Time for Milford to go

I did and while I heartily agree that he's being paid too much I don't think shuffling him off to the Titans, at a discount, thereby strengthening them is the answer. I absolutely think he can ball play, 2015 to confirm, but he's not a halfback. He's not the cool head that controls the game and orders the forwards around. He's the player that injects himself into the game, takes on the line and uses his running game to set up the players around him. The reality is, we don't have the halves partner that can do this for him so he's expected to do all of it.
Fair enough. I don't want him simply "shipped off to the Titans" either. I just think Elgey is a solid playmaker and Melbourne or Sydney Roosters may end up getting Milford for a much bigger discount. A much bigger discount without a suitable replacement. Knowing Bennett these days he may trade him for a winger.

Yes, Milford is a running 5/8. I understand and his running game hasn't been bad. Not so good either mind you. But for the money he is on and considering the semi-uselessness of Nikorima, Milford has to step up and do a lot more playmaking. I don't think he has the ability. IMO fullback or sayonara for Milford. Gold Coast have a good playmaking halfback and strong forwards. Milford would probably go very well feeding of them. If they could pay out a large % of his contract, I would be happy to see him gone. We could get Elgey to play halfback and Nikorima to be a running 5/8. I know it would seem absurd to swap Elgey for Milford but the money Milford, Bird and Boyd are on could very well screw up the team for another 4 years.
Maybe we shouldn't have let the good playmaking halfback go to the Tits. Like @Harry Sack says, why the hell would you strengthen their team further by sending one of the best players in the competition there?
It doesn't just seem absurd... it totally is, especially given the fact that Elgey is as much of an organiser as Milford.

Milford may not be setting the world on fire at the moment, but it's exactly because he is being pushed into a role he's not suited for. His price-tag is related to his extraordinary talent and ability to play what's in front of him, not because he's an organiser or game manager.
Look at the Warriors and the huge difference Blake Green makes. Compare Shaun Johnson's footy before and after...

They're pretty much the bronco rejects club
It's more and more like we're their feeder club now...

Maybe we shouldn't have let the good playmaking halfback go to the Tits. Like @Harry Sack says, why the hell would you strengthen their team further by sending one of the best players in the competition there?
It doesn't just seem absurd... it totally is, especially given the fact that Elgey is as much of an organiser as Milford.

Milford may not be setting the world on fire at the moment, but it's exactly because he is being pushed into a role he's not suited for. His price-tag is related to his extraordinary talent and ability to play what's in front of him, not because he's an organiser or game manager.
Look at the Warriors and the huge difference Blake Green makes. Compare Shaun Johnson's footy before and after...

It's more and more like we're their feeder club now...

Hindsight with Taylor is a wonderful thing to have, but then you also have to take into consideration that even if he stayed on for his additional season he may have left anyway and in the process grown resentment towards Bennett and the club for standing in his way. I would have liked to keep him as much as the next person, but when you start introducing hindsight you also must consider other possibilities that come about doing so.

That said I do agree with your stance on Milford, we have weakened him and paying the price for it and that is the result of playing two ball running players in the halves, Kodi clearly can't handle the pressure and Milford is having trouble trying to be both. He truly has only been dangerous this season when he has focused on running the ball(and he has failed at times with that granted but the point is still valid). Was Marshall really asking for much of an upgrade to stay on?

Hindsight with Taylor is a wonderful thing to have, but then you also have to take into consideration that even if he stayed on for his additional season he may have left anyway and in the process grown resentment towards Bennett and the club for standing in his way. I would have liked to keep him as much as the next person, but when you start introducing hindsight you also must consider other possibilities that come about doing so.

That said I do agree with your stance on Milford, we have weakened him and paying the price for it and that is the result of playing two ball running players in the halves, Kodi clearly can't handle the pressure and Milford is having trouble trying to be both. He truly has only been dangerous this season when he has focused on running the ball(and he has failed at times with that granted but the point is still valid). Was Marshall really asking for much of an upgrade to stay on?
Hindsight would be if I didn't repeatedly say this would happen back in 2014... :p

I will not blame Bennett for doing the right thing by Taylor in 2015. In view of the circumstances (Hunt and Milford killing it in 2015), it was the correct choice.
My issue is and has always been other decisions that led to this... Boyd's recruitment being numero uno.

Hindsight would be if I didn't repeatedly say this would happen back in 2014... :p

I will not blame Bennett for doing the right thing by Taylor in 2015. In view of the circumstances (Hunt and Milford killing it in 2015), it was the correct choice.
My issue is and has always been other decisions that led to this... Boyd's recruitment being numero uno.

