIIIILLLLLAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bye bye pretty boy!

Just watched the Spain vs Portugal game here at work. It was a pretty exciting one! I was going for Spain. :D

BTW, what happened with that red card?

Elbow apparently, all the replays they showed were inconclusive.

First game, I want those 120 minutes of my life back! Paraguay and Japan was horrid they both played for penalties and the slightly less negative team won so some small justice was done in the end.

Spain v Portugal, WOW! first half was tight and tense and both sides had a few chances but for the most part both defenses looked assured and Pepe and Tiago really didn't allow Xavi and Iniesta to weave magic between midfield and defense. Then the second half came and Spain really turned the screws, that was probably the best half of football I have ever seen from an international team. They dominated Portugal for the entire 45 minutes and could have won the half 5-0 if not for good goalkeeping and a few chances narrowly going the wrong side of the post. Ramos was probably the best on the field he and Coentrao had an amazing duel down that flank and I can imagine the Portuguese fullback will end up at a very good club soon. Villa got a bit wider and Ramos came forward more and that stretched the defense enough to give Iniesta and Xavi time to really get involved and they and Alonso completely bossed the game while Busquets was superb retaining lost possession. Villa was such a constant threat and will cause havoc cutting from the left at Barcelona the position he will take from Henry next season. I don't think I have seen a forward so consistently hit the target when shooting regardless of the angle or distance he always works the keeper.

The goal was a Barca goal through and through, Iniesta's ball was perfect and Xavi's flick on once again showed the incredible awareness and skill that he has, Villa will probably be annoyed he didn't finish it first time but the goal was scored and justice was done.

Torres was much sharper and looks a bit better for the game time he is getting but the big positive is Llorente was superb late in the game and was very unlucky not to add to the Villa goal, he is a quality target man with plenty of skill. To be honest Casillas was the only player for Spain who didn't have a great game, as he had a few nervy moments in the first half.

Ronaldo, what a myth he is. He has never been dominant for Portugal and has never been dominant in a big match, first half when he was quite involved he received a bit of treatment so legal some not but was so hellbent on getting fouls and cards for his markers that he wouldn't ride a single challenge and try to play on. The second half he was completely anonymous may as well taken him off because he offered nothing, the fact he is captain is laughable because he is not a team player and is one of the least inspiring figures you could find in world football. He doesn't motivate his teammates and petulantly stops whenever he doesn't get a whistle in his favour. Bruno Alves or Pepe needs to take the captains armband because it is a joke that he is even considered a leader, he was atrocious in terms of his performance and in terms of his leadership.

Spain will easily dispose of Paraguay and the potential matchups with either Argentina or Germany are mouth watering.

Just saw footage of Ronaldo clearly spitting at a camera after the match, my god he is a giant douche.

LOL. That is a rather ghey pic.

He is generally hot. But not in that pic.

You fail Kris.

Active Now

• MrRobot
  • Scorchie
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Spooky1013
  • Broncorob
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosarethebest
  • barker
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
  • Tim K
  • FACTHUNT
  • Wolfie
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Mustafur
  • Waynesaurus
  • Jedhead
  • rj9
  • LockyersLeftBoot
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.