OPINION who would you pick as the next Broncos number 7?

Who do you think will be Reynolds replacement as our next Halfback?

• Sam Walker

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Lachlan Lam

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Other

Votes: 36 63.2%

• Total voters
This may sound very far fetched and silly and probably is but what about trying to get Walsh into a halfback role? He has shown he can play with lots of confidence, good ball playing ability, good kicking, fast on his feet. Might be an interesting proposition to give him a go and really give him time under a good coach to learn how to play half. Nicho Hynes seems to have adapted to the role well with time. I also think Matt Burton has really shined going into 5/8 with time.

Two glaring issues with that.

Right now Walsh's greatest attribute is his speed which is best utilized in space, put him in the halfback role and he loses that. His decision making and inexperience is also far less punishing on us as a team from the fullback role. In a few years when he's 150+ games in and lost a little speed the transition may come organically.

Getting Moses would be a miracle play but we'd be getting him at the best possible point in his career and the team is ready for a halfback like him.

Failing that If we cant get Walker to come back then we're left holding the bag. Sexton, Mam, Rogers, Madden, debuting Black are all stop gaps until a real option presents itself and each season that passes is all in waiting.

Honestly, if Cobbo wasn't such an unknown, you could really consider a pretty interesting backline and spine with:

1. Cobbo
2. Oates/Leota/Someone
3. Staggs
4. Mariner
5. Arthars
6. Mam
7. Walsh
9. Mozer

This way you would get Cobbo's metres and Walsh and Mam get to do their 1/2 play all the time. Mozer would also provide a bit of pace out of the ruck. Carrigan would be integral to this of course but also, we would be able to accommodate all of Cobbo, Staggs and Mariner in the backline. Also means we don't need to spend on a big name recruit and takes advantage of Walsh's amazing playmaking and long boot.

But it is all null and void because who knows if we will even see Cobbo again.

Honestly, if Cobbo wasn't such an unknown, you could really consider a pretty interesting backline and spine with:

1. Cobbo
2. Oates/Leota/Someone
3. Staggs
4. Mariner
5. Arthars
6. Mam
7. Walsh
9. Mozer

This way you would get Cobbo's metres and Walsh and Mam get to do their 1/2 play all the time. Mozer would also provide a bit of pace out of the ruck. Carrigan would be integral to this of course but also, we would be able to accommodate all of Cobbo, Staggs and Mariner in the backline. Also means we don't need to spend on a big name recruit and takes advantage of Walsh's amazing playmaking and long boot.

But it is all null and void because who knows if we will even see Cobbo again.
Hey Sproj, what is about Walsh that you think he can be a 7?

I can see a 6 in him no problem, but a game managing half?

I just can't see it, even if I squint and try really hard.....but maybe I am missing something?

I just can't see it, even if I squint and try really hard.....but maybe I am missing something?
Other than his obvious attacking flare, ball playing & massive boot; he has the absolute confidence to back himself when he sees an opportunity or is not afraid to call the shots, boss people around.

That’s just what I see anyway but with that being said I don’t think Walsh would be my first option

Walsh as a 7 would work. Would force him to mature on the field which would be good for his football. You can see he has all the tools to be a halfback.

Walsh could be a JT style 7.

Or an Alfie style 7. It could definitely work but this day and age you need a gun fullback as well, so we'd need to find another 1.

I think if Walsh was bigger he would most likely have come through as a half... assuming that extra size dropped his speed.

Apart from the obvious footy skills (kicking, passing, running, etc.), he's constantly talking, always wants his hands on the ball and is super competitive... he's shown some class as a first receiver as well, like those passes to Piakura and his work down blindsides.

There was a slight glimpse of him as a half in the rorters game when Reynolds went off the field... he basically jumped into first receiver and was leading the team around when we were making a comeback until Ezra got HIA'd and Mariner binned for touching Teddy.... people complaining about the late shot on Hughes... well at least JFH didn't get binned like Mariner did.

I dont necessarily think Walsh needs to have the 7 on his back to start finding himself in first receiver and taking on some of those halfback responsibilities though. I think our attack will start to gear towards Walsh and he will pop up at first receiver or fullback pending on what the defence is giving... the key will be having the team identify what the defence is giving and how to exploit it

The game management aspect would be difficult for him but as mentioned in another post above, he kicks as well as any halfback in terms of long boot, he is unpredictable and at 7, he’d have his hands on the ball all the time.