What does Boyd’s recruitment have to do with it?

I could be wrong but I believe a lot of people were critical of signing Boyd for 4 more years on big money when it seemed he was past his best last year. This year would have been the time the Bennett of old sent him to get a retirement package on the Gold Coast or NQ. As is now he is going to be taking up a large chunk of the salary cap for 4 more years!!!! Given how bad he has been this year, I can hardly imagine how bad he will be in 3 years from now. I doubt he will be good enough for the QLD Cup. I can't speak for anyone else but that is most certainly what I believe.

But back on topic as it pertains to Milford, IMO given his age and his ability as a runner if he has a really good playmaker at halfback or as a fullback, I believe another club would be willing to pick up a large part of his salary for the next 4 years. No chance of that for Boyd.

How long is Nikorima signed for? Does anyone else think Elgey from the Titans could be a good halfback? Not as good as Taylor obviously but far better than Nikorima. On the downside he will command significantly more money than Nikorima. Can the club afford the salary cap with him, Milford, Bird, Boyd and decent forwards and outside backs?

IMO as is signing one of them (Bird, Boyd, Milford) on big money was a mistake. Signing all 3 on long term deals is potentially catastrophic!

And BTW, don't forget Milfords speed and agility was probably at its peak last year or 2 years ago. Even with an outstanding playmaking halfback he will probably never be as good as he was 2 years ago. Unless of course he can develop playmaking ability himself.

Because Hook signed Milford specifically to play fullback remember? But then we signed Bennett who obviously brought his son and then everything was downhill from there. Except for the times when they weren't, but those times don't matter.

Feel free to read all the threads about Milford, Boyd, Bennett, Barba, etc... from 2014. What it comes down to is:

Despite Hunt playing quite well, I always saw him as a 5/8, and viewed Taylor as the ONLY pure blood halfback we had, so I was still hoping he would rise to the top, but that implied having a halves spot available, and under Bennett, Boyd would never lose the fullback position, which would force Milford into the halves, and with Hunt also there, there would be no place for any of the young players coming through, especially both Nikorimas and Taylor. I predicted we'd lose a few of them.

The crux of the matter is, that we did not need Boyd, at all. We had plenty of players for the position, starting with but not limited to Milford. (Kahu proved as much for half of the 2015 season)

2015 came, and of course, with the way Milford and Hunt performed, not many people cared about losing Taylor and Jayden Nikorima, and even though I still did not think Hunt was the halfback we needed, it was hard to blame Bennett for letting both go.

Because Hook signed Milford specifically to play fullback remember? But then we signed Bennett who obviously brought his son and then everything was downhill from there. Except for the times when they weren't, but those times don't matter.
giphy.gif

And BTW, don't forget Milfords speed and agility was probably at its peak last year or 2 years ago. Even with an outstanding playmaking halfback he will probably never be as good as he was 2 years ago. Unless of course he can develop playmaking ability himself.
You know how old Milford is, don't you? Since when do players peak at age 20/21, especially halves?

Besides, Milford has plenty of playmaking ability. He just isn't suited to the organiser/game manager role. Those two things are not one and the same!

Feel free to read all the threads about Milford, Boyd, Bennett, Barba, etc... from 2014. What it comes down to is:

Despite Hunt playing quite well, I always saw him as a 5/8, and viewed Taylor as the ONLY pure blood halfback we had, so I was still hoping he would rise to the top, but that implied having a halves spot available, and under Bennett, Boyd would never lose the fullback position, which would force Milford into the halves, and with Hunt also there, there would be no place for any of the young players coming through, especially both Nikorimas and Taylor. I predicted we'd lose a few of them.

The crux of the matter is, that we did not need Boyd, at all. We had plenty of players for the position, starting with but not limited to Milford. (Kahu proved as much for half of the 2015 season)

2015 came, and of course, with the way Milford and Hunt performed, not many people cared about losing Taylor and Jayden Nikorima, and even though I still did not think Hunt was the halfback we needed, it was hard to blame Bennett for letting both go.

giphy.gif

Milford was playing 5/8 regardless. Even if we didn't get Boyd, Bennett had other players in the running (the most likely being Kahu) but Milford was never one of them which was confirmed by Bennett when he came to the club.

The decision that led to us losing Taylor was Milford being signed and Bennett sticking with Hunt at halfback. Boyd had nothing to do with it. Bennett wasn't sure Boyd was even coming to the club or even wanted to play footy when he made the decision. He was still getting treatment.

Milford was playing 5/8 regardless. Even if we didn't get Boyd, Bennett had other players in the running (the most likely being Kahu) but Milford was never one of them which was confirmed by Bennett when he came to the club.

