VOTE What hurt worse; 2015 GF or the spoon?

Which hurt more?

• 2015 GF

Votes: 71 78.9%
  • 2020 season

Votes: 19 21.1%

• Total voters
2015 GF really sucked.

spoon in covid year? meh. Whoever wins this year gets an * next to them.

That's the part that hurts about the GF. The fact we were there, winning, about to get another trophy for the case and we shat the bed. This year we were never in the hunt, and like so many have said if not for 2 individual efforts we might have finished with only 1 win. There always has to be a loser in a GF and I wish like hell it wasn't us.
Yea i see your point, i just find it a lot easier to get behind a team that's in the race, than a team that doesn't show up all year.

When Thurston was lining up to for that shot, I actually wanted him to spontaneously combust..

Definitely GF loss.......that hurt, deeply.

I spat on the cat and kicked the dog that often during the month after that loss.....they started to attack me first, with strategic pre-emptive strikes.

Really? Still with the out of context 'it's just a game'? Give the DB bashing a fucking rest. You're just being a bit hard here. No, not because I'm cranky but it's time you moved on. You know damn well what DB was referring too when that quote was put out there.

Yes, really. And I situated "it's just a game" within a specific and well defined context, to establish a point best put by saying, as reflected in the feelings of most of us posting here, that's it's a bloody hell of a lot more than "just a game". Just read this thread and gauge the depth of feeling. In short, it's never "just a game" in any context, and as for moving on, there is no further movement possible from relevance and the truth.

Last edited:
Yes, really. And I situated "it's just a game" within a specific and well defined context, to establish a point best put by saying, as reflected in the feelings of most of us posting here, that's it's a bloody hell of a lot more than "just a game". Just read this thread and gauge the depth of feeling. In short, it's never "just a game" in any context, and as for moving on, there is no further movement possible from relevance and the truth.
When the other option is wanting to kill yourself because of the pressure of the sport then believing it’s “just a game” and there’s more to life than playing footy for a decade of that life then it’s absolutely the best opinion for someone like Boyd to have.

When the other option is wanting to kill yourself because of the pressure of the sport then believing it’s “just a game” and there’s more to life than playing footy for a decade of that life then it’s absolutely the best opinion for someone like Boyd to have.

Yes, I agree with that. That is personal for Boyd. However the issue for mine is that it is precisely because the game is not just a game that Boyd felt that way.

Conversely, if it was just a game, like backyard footie, he wouldn't have felt that way and as well, extrapolating a view based on personal experience is not sufficient to characterise what NRL is and stands for.

Yes, I agree with that. That is personal for Boyd. However the issue for mine is that it is precisely because the game is not just a game that Boyd felt that way.

Conversely, if it was just a game, like backyard footie, he wouldn't have felt that way and as well, extrapolating a view based on personal experience is not sufficient to characterise what NRL is and stands for.
Which is entirely why the context of the quote needs to be actually taken into account. He was speaking about the vitriol he cops from fans, saying he doesn’t let it get to him and when it comes to his mental health it is just a game. There’s literally no other way to twist it. And as far as his commitments to that game, especially more recently, from what we know he’s been nothing but a professional. And if you can prove otherwise please do so, otherwise **** off with the out of context bullshit

GF loss for sure. That still hurts. I can't even rewatch games from that year. Who gives a toss that we got the spoon, 2-16 result is the same, you didn't win the big prize, doesn't really matter where you finish after that.

I couldn't tell you who won the spoon in 2015 (or any season really, I know other clubs have won it, just couldn't tell you specific years) but I could tell you who won the GF.

I’d accept a decade of spoons to have won either 2001 or 2009. Spoons are a laugh after the next season starts. Failing at final hurdle is lifelong pain.
Yep. Must hurt even more knowing how far Storm was over the cap in 2009. I mean, we suffer deep pain about the 2008 semi final...but losing in the GF.
Do Parra fans hate the Storm more than Broncos fans do? Because they absolutely should.

Yep. Must hurt even more knowing how far Storm was over the cap in 2009. I mean, we suffer deep pain about the 2008 semi final...but losing in the GF.
Do Parra fans hate the Storm more than Broncos fans do? Because they absolutely should.
I guess on the surface I could accept their pain was worse. Getting all the way to the big dance and getting beaten by a team that was cheating would cut very deep indeed. Personally though I always felt that Parramatta were just the last team to be cheated by the Storm that year. Every other team was cheated too and had the finals draw fallen differently it could have been us who got robbed in that Grand Final but I'd still feel we had no right to feel any more robbed of a Premiership than any other club in that finals series.

Last edited:
Im just glad for your sake that Cory Oates didn’t stay on his wing and cost us the spoon.
It's... I don't know what the word is, but 6 fucking years and he still doesn't know how to defend on the wing. I'm absolutely off him as a player now, maybe Walters can teach the dumb **** how to defend but I doubt it.

For me the way we lost the GF really compounds the pain and added to that is the way we bowed out in 16. We'd defended our line and forced the turn over which would have seen us play the last set out for the win. But a supposed "gillet trip" gives the cows a penalty and they take it to extra time from memory? Either way losing the 2015 gf in a over time thriller THEN losing 2016 semi final to the same team in extra time just broke me.

Ever since that game I've always said if anyone in this team has any pride it will be their absolute mission everytime we play the cows to make their lives a living hell for brutally ending our season two years running.

Also i believe jimmy the jet was red hot for us in 16 and got suspended for cowboys semi final. I Remember saying at the time Roberts is worth about 6 points a game and sure enough that was the losing margin.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • broncoscope
  • Xzei
  • Lurker
  • BroncsNBundy
  • marw
  • Fatboy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.