Who should be our coach in 2014?

Who should coach the Brisbane Broncos in 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am not a Griffin fan at all and have been flamed for suggesting he is not up to NRL standard. How you can be starting a season without a 5/8 is ridiculously bad planning but we have to give him the full season to turn this team around.

I think we will miss the 8 but it will be very interesting to see how/if Griffin changes things. I suspect he will stubbornly stick to his no frills style because that is his limit.

This season for me will be more about the progression of our younger guys and who knows Kahu might just be a natural and I will be raving about a Griffin master stroke in between eating humble pie.

It'll be interesting to see how Strasser or Kahu handle the defensive responsbility - Prince was a massive weak link last season and the pairing of him, Gillett and Hodgo gave teams an easy target. For mine, that was the biggest difference between 2011 and 2013.

Fans argue that the stats don't reflect that because a lot of points were scored through the middle, but that was usually on the back of making easy ground down the right, catching the team on the back foot and crossing over.

Prince was definitely the target but your correct Gillett and Hodgo made their jobs a hell of a lot easier too but that doesn't explain 2012, Hodges off the line made for some soft tries conceded at times, both will need to pick up their act and so will our captain too, in general though Big Pete it was the consistency that bothers me, at times you could see us capable of keeping a side pinned down in their half and then a sloppy lazy effort and all the work is undone and usually we would end up paying for it, you might say that happens to all teams but it's been happening to us for far too long too frequently, you can't expect to win games on regular basis conceding such easy ground. I don't think it's an impossible job, in fact fitness improvement can help it, but its going to take a lot of work.

Last edited:
How you can be starting a season without a 5/8

He's starting the season with 4 or 5 5/8s. The way I see it is there's finally competition for positions and it doesn't need to be decided yet. That's hardly a problem.

Griffins on his final legs. If he doesn't do well he's gone no other explanation.

I'd be happy bringing in an experienced coach as assistant someone like Sheens as he now as no other job.

He's starting the season with 4 or 5 5/8s. The way I see it is there's finally competition for positions and it doesn't need to be decided yet. That's hardly a problem.

5 huh, Who are they ? and which one is a walk up start to one of the most important positions in any side. It will IMO prove to be a huge problem.
I suspect by round 6 we will have Barba at 6 and Hoffman back at 1

5 huh, Who are they ? and which one is a walk up start to one of the most important positions in any side. It will IMO prove to be a huge problem.
I suspect by round 6 we will have Barba at 6 and Hoffman back at 1

The same ones everyone has been talking about. I guess I'm a glass half full kinda guy.

So, the poll had 3 names Barba, Strasser and Kahu. I am willing to bet if you asked Griffin who he had in mind for 5/8 next year at the end of rnd 24 none of those names would have been mentioned.

However, it is what it is and Griffin has a task to get things sorted.

Didn't we already release Wallace and Prince announced retirement by then?

You know, I was actually kinda excited about Walters assistant coaching the attack with Griffin working on defence. Now that he's at the Knights, looks like we might be back with the backwards thinking Griffin attack/Kearney defence.

Apparently Walters has only signed on at Newcastle for one year. I'm worried that, assuming he impresses the Knights board, he'll take over from Bennett at the end of the season and we'll miss out on signing the ideal replacement for Griffin.

If Griffin gets another pass on a poor season because he is 'rebuilding' the side i'll be so fucking annoyed. The dude is a muppet, not up to NRL standard at all, boring in his game plans, we will be nothing but fringe top 8 (more likely positions 7-8 at the highest, tho i still think we will miss the 8) dwellers this year and i hope finally white will man up and get rid of the clown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently Walters has only signed on at Newcastle for one year. I'm worried that, assuming he impresses the Knights board, he'll take over from Bennett at the end of the season and we'll miss out on signing the ideal replacement for Griffin.

Bennett still has another 2 years to run on his contract and there is fat chance of him being sacked.

Bennett still has another 2 years to run on his contract and there is fat chance of him being sacked.

That's true, but a lot of people think that Bennett will step down from coaching this year and go to the Broncos as "Technical Director" or something. Knowing Bennett though, he'd be happy to let these rumours with no truth to them circulate freely within the media.

I do have a mate who teaches at Brisbane Boys' College though, who gave me a good bit of info.

A couple of months ago, Bennett gave a motivational speech to the boarding house. When asked if he would consider rejoining the Broncos in some fashion, in some sort of overseer role, he just said "yes", which means he's just as likely to join us as he is to do nothing with the Broncos again.

As much as I liked KW as a player, I don't want former players being the head coach. Unless all the players he had contact with have left the club.

Having new training staff, may make Hook a better coach.

Some of Hook's interchanges in the past, could be put down to he had to pick the 'fittest' he had left. (which wasn't that many)

The better question would be, "Is Hook's future secure?" which would have to be an overwhelming cry of 'no'.

However, the idea of deciding to punt Hook right now and to bring in a replace really doesn't do anybody any favours. If the decision is made, hopefully it's around about May so management has enough time to court a genuine premiership winning coach and we can move on.

By no means have the boys performed to their utmost potential, but I believe it's fair to say he didn't exactly inherit the best hand either. We've seen it time and time again, club's struggle to respond after their 'great' player leaves and I believe the Broncos are just another example.

Last edited:
Last chance saloon for Griffin AND Kearney.

We'll know after the first game if we're in for more of the same - we have new players and support staff, if they cant capitalise on that then that's it for them.

Active Now

• Strop
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Ondi
  • Brocko
  • theshed
  • Fitzy
  • Evander
  • BRC088
  • Culhwch
  • Wendall Taylor
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Fozz
  • HarryAllan7
  • NSW stables
  • broncoscope
  • Fatboy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Wolfie
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.