Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
A general question but when as a club, in people's opinion did we become reactive rather than proactive?
The moment we listened to the dills in the media about the best young pack in the competition & decided to sign them all up on big coin for fear of another article of the Broncos letting another one slip through from under their noses.

Fast forward and we now have an inexperienced pack, with dud or inexperienced spine players and a rookie coach.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
December 2018.

Reading between the lines, but the Broncos wanted Bennett gone and thought as soon as he returned from England he'd make way and both club's would go on with their lives. However, Bennett didn't make it easy on them so they had to leak info to the CM to get him ousted and put Seibs in. When the results didn't come, the Broncos started tearing up contracts left right and centre until they had a roster made up of QCup players. Each signing screamed desperation, like they were taking fan suggestions and trying to build a squad around it. Sign this unwanted half, he's surely better than Turpin, sign this Fijian who has YouTube highlights, sign this QCup player who has decent stats.

They were just superficial changes that didn't address the heart of the matter and the issues plaguing the team.

Under Seibold the Broncos have become an ill-disciplined soft embarrassment of a football team and if it wasn't for a few individual players busting their asses week in week out he wouldn't have one positive to point to. He's brought in a bunch of young players, blooded them, but he hasn't made them into first graders. They're first graders in name only and some of them are being pushed into the big time with absolutely no safety net. It's a joke and I cannot believe how irresponsible the staff has been.

Sad story.

What interests me is why this happened, especially since consequences depend on antecedents, such a one town club, and the real effects of having that club essentially built around 1 coach for so many years, and where every alternative to him has failed.

The Strapper

The Strapper

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 21, 2015
Sad story.

What interests me is why this happened, especially since consequences depend on antecedents, such a one town club, and the real effects of having that club essentially built around 1 coach for so many years, and where every alternative to him has failed.
That is correct except they were so blinded by antipathy towards him (for reasons I don't comprehend) that they never tried the alternative to him that was recommended - Jason Demetriou, so we will never know.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
That is correct except they were so blinded by antipathy towards him (for reasons I don't comprehend) that they never tried the alternative to him that was recommended - Jason Demetriou, so we will never know.

Possibly because JD and Bennett had some kind of symbiotic relationship, like not one without the other?

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
I wonder if we could persuade Souths to take on TPJ and get Arrow in return?

TPJ gets to reunite with Bennett and we buy back a bit of the farm in a hard working no nonsense forward that we need in Arrow, and did i read that his reason for needing to go to Sydney is no longer a reason?

Last edited:
Skyblues87

Skyblues87

QCup Player
Feb 9, 2017
I wonder if we could persuade Souths to take on TPJ and get Arrow in return?

TPJ gets to reunite with Bennett and we buy back a bit of the farm in a hard working no nonsense forward that we need in Arrow, and did i read that his reason for needing to go to Sydney is no longer a reason?
Never quite understood why they went for Arrow when Cam Murray excels in the same position

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
You know, I've woken up this morning feeling optimistic for next year but with a caveat.

This side has shown it can more than compete for about 40 minutes. It is clear their natural talent is getting them that far but where they fall apart is fatigue and that is on two things: strength and conditioning and bench management.

They are nowhere near good enough to challenge for a premiership, especially losing Fifita and TPJ but they are not as far away as it looks on the surface.

Get in the right coaches (not just replacing Seibold but the entire coaching staff, every single one of them) and the right players, this side suddenly has its gaps filled. Then, save the cash for when that big needed fish becomes available, whether it be Grant, B.Smith or RTS, etc.

If we could somehow manufacture a TPJ to Souths for Arrow trade, that would be a MASSIVE step in the right direction.

Suddenly, next season this side runs out (sans the big fish who at present isn't available):

1. Drinkwater
2. Farnworth
3. Bird
4. Opacic
5. Coates
6. Staggs
7. Dearden
8. Carrigan
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Glenn
12. Haas
13. Arrow

14. Paix
15. Wallace/Welch
16. Flegler
17. Oates

That side is more than competitive without being a contender but that will come when Grant / whoever is landed.

Last edited:
T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
Would anyone be opposed to getting Josh McGuire and Adam Blair back? They were once our forward leaders and we've missed having someone with their presence in our team pretty significantly.

Blair is not wanted by the Warriors, so if he could join us for even a year, he would teach our guys a lot. Blair often cops criticism due to his lack of running metres, but with Carrigan, Flegler and Haas, we don't really need that from him. All we need is experience, leadership and defensive know-how, which he brings a tonne of.