The decision that led to us losing Taylor was Milford being signed and Bennett sticking with Hunt at halfback. Boyd had nothing to do with it. Bennett wasn't sure Boyd was even coming to the club or even wanted to play footy when he made the decision. He was still getting treatment.
First, this doesn't change the fact we did not need Boyd... period!

Second, Milford doesn't have a clause stating he will play 5/8 exclusively.
Wayne is far from stupid and without Boyd here, I am sure he would have looked at alternatives for his spine, one of which would include Milford at fullback and an actual halfback as the no. 7.

As to your last sentences... please, save that for the gullible.

Didn't Taylor leave because Bennett didn't have a spot for him, not the money? Fail to see how that's Boyd's problem.

At any rate. I'd have picked Boyd any day of the week over a kid with no experience, that some crazy foreigner had a chub for ;-)

First, this doesn't change the fact we did not need Boyd... period!

Second, Milford doesn't have a clause stating he will play 5/8 exclusively.
Wayne is far from stupid and without Boyd here, I am sure he would have looked at alternatives for his spine, one of which would include Milford at fullback and an actual halfback as the no. 7.

As to your last sentences... please, save that for the gullible.

Have some respect. Boyd's mental health issues were real and there was a very high chance that he wouldn't have kept playing. I won't disagree with your other points but I will not let you spout that rubbish.

Have some respect. Boyd's mental health issues were real and there was a very high chance that he wouldn't have kept playing. I won't disagree with your other points but I will not let you spout that rubbish.
Yeah. If not real, he is an outstanding actor. But that doesn't excuse Bennett for signing him. Though personally I wasn't critical at the time. Last year when he signed a 4 year extension I was flabbergasted. Old Wayne is doing a Newcastle on Brisbane. I fear a few very lean years coming up.

Yeah. If not real, he is an outstanding actor. But that doesn't excuse Bennett for signing him. Though personally I wasn't critical at the time. Last year when he signed a 4 year extension I was flabbergasted. Old Wayne is doing a Newcastle on Brisbane. I fear a few very lean years coming up.

What exactly is a ‘Newcastle’?

Thing is mate Brisbane will never accept mediocrity. We may have a year here or there but we won't be wooden spooners .. is that what you mean by a Newcastle? A wooden spoon.

Doing a Newcastle? So we are going to play really well and then one of our forwards will break his neck while the players stop getting paid?

Agree Boyd, recruitment or retention of a nice to have can cost you a lot of must haves...

Boyd really cost Taylor. Sims and Thaiday perhaps we could have kept ESE, Moga ruined Oppa development, Glenn is standing in way of Sua... SuperCoach’s primary superpower has been keeping players for unders which doesn’t seem to happen much anymore.

I do blame WB for Taylor. Honestly what was his plan? I get the do the right thing for Taylor but was it even that? And certainly wasn’t for the club. If either Hunt or Milf got injured, had poor form or got origin selection who was the backup? KNik sure as hell wasn’t ready 3 years ago and isn’t ready now. Or if Boyd got injured who plays fullback? Better Mikf than Kahu or other randoms. If Macca injured Hunt could have covered that with Taylor at HB...

As for right thing for Taylor, sending a young bloke who doesn’t know any better to a sh*tbag club was never going to help his development as footballer. His game now clearly demonstrates that while he is good, an extra year or so in ISC with proper coaching might have helped round him out a lot more and be ready for origin this year rather than 3 years at current pace of development. The only thing that helped Taylor was the money side which is extremely important but the offer he had wasn’t an enormous offer at first IIRC. Could have tried to find him a little more at Broncos for goodwill. Also the he will come back argument is nonsense and clearly not thought out. Once you give someone a taste for both the money and crap culture at GC asking a lot of a young bloke to take less at Broncs and want to come back to a hard work ethic culture. Also we didn’t send him after giving him his first real chance at NRL (1 short game after leaving doesn’t count)- GC did that so while he was in Broncs system for years GC now look like the guys who held the faith - we essentially told him we had better options without really giving him a chance while they told him you are our saviour, would you have strong urge to return to someone who picked other guys ahead of you (who then proceeded to stink it up)...

If you let someone go you can do it on good terms and you might even do it to prevent resentment and send a good message to future players but don’t kid yourself they will come back to return the favour. Almost all that do come back for homesickness/family reasons. But GC is an hour down the m1...

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • Battler
  • Foordy
  • Big Del
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  • bb_gun
  • winslow_wong
  • Bucking Beads
  • Skathen
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.