Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
I dont think Bird will be here next year. Earlier in the season Dragons werent willing to pay past 600-700 for him, i think now they would probably be talking with him around 500-550 with us trying to kick in the rest.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I dont think Bird will be here next year. Earlier in the season Dragons werent willing to pay past 600-700 for him, i think now they would probably be talking with him around 500-550 with us trying to kick in the rest.
I’m all for moving Bird on early if we have a strong signing lined up but unfortunately he has now become probably the best player in our team.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Yep, this 110%.

Failing to secure Bellamy is Paul White's legacy to this place.

People can carry on about Bellamy only 'using us' to get a better deal out of Melbourne, but honestly, he should have left his meeting with Brisbane under absolutely no misunderstanding that if he wanted the absolute top dollar then that would always be in Brisbane no matter what Melbourne came up with.

I'm reminded of a Game of Thrones quote and it makes me sad because if we'd sent Tyrion Lannister to Melbourne to negotiate instead of White and Lockyer, Craig Bellamy would probably be coaching the Broncos today:

View attachment 9468

Jerry Ryan, Tripp and Bart Campbell are hardly looking in the ashtray for change.

Last edited:
theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Jordan McLean has player options in his favour for the next 2 seasons? Wouldn’t be a bad pick up but from memory the cowboys paid out the ass for him.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Jordan McLean has player options in his favour for the next 2 seasons? Wouldn’t be a bad pick up but from memory the cowboys paid out the ass for him.
They should let us trial Jordan for a year. Like the other Jordan they trialled and refunded under the defective product policy.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
Jerry Ryan, Tripp and Bart Campbell are hardly looking in the ashtray for change.
I fully appreciate that, but relative to News Ltd? We turn over 50+ million dollars a year. Do Melbourne turn over even half of that?

There is literally no possible financial reason for us to not have been the top bidder.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I fully appreciate that, but relative to News Ltd? We turn over 50+ million dollars a year. Do Melbourne turn over even half of that?

There is literally no possible financial reason for us to not have been the top bidder.

the three owners of the Storm are worth close to $1 billion between them.

Last edited:
Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
the three owners of the Storm are worth close to $1 billion between them.
You are aware of who News Ltd are aren't you?

Even conservatively taking just their base share value that would still place them at more than 10 times the value of the Storm owners.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

Even conservatively taking just their base share value that would still place them at more than 10 times the value of the Storm owners.

my point is unless we planned on paying Bellamy 10's of millions of dollars a year, there is nothing to stop the Storm's owners being able to compete with us.

besides we reportedly offered more than the Storm anyway, he turned us down.

FTR, the recent report has Bellamy as the highest paid coach by a fair margin (and since we reportedly offered more, it gives you some idea how much we wanted him)

Last edited:
Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
my point is unless we planned on paying Bellamy 10's of millions of dollars a year, there is nothing to stop the Storm's owners being able to compete with us.

FTR, the recent report has Bellamy as the highest paid coach by a fair margin (and since we reportedly offered more, it gives you some idea how much we wanted him)

Where was it written we offered more?

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I can't even bring myself to speculate on the squads future anymore. This season has just been so damaging to the brand and the clubs profile that no player worth a pinch of shit will want to come here. Our garbage roster/cap management is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017

I’m not certain, but I suspect you’ve got that wrong. I believe we topped their offer only for him to go back to Melbourne and have them come in with an 11th hour offer to beat ours.

I guess it could have gone on and escalated forever, but honestly, Bellamy needed to know in no uncertain terms that whatever Melbourne tabled, we’d comfortably beat it. He’s worth it and we shouldn’t have blinked even if it was twice what Melbourne ended up paying.

He might have taken less to stay in Melbourne all along, but it should have cost him something more like ‘1 x 5 bedroom house in Paddington PER ANNUM’ less if he wanted to stay loyal to the Storm. He’s human after all, and that’s the sort of money just about anyone would have to take notice of.

Melbourne may well have the highest paid Coach in the game by some margin, but he’s also the best in the business and they’re also coming Top 2, so I think they could sleep very well at night knowing that was money extremely well spent. It certainly hasn’t financially ruined them, so given how much more we turn over by comparison, it’s likely we’d have barely even noticed it on the balance sheet by comparison.

Tell me, what was the last thing the Broncos splurged on that we could say was money that was equally well spent?

Last edited:
Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
I can't even bring myself to speculate on the squads future anymore. This season has just been so damaging to the brand and the clubs profile that no player worth a pinch of shit will want to come here. Our garbage roster/cap management is a self fulfilling prophecy.
This is so true. I shudder to think what’s been wiped off our value as a brand overall that will likely never be recovered now.

In the cold light of day i genuinely feel we’re not really a really special club anymore and probably never will be again.

Last edited:
vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
This is how clubs become perennial cellar dwellers.

Check out how the Roosters responded to coming 15th:

2013 1st Premiers
2014 1st Prelim Final
2015 1st Prelim Final
2016 15th
2017 2nd Prelim Final
2018 1st Premiers
2019 2nd Premiers

Last edited:

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

You can have a trillion dollars but if you're expectation for your football team is they pay for it- doesn't matter does it.

A lot for a coach is million- which both clubs have for a coach.

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Justwin
  • Galah
  • Mister Wright
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.