Same goes for McGuire. Plus he has that bit of mongrel and tenacity that the young guys would react to and follow. With Kevin Walters likely to be our new coach, I'm sure he would like to play under the current origin coach full time.
I'd like Blair around just for depth and the attitude he brings. Not every player we sign needs to be a 1st grade superstar but Blair is a great trainer and brings a great attitude (provided he is cheap).

BrentTatesChin

BrentTatesChin

QCup Player
Jul 30, 2016
You know, I've woken up this morning feeling optimistic for next year but with a caveat.

This side has shown it can more than compete for about 40 minutes. It is clear their natural talent is getting them that far but where they fall apart is fatigue and that is on two things: strength and conditioning and bench management.

They are nowhere near good enough to challenge for a premiership, especially losing Fifita and TPJ but they are not as far away as it looks on the surface.

Get in the right coaches (not just replacing Seibold but the entire coaching staff, every single one of them) and the right players, this side suddenly has its gaps filled. Then, save the cash for when that big needed fish becomes available, whether it be Grant, B.Smith or RTS, etc.

If we could somehow manufacture a TPJ to Souths for Arrow trade, that would be a MASSIVE step in the right direction.

Suddenly, next season this side runs out (sans the big fish who at present isn't available):

1. Drinkwater
2. Farnworth
3. Bird
4. Opacic
5. Coates
6. Staggs
7. Dearden
8. Carrigan
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Glenn
12. Haas
13. Arrow

14. Paix
15. Wallace/Welch
16. Riki
17. Oates

That side is more than competitive without being a contender but that will come when Grant / whoever is landed.

Lol where tf did you get Drinkwater from? Also Carrigan and Flegler just got stuck in traffic?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Lol where tf did you get Drinkwater from? Also Carrigan and Flegler just got stuck in traffic?

Well Flegler did. Drinkwater is off contract and if you look closely, you will see Carrigan.

Volvo Driver

Volvo Driver

QCup Player
Jul 9, 2020

Wishful thinking. Without throwing money at them, why on earth would they go for that? Arrow is one of the best forwards going around.

We have a better chance snagging Cam Smith. Like Ikin said, we have to go HARD for him. We need a true leader on the field. Imagine getting read the riot act behind the posts by Smith? Or in the sheds at half time? You don't think the players would lift?

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
Wait there has been talk of Flanagan as coach?
This would be the nail in the coffin for me.
Come on! With Flanagan as coach and proctor as lock the opportunities open up. The Mongols bikies could handle security and on the plus side Turpin might finally get a decent hair cut. Theres probably a few sponsorship opportunities with some enterprising Columbian bussiness's and we might even get K hunt out of retirement for it!

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Wishful thinking. Without throwing money at them, why on earth would they go for that? Arrow is one of the best forwards going around.

We have a better chance snagging Cam Smith. Like Ikin said, we have to go HARD for him. We need a true leader on the field. Imagine getting read the riot act behind the posts by Smith? Or in the sheds at half time? You don't think the players would lift?

Oh of course but I just don't see Smith leaving Melbourne, particularly in his likely final season. He would want to go out with a GF, not a season of humiliation.

The True King

The True King

NRL Player
Apr 6, 2018
Suss out Nikora.

If the sharks are committed to keeping him then make an offer for Talakai.

Given they need a middle as Fifita is looking finished maybe we could sweeten the deal with Jo Ofa.

Last edited:
Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013

Because Arrow left the Titans to help his partners modelling career, not because he wanted to leave Qld. My understanding is they are no longer a couple so his one main reason for leaving the area he is no longer valid. TPJ has an existing relationship with Bennett and from all accounts it was a strong one. Souths already have a lock forward who is arguably a better fit for them than Arrow, who's best position is also lock forward. Souths could use a wide running backrower more than a middle forward so TPJ could be a better fit. Arrow has a history at the Broncos.

Sure its not likely but its hardly the craziest transaction that has happened in the NRL and, imo, more likely than snagging RTS, Cameron Smith or Harry Grant who are also mentioned as possible recruits.

If we were ruthless we would have a voice in the ear of Arrow's manager asking how keen is he still to move to Sydney and a voice in a rep of the Bunnies asking how keen are they to do a deal on TPJ. Alas, i don't think we are ruthless enough as a club anymore...

Last edited:

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Broncorob
  • Gaz
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.