PLAYER Billy Walters

What role should Billy Walters play?

• Total voters
When and where will this get the chance to happen?
Steve Martin Idk GIF

Yep Smoothy did that one nice pass somewhere in that one play that something happened, definitely better than Walters and Paix because of that.

Pretty much, I watched the game and Smoothy didn't do anything other than pass it to the first receiver who was the halfback. If that's his shining moment, that will do me.

Pretty much, I watched the game and Smoothy didn't do anything other than pass it to the first receiver who was the halfback. If that's his shining moment, that will do me.
His defence was solid, but I was disappointed he didn't pick it up, run and march the team forward. For me, that's what he does best. Different coach this match, maybe he was following orders.

Smoothy: 21 tackles, 0 missed, 0 errors, 1 kick 79 metres
Paix: 18 tackles, 2 missed, 2 handling errors, 1 kick ? metres
Walters: 15 tackles, 3 missed, 0 errors, 0 kicks

It’s taken a year but I’ve finally figured out why there is such differing opinions on hooker.

Smoothy didn’t do anything that would make a highlight reel, he’s a hooker that’s not what they’re meant to do. A good hooker is someone who defends well and puts the ball where his playmakers and forwards need it - which Smoothy seemingly does the best of the 3 options.

If you’re watching the hookers waiting for some incredible line break or trick play then you’re missing the point. Go google Cam Smith highlights and tell me how many seconds into it your eyelids get heavy.

Walters, and admittedly Paix, breakdown the play by overplaying their hand constantly. Billy almost threw an intercept that was never on, he comes on and tries to create but never really achieves anything except disrupting the set or not giving the ball to the halfback.

We have a team stacked to the brim with X factor and have one of the games best organisers at 7 - just give them good service and stay out of the way. This is what Smoothy does best imo. Your spine has Adam Reynolds, Ezra Mam, and Walsh in it, apart from the occasional scoot you shouldn’t be doing anything but creating space for these guys.

The last thing we need with the team we have is Billy Walters running on sand to make a half break on the 4th.

So I do agree that Billy looks the most creative of the 3 (looks, I actually think Smoothy is quite subtle and has a lot of creativity but that’s a different argument). But I don’t agree that what the team needs is for the first person getting their hands on the ball to be a guy of Walters ability trying to come up with a big play.

For what it’s worth, Denan Kemp has fairly strongly suggested Smoothy would be his first pick.

It’s taken a year but I’ve finally figured out why there is such differing opinions on hooker.

Smoothy didn’t do anything that would make a highlight reel, he’s a hooker that’s not what they’re meant to do. A good hooker is someone who defends well and puts the ball where his playmakers and forwards need it - which Smoothy seemingly does the best of the 3 options.

If you’re watching the hookers waiting for some incredible line break or trick play then you’re missing the point. Go google Cam Smith highlights and tell me how many seconds into it your eyelids get heavy.

Walters, and admittedly Paix, breakdown the play by overplaying their hand constantly. Billy almost threw an intercept that was never on, he comes on and tries to create but never really achieves anything except disrupting the set or not giving the ball to the halfback.

We have a team stacked to the brim with X factor and have one of the games best organisers at 7 - just give them good service and stay out of the way. This is what Smoothy does best imo. Your spine has Adam Reynolds, Ezra Mam, and Walsh in it, apart from the occasional scoot you shouldn’t be doing anything but creating space for these guys.

The last thing we need with the team we have is Billy Walters running on sand to make a half break on the 4th.

So I do agree that Billy looks the most creative of the 3 (looks, I actually think Smoothy is quite subtle and has a lot of creativity but that’s a different argument). But I don’t agree that what the team needs is for the first person getting their hands on the ball to be a guy of Walters ability trying to come up with a big play.

For what it’s worth, Denan Kemp has fairly strongly suggested Smoothy would be his first pick.

All you want is someone who can identify a quick play the ball and then take advantage by running at them and then really establishing some momentum through the ruck, that's been the blueprint to winning the middle since the inception of Rugby League. You spoke about creating space, you create space by winning the middle.

Decent service is a non-negotiable and I don't think you can say Billy doesn't give good service. They all do but it's what else can these 3 bring to the team, it's in the opinion of Kevvie (and a few others like Greg Alexander) that Billy is the best fit we have for that position.

I do find it slightly amusing that you're prepared to settle for good service though, given all of the crap I and many others have had to endure about why Billy is barely a first grader, he definitely gives that and a bit more. Seems like you've shifted the posts a bit there after Paix's below par performance.

WTF is up with Billy running from dummy half making a half break but never linking up ?
Frustrates the shit outa me . Every game he beats the markers then dies with the ball .

I really hoped the #1 or #13 would practice following him when he runs . But apparently not .

WTF is up with Billy running from dummy half making a half break but never linking up ?
Frustrates the shit outa me . Every game he beats the markers then dies with the ball .

I really hoped the #1 or #13 would practice following him when he runs . But apparently not .
Walsh and paix had a nice little one two with dummy half runs early against the tits helped walsh found his front early and got a qptb

His defence was solid, but I was disappointed he didn't pick it up, run and march the team forward. For me, that's what he does best. Different coach this match, maybe he was following orders.

Smoothy: 21 tackles, 0 missed, 0 errors, 1 kick 79 metres

Paix: 18 tackles, 2 missed, 2 handling errors, 1 kick ? metres

Walters: 15 tackles, 3 missed, 0 errors, 0 kicks

Billy is absolutely shit and I wouldn't have his name in the 1st team list of the year.

Just out of curiosity, how much worth would you put in that opinion?

Also the biggest takeaway from this game was Smoothy was out on his feet after less than half a game. What exactly do you guys think is going to happen when he plays against a first grade team without quarters?

Kevin Walters your a fucking joke there's no way in hell Billy Walters adds anything to this side and Billy wouldn't make it in the top 17 I'm any other club in the NRL. Seriously your dads the coach the only reason your playing in the NRL. He isn't even a dummyhalf his fucking Dad made him one just so he can see time in the NRL. **** Billy back off to the Q Cup where he belongs.

Kevin Walters your a fucking joke there's no way in hell Billy Walters adds anything to this side and Billy wouldn't make it in the top 17 I'm any other club in the NRL. Seriously your dads the coach the only reason your playing in the NRL. He isn't even a dummyhalf his fucking Dad made him one just so he can see time in the NRL. **** Billy back off to the Q Cup where he belongs.
You sound like me after a dozen beers!

Didn't Walters only last 10 minutes in his opening stint? Whereas Smoothy only came off for a small stint and had to back-up in the backrow?
Yes, that's when I gave up caring. We were all over the shop.

Unread

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.