Time for a new coach. . .

Chumbason said:
I doubt this season would be going very much better even if WB was still here. There have been signs of a complete wipe out coming for years. If ppl are so keen to say that a new coach can't be blamed for what happens in his first year, then some blame has to go on the previous coach...WB. He built a club that has almost always relied on the ability of one great player to get us home week in and week out. There is evidence of this in hundreds of broncos games and plenty of ppl have suggested as much for years. I think there's every chance WB saw this coming and knew there was nothing he could do to stop it. His golden boy Lockyer was no longer up to pulling us out of the fire week after week and the majority of the rest of the club had lost interest. And the point of Penrith and their coach, Elliott had not been there for ten years being brainwashed into the previous coach's style. We have got a watered down version of a coaching style that was only just getting it done... that's why we're not even A grade at the moment. We do need a new coach and we need to rid the club of as much of the old style of coaching as we can, because the "no game plan, no set moves, no off-loading and no ability to wrap the ball up" WB type of Broncos footy that we've seen for years now, doesn't work.

Agree 100%. How many years have we just scraped through to the finals, including 2006? Too many, and I strongly believe that we need to miss the 8 this year so the club can finally face their problems and actually do something about it . Recruitment/retention has been a major problem for 8-9 years now and look at the result. Henjak can only do what he has been taught and I highly doubt that the Broncos would be different this year had WB stayed. When was the last time the Broncos went without a slump/really poor form? Hardly ever.

We do need a new coach, one that has no ties to the club at all. Because that has always been a problem. We always bring in people who can't have 100% complete objectivity and as a result we always play the stupid one-out, bash and barge (not in the last 8 weeks though), boring play that has gotten us nowhere except blowouts.

I disagree, at this time. I just don't think it is fair for anyone to be judging Ivan just yet. Give him a proper opportunity, if there are no signs of real improvement next year, then start considering it, but also weigh in that he is going to be stuck with an even weaker roster next year by the way it looks.

To be honest, maybe it's just me but even in the first 8 weeks, although winning I did not think the Broncos were playing all that great. There were exciting patches but overall I thought we were nothing special.

mal said:
To be honest, maybe it's just me but even in the first 8 weeks, although winning I did not think the Broncos were playing all that great. There were exciting patches but overall I thought we were nothing special.

I agree.

Give Henjak a break!

I stand by the Broncos' decision to back him and at least give him an extra season. I must admit he's a genuine guy who may end up doing quite well - only time will tell.

Let's see how our new recruitment and his development of talent go.

Brisbane were good early, but I am yet to see a comp won in the first 8 weeks. We were very lucky to get half the wins we did and I didn't for a minute think we were a new team. For years now the broncos have been brilliant in parts, but bloody awfull for long patches and all under the guidance of WB and his assistant Ivan Henjack. I had hoped they would find someone better, but perhaps there isn't anyone right now. So unless the broncos can learn to do things differently, nothing will change... they will be brilliant in pathces, but bloody awful for the most part.

I don't mind Henjak but I would really love to know what the Broncos game plan is?? All they ever seem to do is throw it to Lockyer who throws it to Hodges. Also I want to see Lockyer hit the grass with some of his kicks.

Don't you watch the games? Our game plan is to get the ball and run towards the big sticks.

If Henjak can get the team to defend as a unit, keep a straight line in defence, and actually run at the opposition in defence and smash 'em instead of waiting for them to come to us. Drive the bastards back. Then re-form and do it again and again. Give them no room, then he's taken a good first step to being a first grade coach.

No wait - 2nd step. Dropping Michaels was the first.

thought maybe this topic might need a revisit.

maybe henjak heas been on the site

mal said:
I still reserve judgement until I see consistency in results.
It's been basically consistent with the last 8 years of results - Get out of the blocks all guns blazing, get to the top of the ladder and stay there til the seasons mid-point, then lose most of the games for about an 8 week period, then we get back into the swing of things.

Anonymous person said:
mal said:
I still reserve judgement until I see consistency in results.
It's been basically consistent with the last 8 years of results - Get out of the blocks all guns blazing, get to the top of the ladder and stay there til the seasons mid-point, then lose most of the games for about an 8 week period, then we get back into the swing of things.

Except in 2003. 2005. 2007.

so 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008?

5/8 of the years then, my mistake ;)

2003 was basically it - they just didnt recover at the end. on top of the ladder midway through, then just lost 8 in a row.

Same deal with 2005 - we just didnt get out of the rut.

2007 was just horrible, I like to forget that years results [icon_lol1.

2001 and 2004 I'm giving benefit of the doubt to. Broncos JUST managed to win in last round 2001, lost first final, won second final then lost 3rd final.

In 2004 they were bounced out of the finals in consecutive games.

So really you can only say 3/8 have they actually got themselves back into form at the end of the season.

2003 team, especially towards the end, was our worst "regular" team this decade. If I recall correctly, our highest score was 38 and we struggled to put 30 past the other teams. and the two losses at home against parra and dragons in the last two rounds were just too much to handle in consecutive weeks :( .

Active Now

• Shane Tronc
  • broncotville
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brocko
  • Purple Pills
  • Astro
  • sooticus
  • RolledOates
  • Allo
  • Howie
  • broncsgoat
  • Aldo
  • Wolfie
  • winslow_wong
  • NSW stables
  • theshed
  • Waynesaurus
  • ivanhungryjak
  • MaroubraBroncos
  • Mustafur
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.