Trial #1 vs. Cowboys Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

NYC Player
Nov 19, 2013
This may have been questioned before but can someone please explain why Kahu is playing fullback and not 5/8th on Saturday night seeing he is supposedly first choice 5/8th - or is he now number 2 behind Strasser already
This is supposed to be a trial where we should be playing players in their proposed positions so Hook can see how the go - if he is playing players out of position already and not giving the combinations time to gel then Lord help us in 4 weeks time

Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

NYC Player
Nov 19, 2013
Yes I am not being negative but just seems a bit strange - and yes Hook will probably switch them around but as coach he does some strange things - most of the time!!!!!!!!!

Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe

QCup Player
Dec 11, 2013
Kahu is originally a fullback but can play 5/8. Strasser is a half. Who's playing out of position? I know what you mean though, we have been told in the media and via 1910 that Kahu has first dibs at 5/8 so it is a shock. I'm quite happy with the decision personally, nothing about Kahu's game last year suggested he would succeed at 5/8 anyway. Not that he wouldn't, I'm happy to see it either way. Personally, these decisions by the coach are exactly the opposite of playing players out of position so I'm not sure why the doom and gloom. I don't think Griffin has ever publicly stated who will get first shot. Who knows, in the second and third trial, it may just go how you want it. Either way, how about a glass half-full approach at this stage of the season? Otherwise it's going to be a long season for you, and possibly for everyone else reading the negativity. The question is all good though. I was confused at first too.

I also have some good advice that Hoffman will be trialled at 6 at some point as well. Parker prop, Thaiday at lock....

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
i dont think its a shock at all. the players on the fringe usually get first crack at impressing, hence strasser starting the game. i imagine kahu will play the second half at 6?

if thats the case, theres no point kahu sitting on the bench for the first half. it would be useful for him to get some time as fullback as a backup for barba. that is, if hoffman is still likely to leave the club (at some point). regardless i think the more time on the field the better for JK

its a trial game ie a glorified training run, the first of the year.

Last edited:
Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Kahu's best position is fullback, which nowadays is really like a second 5/8 offensively. I assume/hope Griffin wants the best of both worlds and will instruct Kahu to show his goods that way...

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
From what I understand, Nikorima is mostly just a support player with limited ball playing, in the James Maloney/Josh Reynolds sort of mold. So regardless of how they line up in defence, I can only assume both of the actual ball playing and creative duties will fall upon Kahu and Strasser anyway, unless one of the forwards somehow shows SBW level of talent.

kingpest

kingpest

QCup Player
Apr 14, 2013
From what I understand, Nikorima is mostly just a support player with limited ball playing, in the James Maloney/Josh Reynolds sort of mold. So regardless of how they line up in defence, I can only assume both of the actual ball playing and creative duties will fall upon Kahu and Strasser anyway, unless one of the forwards somehow shows SBW level of talent.

Oh man what I'd give for us to have our own SBW. We haven't had any damaging runners in our back row for a while now. Glenn was showing promise in 2012 but then went quiet in attack. Gillett goes alright in attack sometimes too I suppose but no one in the same category as sonny or say papaali

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Oh man what I'd give for us to have our own SBW. We haven't had any damaging runners in our back row for a while now. Glenn was showing promise in 2012 but then went quiet in attack. Gillett goes alright in attack sometimes too I suppose but no one in the same category as sonny or say papaali

I keep saying we should chase Taumalolololo!

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I keep saying we should chase Taumalolololo!

I really thought we would go after him last year when he wasn't being played, but apparently not

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
He would have been a great pickup last year when he was out of favour, but didn't he have discipline issues? Or was it simply that he didn't get on the the coach?

Really looking forward to seeing him succeed this year.

Yeah he probably did have discipline issues, I just assumed it was because Neil Henry is Neil Henry lol

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008

Get another quality prop (Kennedy, I'm looking at you), lighten Parker's workload and he is one of the best offloaders in the game.

Our pack should seriously be feared this year if motivational levels are high. We've basically got the Qld State of Origin forward pack running around out there.

Hannant, McGuire, (Kennedy, Hala) Thaiday, Glenn, Parker (Gillett, Stagg/Lowrie/Oates).

A lot of teams do a lot more with a lot less (Manly for instance).

kingpest

kingpest

QCup Player
Apr 14, 2013
Will be an interesting year to say the least. We didn't have any problems getting down the park last year, our metres gained was pretty good but breaking the line was another story. Hopefully with some corvo instilled in these big boppers we can start bending the line more and even break it with the offload to a lightning barba/hoffy. But you're right, our forward pack definitely has potential

Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe

QCup Player
Dec 11, 2013

The most talented Nikorima is still to come.... The younger brother Jayden is a gun

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
We'll romp it in now :takdir:

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I'd like to see how Mills goes in the centres. As many pointed out, it's only a trial but he was picked for the run on side. I hope that that is a sign indicating his training efforts. Like my big buddy says, Mills has talent and may have only needed a change from the Shire. As old WB always had in his teams ,some big hard charging tough nuts are a must. It's the only area I'm worried the Broncos have not covered properly. The addition of Kennedy is helpful but I'm hoping to be surprised by some new faces.

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
I'll be going to the game and seeing the camera man after the game to see if I can get a download of the match onto a USB. If I can get all this done, I'll make a highlight video of the game hopefully next week.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I'd like to see how Mills goes in the centres. As many pointed out, it's only a trial but he was picked for the run on side. I hope that that is a sign indicating his training efforts. Like my big buddy says, Mills has talent and may have only needed a change from the Shire.

I really don't know much about Mills, but from what I've heard from a couple of Sharks fans, he is much more of a centre than a winger (whatever that means).

Guess we won't know how he goes there in this trial, unless they swap or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mightybroncs2k17
  • Griffo
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • Aldo
  • Strop
  • Rowdy124
  • Allo
  • Bronx48
  • Galah
  • Johnny92
  • Battler
  • Jazza
  • KickHaas
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Foordy
  • Organix
  • Ironbroncos
... and 58 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.