Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
Arrow would be great for us but right now it would be hard to convince anyone without a bucket load of cash.

The Strapper

The Strapper

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 21, 2015
Possibly because JD and Bennett had some kind of symbiotic relationship, like not one without the other?
The club could have let Bennett see out his contract for 2019 and then appointed Demetrio for 2020.
Bennett wouldn't have had a problem with this and he would have facilitated a seamless transition to Demetrio instead of the shitstorm we ended up getting.
I'm not sure how the club would have performed but it sure as hell wouldn't have turned into the trainwreck it has now.

Dazza 92

Dazza 92

NRL Captain
Oct 13, 2014
Come on! With Flanagan as coach and proctor as lock the opportunities open up. The Mongols bikies could handle security and on the plus side Turpin might finally get a decent hair cut. Theres probably a few sponsorship opportunities with some enterprising Columbian bussiness's and we might even get K hunt out of retirement for it!

yeh...i bet this is the first and last time the Mongols get involved with the Broncos..

We are giving their fine organisation a bad name right now...something they can do without...

Last edited:
Dazza 92

Dazza 92

NRL Captain
Oct 13, 2014
Because Arrow left the Titans to help his partners modelling career, not because he wanted to leave Qld. My understanding is they are no longer a couple so his one main reason for leaving the area he is no longer valid. TPJ has an existing relationship with Bennett and from all accounts it was a strong one. Souths already have a lock forward who is arguably a better fit for them than Arrow, who's best position is also lock forward. Souths could use a wide running backrower more than a middle forward so TPJ could be a better fit. Arrow has a history at the Broncos.

Sure its not likely but its hardly the craziest transaction that has happened in the NRL and, imo, more likely than snagging RTS, Cameron Smith or Harry Grant who are also mentioned as possible recruits.

If we were ruthless we would have a voice in the ear of Arrow's manager asking how keen is he still to move to Sydney and a voice in a rep of the Bunnies asking how keen are they to do a deal on TPJ. Alas, i don't think we are ruthless enough as a club anymore...

maybe the Titans are back in his ear...?

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
The club could have let Bennett see out his contract for 2019 and then appointed Demetrio for 2020.
Bennett wouldn't have had a problem with this and he would have facilitated a seamless transition to Demetrio instead of the shitstorm we ended up getting.
I'm not sure how the club would have performed but it sure as hell wouldn't have turned into the trainwreck it has now.
Could have. But personal decisions made by the board ruined that. Very unprofessional to create drama like this in the first place, let alone allowing it to become this mess. White should never work in a similar job ever again

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
The club did it shit and umprofessionally but let's not bs ourselves with what-ifs and bend reality. If you can point out a SEAMLESS transition Bennett has been involved in in the past I'd love to know about. Demetriou seems good but I can also understand the clubs apprehension about Bennett's coaching recommendations as well, given I believe he also recommended Steve price and Ivan henjak.

Seibold is the wrong choice but I STILL think the club needed to part ways with Bennett. Seibold was the flavour of the month given the way souffa turned around their performances so they went hard for him after missing out on bellamy. Their biggest mistake, by a long, long margin, was not going al out to get bellamy. They should have got Murdoch on the phone and threw in an extra few million in my eyes. **** the off field cap, lauchlan Murdoch has 100x the money the NRL could ever hope for so why, he supposedly loves the Broncos. Look at how souffs have slowly gone backwards Bennett is far better then seibold but he certainly is not at Robinson or bellamy level now and that's what the Broncos should be striving for. The gamble didn't pay off, that's all

Last edited:
B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
I’m late on hearing the news that Seibold has hired lawyers who have hired cyber security experts to try and identify rumour making internet trolls.

Seibold really has lost the plot if he is this concerned about Internet trolls. Yikes, how embarrassing. If he is this weak mentally he’s got to be axed ASAP. Not the man to be in the Broncos hot chair.

Blindside Bronco

Blindside Bronco

Broncos Fanboy
Oct 17, 2019
We need a better captain. But who?..... maybe we have a rotation like U12's .

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
They can deny it as much as they like now, but we are in rebuild phase. We need at least one workmanlike prop. We need a half, we need a center and a fullback for next year.
They are quite correct to deny we are in a rebuild phase. You need all the right pieces to be in place in order to rebuild. We simply haven’t done that yet and more importantly we don't seem to have anyone interested or competent enough to start that process.

We are actually in the phase before rebuild - dismantle. With White, Fifita, TPJ leaving, possibly Seibold and with the top end of town clearly hiding behind closed doors there is a bit of territory to cover before we can declare we are rebuilding.

If Wayne Bennett had taken up an executive position he would be all over this. Sadly it appears we have no one.

Last edited:
lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Because Arrow left the Titans to help his partners modelling career, not because he wanted to leave Qld. My understanding is they are no longer a couple so his one main reason for leaving the area he is no longer valid. TPJ has an existing relationship with Bennett and from all accounts it was a strong one. Souths already have a lock forward who is arguably a better fit for them than Arrow, who's best position is also lock forward. Souths could use a wide running backrower more than a middle forward so TPJ could be a better fit. Arrow has a history at the Broncos.

Sure its not likely but its hardly the craziest transaction that has happened in the NRL and, imo, more likely than snagging RTS, Cameron Smith or Harry Grant who are also mentioned as possible recruits.

