Time for Milford to go

Strop

Strop

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 28, 2015
Once Kahu is back, he is certainly one to target in attack as well.

The problem is attacking kicks require accuracy our halves haven't had since 2013 (except perhaps Benji), and can easily end in 7 tackle sets for the opposition.
Milford might get there eventually, given his kicking has been progressing (slowly), but without a good kicker in the team, it's a tactic which could cause more harm than good...

Bingo.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Once Kahu is back, he is certainly one to target in attack as well.

The problem is attacking kicks require accuracy our halves haven't had since 2013 (except perhaps Benji), and can easily end in 7 tackle sets for the opposition.
Milford might get there eventually, given his kicking has been progressing (slowly), but without a good kicker in the team, it's a tactic which could cause more harm than good...

I agree in general with what you said, although I'm not so sure the tactic is as much a concern as that(don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there aren't risks), especially given that the current options they take have a tendency to end up that way anyway, I'm not convinced grubber after grubber after grubber(you might get repeat sets but we have shown a high tendency to just hand the ball over anyway with a 7 tackle set) is that effective to the point that we shouldn't consider some variation to our kicking near the opposition line. I'd rather some variation then none at all.

On another note does anyone feel it might be time to bring in a playmaking utility on the bench to perhaps give experience and pressure the present options. Or maybe that is just wishful thinking given Bennett did say he is committed to Milford and Kodi(for 2018). I'm starting to wonder myself, does he have it in himself anymore to make those tough decisions in the best interests of the team, does he have that hunger anymore? And if you know my stance on Bennett you know that is a hard thing for me to say.

Last edited:
T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
I agree in general with what you said, although I'm not so sure the tactic is as much a concern as that(don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there aren't risks), especially given that the current options they take have a tendency to end up that way anyway, I'm not convinced grubber after grubber after grubber(you might get repeat sets but we have shown a high tendency to just hand the ball over anyway with a 7 tackle set) is that effective to the point that we shouldn't consider some variation to our kicking near the opposition line. I'd rather some variation then none at all.

On another note does anyone feel it might be time to bring in a playmaking utility on the bench to perhaps give experience and pressure the present options. Or maybe that is just wishful thinking given Bennett did say he is committed to Milford and Kodi(for 2018). I'm starting to wonder myself, does he have it in himself anymore to make those tough decisions in the best interests of the team, does he have that hunger anymore? And if you know my stance on Bennett you know that is a hard thing for me to say.
I think there is a lot of buying for time with the coach right now. We are not fit, and probably won't hit peak fitness for a while yet.
I think he is doing everything in his power to take the pressure off the team. Even setting himself for a personal attack or two.
Ideally we would have a bench utility filling that role you speak of, but I can't see our forwards surviving with one less. With our fragile backs we need someone who can fill in at centre or wing.
I guess thaiday, Sims and sua might work against smaller packs but we're playing the warriors.
You'd know better than me on this, but I suspect our best bet is to try and wear sides down rather than the traditional broncos game of expansive attack. Our kicking game may be struggling, but our back line looks disjointed and in slow motion. As much as people criticise Boyd as fullback his pass in the 20 is the most dangerous. Otherwise we lack coherance and rely on individual brilliance. There's plenty there in Milford and roberts, but it soon gets predictable and they end up having someone in their face every time they get the ball.
We also seem to find confidence in attack when our defence is strong, and a initial willingness to go back to some no frills simple gameplay might help in that (so long as we can hold onto the football and tackle, no certainty at the moment).

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I think there is a lot of buying for time with the coach right now. We are not fit, and probably won't hit peak fitness for a while yet.
I think he is doing everything in his power to take the pressure off the team. Even setting himself for a personal attack or two.
Ideally we would have a bench utility filling that role you speak of, but I can't see our forwards surviving with one less. With our fragile backs we need someone who can fill in at centre or wing.
I guess thaiday, Sims and sua might work against smaller packs but we're playing the warriors.
You'd know better than me on this, but I suspect our best bet is to try and wear sides down rather than the traditional broncos game of expansive attack. Our kicking game may be struggling, but our back line looks disjointed and in slow motion. As much as people criticise Boyd as fullback his pass in the 20 is the most dangerous. Otherwise we lack coherance and rely on individual brilliance. There's plenty there in Milford and roberts, but it soon gets predictable and they end up having someone in their face every time they get the ball.
We also seem to find confidence in attack when our defence is strong, and a initial willingness to go back to some no frills simple gameplay might help in that (so long as we can hold onto the football and tackle, no certainty at the moment).

The catch is though, a big pet of wearing down oppositions, especially those with large forward packs, is to keep turning them around with a good kicking game. Kick early, kick long.

