Trial #1 vs. Cowboys Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
i understand its only a trial, but how john green gets to wear a broncos jersey is beyond me, surely he is only a stop gap for this trial.... and I would have thought that maranta would be on the outer as well... lets hope jharal gets through with no issues so maranta can be banished.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
i understand its only a trial, but how john green gets to wear a broncos jersey is beyond me, surely he is only a stop gap for this trial.... and I would have thought that maranta would be on the outer as well... lets hope jharal gets through with no issues so maranta can be banished.
I think the fact that he has worked his butt off through the off season helps him deserve a few minutes in a Broncos jersey. That aside I am with you in hoping we don't need him at some stage this season

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
It is part of the deal with clubs, players picked get to do the off-season and one trial game. It is normally the first and then it is taken from there.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I think the fact that he has worked his butt off through the off season helps him deserve a few minutes in a Broncos jersey. That aside I am with you in hoping we don't need him at some stage this season

I'm hoping he plays well and pushes Hannant and McGuire to play a lot better. Sebastien Martins is also a monster so I'm hoping he eventually pushes for a first grade spot. With Corvo training these guys there's absolutely no limit to what these big guys can do.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I'm hoping he plays well and pushes Hannant and McGuire to play a lot better. Sebastien Martins is also a monster so I'm hoping he eventually pushes for a first grade spot. With Corvo training these guys there's absolutely no limit to what these big guys can do.

Exactly, competition for spots is what we want.

I'm always a bit confused by statements like 'I hope he doesn't get a run etc.' because unless they have personally down something to you why would you care? We finally have competition in most spots, so if someone like Jon Green gets a start it's because he is the best available and thats a good think for us. If he doesn't get a start it means the others are better but also know they can't slack off because they have guys gunning for there position. This is a great position to be in and isnt something we have had for a while.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
As far as i know he is not part of our squad so if we get to him then we are in serious trouble.
I would put Hannant, McGuire, Kennedy, Hala and Dodds above him even on their mediocre showing last year so with better fitness Jon Green at best gets a look in at origin time.
Don't know enough about Martins to comment but suspect he is in the same boat as Green

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
As far as i know he is not part of our squad so if we get to him then we are in serious trouble.
I would put Hannant, McGuire, Kennedy, Hala and Dodds above him even on their mediocre showing last year so with better fitness Jon Green at best gets a look in at origin time.
Don't know enough about Martins to comment but suspect he is in the same boat as Green

So if he impressed and warranted a small contract that would be a bad thing?

ozzball

ozzball

QCup Player
Mar 17, 2013
Martins looks like a monster of a bloke with a pretty handy offload ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
It's only highlights, but I like the fact he doesn't slow down to die at the defensive line, has a good offload, and pretty good speed and agility for a guy his size!

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
No not at all but i still think Green is about six in line and he would have to play way above all his previous stints to make the best team. That is why i believe if we get down to using him in first grade then we are in trouble either through injury or we have at least 3 props sadly out of form

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Those first few cuts basically personify 'dominant tackle'. Let's just hope Corvo gives him some mobility!

I don't like the fact that there were a few shots where it cuts to the next scene right before he scores / doesn't score. I'd hate him to end up the new Maranta in terms of bombed tries.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Those first few cuts basically personify 'dominant tackle'. Let's just hope Corvo gives him some mobility!

I don't like the fact that there were a few shots where it cuts to the next scene right before he scores / doesn't score. I'd hate him to end up the new Maranta in terms of bombed tries.
I'm not too worried about that, scoring tries will not be his primary job, unlike Maranta's...

ozzball

ozzball

QCup Player
Mar 17, 2013
I'm not too worried about that, scoring tries will not be his primary job, unlike Maranta's...
That's exactly right ... Allez Sebastien !!, just keep carting it up and bustin' the line ...

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Meanwhile at Red Hill, Maranta is talking to the web guys about changing his profile to read:

Lachlan Maranta - Prop

Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe

QCup Player
Dec 11, 2013
Meanwhile at Red Hill, Maranta is talking to the web guys about changing his profile to read: Lachlan Maranta - Prop

Speaking of Maranta, some on here will be pleased to know he has been ruled out of this weeks trial with a hamstring injury. Vidot will start.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I can understand people not wanting Maranta in the side for 2014, but liking that his injured is going a bit far.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
@GCBRONCO, don;t jump to conclusions, I don't like that anyone is injured. I know how it feels.

I just like that when I go to the trial on Saturday night, I don't have to be frustrated by watching him. I think that is fair enough, don't you?

Not having a dig at you, I probably should have worded it better but I didn't think you were necessarily implying that your happy he got injured.

Mate come round 1 I don't want him there and unless he shows huge improvement not in the long term, but he is in the squad and trials are there for all players available to be apart of them, even the one's you don't necessarily rate, you need to see how all players are travelling.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I dislike McCullough, but I'm still hoping I turn out to be wrong and he smashes it.

Same with Maranta (though I actually do like him, because I kinda feel sorry for him).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• theshed
  • broncsgoat
  • Justwin
  • FACTHUNT
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.