If we were ruthless we would have a voice in the ear of Arrow's manager asking how keen is he still to move to Sydney and a voice in a rep of the Bunnies asking how keen are they to do a deal on TPJ. Alas, i don't think we are ruthless enough as a club anymore...
why would souths bother when it appears that we are determined to sack TPJ, why not just sit back and then pick him up as a free agent at a reduced sign on cost? That would be the smart play.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
why would souths bother when it appears that we are determined to sack TPJ, why not just sit back and then pick him up as a free agent at a reduced sign on cost? That would be the smart play.
It would only happen if we could talk Arrow into having 2nd thoughts, in that case Souths might want a quick deal to happen and not have months of media speculation on Arrow getting cold feet. TPJ is not going to play for minimum wage, hence his legal inquiries, Souths might only have 2-300k spare and need to offload a player in which to pay TPJ the 400k he is willing to move for. It's just speculation and scenarios.

Look, i don't think it will happen, just saying it's the kind of thing a club who is proactive rather than reactive could pursue.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

I totally agree with the theory. It's the practice that has problems, to which both Knights and Dragons will attest.

I also just read that Bennett is now being linked to the Dragons to mentor Dean Young. The old man sure gets around.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
You know what, Arrow to Brissy might grow legs. Think about it, The Fox will want to go to Souths, Souths need money and they don't need a lock. Now to get TPJ as well, do a swap deal with Brisbane.

Souths:
Out - Arrow, Johnston
In: TPJ, Addo-Carr

Broncos:
Out - TPJ
In: Arrow

Melbourne:
Out - Addo-Carr
In: Johnston

Roosters:
Out - Lam
In: Bromwich, Cleary, Grant, SBW, RTS, Bird, Cook and Kikau

Last edited:
Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
I've jumped on the train, jump on with me.
Which train you ask? The Wane Train.

Shaun Wane, England Head coach, former Wigan head coach with a winning percentage the same as Bellamy.
England won't be playing international Rugby League this year, possibly not next either, and he wants to coach in the NRL.

"The players get what I'm about, I want them to be really really good people off the field, respectful, and I want them to be nasty animals on the field, I want them to change and to me that's a proper Wigan player"

Imagine that mentality with the talent we have in Brisbane.

Get him in here, he is a proven winner that has a passion for winning and will do so at all costs, losing is not an option for this man.

I couldn't disagree with you more before these videos, now i couldn't agree more

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
The more I think about it reasonably, the more I think we shouldn’t rush into massive wholesale changes. We have enough talent to finish in the 7-10 position next year in most positions. Now of course if we can afford a Harry Grant, Cam Smith, actual marque half or fullback etc we should move on it but at the moment there isn’t much on the open market.

What we need to do is sign a couple of experienced forwards that will help stop the leaks and set a good platform for our halves. We desperately need a coach who can simplify our defence and stop us leaking points.

Now we have a lot of bad contracts on our books and players that should be looked at moving on when their contracts are up but even if the worse case scenario arises and none of our over paid players are moved on next season, there’s no reason a decent coach doesn’t have us sitting mid table with a couple of smart forward signings. If we get a lesser curse run with injury, there is still a lot of talent in this line up. With Boyd, Kahu, Fifita, and TPJ almost defiantly all moving on, and flicking Luke and Teo, we should have at least 1.5m to spend on a top shelf second row and an experienced bench prop.

1. Bird
2. Kennar
3. Farnworth
4. Staggs
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn
12. ?? (reliable big name)
13. Carrigan

14. Paix/Macca
15. Oates
16. Flegler
17. ??? reliable experienced prop

At the the end of 2021 we look at who is around to replace Bird at fullback, Milford at 5/8, Oates and Glenn in the second row, and Turpin and pay in at hooker. Depending on form and contract negotiations some of them may earn new contracts, some can be replaced by good off contract options like RTS, Grant, etc

Sack Seibs for literally anyone, and drop some coin finding the best possible defensive coach.

Last edited:
Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
The club did it shit and umprofessionally but let's not bs ourselves with what-ifs and bend reality. If you can point out a SEAMLESS transition Bennett has been involved in in the past I'd love to know about. Demetriou seems good but I can also understand the clubs apprehension about Bennett's coaching recommendations as well, given I believe he also recommended Steve price and Ivan henjak.

Seibold is the wrong choice but I STILL think the club needed to part ways with Bennett. Seibold was the flavour of the month given the way souffa turned around their performances so they went hard for him after missing out on bellamy. Their biggest mistake, by a long, long margin, was not going al out to get bellamy. They should have got Murdoch on the phone and threw in an extra few million in my eyes. **** the off field cap, lauchlan Murdoch has 100x the money the NRL could ever hope for so why, he supposedly loves the Broncos. Look at how souffs have slowly gone backwards Bennett is far better then seibold but he certainly is not at Robinson or bellamy level now and that's what the Broncos should be striving for. The gamble didn't pay off, that's all
Yep, this 110%.

Failing to secure Bellamy is Paul White's legacy to this place.

People can carry on about Bellamy only 'using us' to get a better deal out of Melbourne, but honestly, he should have left his meeting with Brisbane under absolutely no misunderstanding that if he wanted the absolute top dollar then that would always be in Brisbane no matter what Melbourne came up with.

I'm reminded of a Game of Thrones quote and it makes me sad because if we'd sent Tyrion Lannister to Melbourne to negotiate instead of White and Lockyer, Craig Bellamy would probably be coaching the Broncos today:

1c9okoeo7dt21

Active Now

• Allo
  • Fozz
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.