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
Im not against that. Whether we can do it is another matter, but we wont beat them playing side to side. They've been playing too good, and our backs don't scare anyone at the moment (with the individual exceptions of milford and roberts). We have forwards who can do the job if they set their mind to it, but that first half will mean everything. It's where we win and lose games with our team at the moment. Our revival against the knights was built on the that first half and coming over the top of them.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
115m
3 line breaks
9 tackle busts
1 try
He did good , just wasn't polished

+ 2 errors and about 5 passes that went to nobody but the ground ...

I might be too harsh on our Million dollar half, but IMO a guy on a contract that size shouldn't be fucking up a pass that often ... in fact with the exception of the try, he fucked up after every bit of good play he did. basically undoing all his good work.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013

I might be too harsh on our Million dollar half, but IMO a guy on a contract that size shouldn't be fucking up a pass that often ... in fact with the exception of the try, he fucked up after every bit of good play he did. basically undoing all his good work.

Those couple of passes were lol bad but the bloke is having to create and execute everything himself. No one else is going with him, you can see the frustration coming out of milf.

He also secured a few repeat sets and i believe he may have thrown that pass after making the break and getting around ponga because people are constantly banging on about him needing to create try scoring opportunities.

He’s not going fantastic, but Saturday was a massive step in the right direction towards him doing what we all know what he can do.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013

I did say it wasn't polished. If he can produce numbers lime that when he is off his game then there is hope.

P

papabear

NYC Player
Nov 1, 2013
I would play him at fullback and boyd at 6, but I have been saying that ever since the broncos have been going the other way with it.

If you dont want him though the other 15 clubs in the comp would take him.

R

Reyter

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
No snide comment, you just repeated Nathan Brown's hilarious little joke so I thought you might have been him. My apologies.
I see. I apologize as well. It's true I was just so frustrated and saw this thread and they were my thoughts exactly. They guy who made the thread copped a lot of abuse for his comment so I felt compelled to join and say I agree completely. Then I copped the same abuse. It frustrated me a little. To say the least.

Yes, Milford is a running 5/8. I understand and his running game hasn't been bad. Not so good either mind you. But for the money he is on and considering the semi-uselessness of Nikorima, Milford has to step up and do a lot more playmaking. I don't think he has the ability. IMO fullback or sayonara for Milford. Gold Coast have a good playmaking halfback and strong forwards. Milford would probably go very well feeding of them. If they could pay out a large % of his contract, I would be happy to see him gone. We could get Elgey to play halfback and Nikorima to be a running 5/8. I know it would seem absurd to swap Elgey for Milford but the money Milford, Bird and Boyd are on could very well screw up the team for another 4 years.

R

Reyter

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
I would play him at fullback and boyd at 6, but I have been saying that ever since the broncos have been going the other way with it.

I would make Bird 5/8 and Boyd centre. I think it would be an improvement but the absence of a playmaker could still screw the team.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
I see. I apologize as well. It's true I was just so frustrated and saw this thread and they were my thoughts exactly. They guy who made the thread copped a lot of abuse for his comment so I felt compelled to join and say I agree completely. Then I copped the same abuse. It frustrated me a little. To say the least.

Yes, Milford is a running 5/8. I understand and his running game hasn't been bad. Not so good either mind you. But for the money he is on and considering the semi-uselessness of Nikorima, Milford has to step up and do a lot more playmaking. I don't think he has the ability. IMO fullback or sayonara for Milford. Gold Coast have a good playmaking halfback and strong forwards. Milford would probably go very well feeding of them. If they could pay out a large % of his contract, I would be happy to see him gone. We could get Elgey to play halfback and Nikorima to be a running 5/8. I know it would seem absurd to swap Elgey for Milford but the money Milford, Bird and Boyd are on could very well screw up the team for another 4 years.

I couldn't care less how well he'd play behind the Titans pack because I'm a Broncos fan. Why would we strengthen the Titans only to weaken ourselves?

R

Reyter

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
I couldn't care less how well he'd play behind the Titans pack because I'm a Broncos fan. Why would we strengthen the Titans only to weaken ourselves?
Did you read the sentences immediately preceding the one you highlighted?

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Did you read the sentences immediately preceding the one you highlighted?

I did and while I heartily agree that he's being paid too much I don't think shuffling him off to the Titans, at a discount, thereby strengthening them is the answer. I absolutely think he can ball play, 2015 to confirm, but he's not a halfback. He's not the cool head that controls the game and orders the forwards around. He's the player that injects himself into the game, takes on the line and uses his running game to set up the players around him. The reality is, we don't have the halves partner that can do this for him so he's expected to do all of it.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013

Is that you ricky ?

Active Now

• Galah
  • winslow_wong
  • broncs30
  • Bish
  • Swordfish
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.