I’m not even saying I would do it as a permanent thing, just an experiment when Reyno is inevitably injured next year and only if we get Cobbo back.

We play a frenetic game style, a Mam-Walsh halves pairing could be a nightmare to defend against because how do you know what’s coming when they don’t?

It also tremendous potential to go terribly but it would potentially force Mam also to take on more ownership of the team instead of sitting back and letting Reyno/Madden do it. Him and Walsh clearly have great chemistry.

I also feel like it allows us to get Cobbo’s metres by injecting him in at fullback forcing him to be constantly involved.

I think a spine of:
1. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Walsh
9. Mozer

Is just super exciting and allows us to use Reyno’s money elsewhere - namely on Walsh

This would be frustrating until it gelled though but hey if Hughes can turn into arguably the second best halfback in the game, why can’t Walsh? His natural skill set is better.

I agree with @BroncsFan too, I think Brissy will do this a bit next year anyway even when Walsh has the 1 on his back.

All of this is hypothetical anyway, we don’t even know yet if we are keeping Walsh or Cobbo.

The game management aspect would be difficult for him but as mentioned in another post above, he kicks as well as any halfback in terms of long boot, he is unpredictable and at 7, he’d have his hands on the ball all the time.

I’m not even saying I would do it as a permanent thing, just an experiment when Reyno is inevitably injured next year and only if we get Cobbo back.

We play a frenetic game style, a Mam-Walsh halves pairing could be a nightmare to defend against because how do you know what’s coming when they don’t?

It also tremendous potential to go terribly but it would potentially force Mam also to take on more ownership of the team instead of sitting back and letting Reyno/Madden do it. Him and Walsh clearly have great chemistry.

I also feel like it allows us to get Cobbo’s metres by injecting him in at fullback forcing him to be constantly involved.

I think a spine of:
1. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Walsh
9. Mozer

Is just super exciting and allows us to use Reyno’s money elsewhere - namely on Walsh

This would be frustrating until it gelled though but hey if Hughes can turn into arguably the second best halfback in the game, why can’t Walsh? His natural skill set is better.

I agree with @BroncsFan too, I think Brissy will do this a bit next year anyway even when Walsh has the 1 on his back.

All of this is hypothetical anyway, we don’t even know yet if we are keeping Walsh or Cobbo.
In that scenario I prefer Cobbo at 6 more so than Walsh at 7... only because Cobbo is then defending in the line.

You'd just have Walsh and Cobbo swapping in attack.

I'm not sure a 1, 6 and 7 of Walsh, Cobbo and Mam works though... maybe in about 5yr when these guys are more experienced and able to run the team as a collective.

It all hinges on Cobbo getting his shit together.

I think it’s so essential to get these boys working as a labourer or some shit in the preseason/off season just to get them to fully realise the position they are in and not let the opportunity of building something special go to waste.

In that scenario I prefer Cobbo at 6 more so than Walsh at 7... only because Cobbo is then defending in the line.

I'm not sure a 1, 6 and 7 of Walsh, Cobbo and Mam works though... maybe in about 5yr when these guys are more experienced and able to run the team as a collective.

2026 is another season under the belt though with opportunities to trial it and see.

By 2026, these guys are all 4-6 year players.

Id go the Cobbo at 6 Route and Walsh at 1 for defence.
At the end of the day the number on their back doesn't really matter it's more the roles they play.
It could work but the 9 and a good ball playing forward are important for it to work.

If you go to the games and see the stuff he is doing off the ball it makes alot of sense.

I still think he is best as a Fullback untill he loses a bit of speed probably in his late 20s.

Thought walsh being injured last game really showed how he should be used,he doesn't need to be in every play just being out the back of shape is enough for defenders to start shitting them selves been to predictable this year,don't see him as a 7

Walsh's brain isnt composed and calm enough to be a fullback. Probably need to revisit that in 5 or 6 years time to see if he has stopped looking for the big plays. I could see him at 6 tbh and i think he would be an excellent 6, just dont think being a 7 suits what Reece's game is all about.

Happy to stick my neck out right now and risk this biting me in the backside, but he isnt going to ever be a regular half back.

Just correcting my post, should have said halfback, not fullback. Bloody idiot i am!

Active Now

• Galah
  • Alec
  • Skyblues87
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Mr Fourex
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.