NEWS Why Haas Rejected 6m Offer

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I've got a few different takes on this whole sitiation.

Part of me thinks that the only way this noise stops is if we pay the bloke 1 million a year or he goes to the roosters where the general opinion is that he will end up at. My biggest issue is the noise this is creating is a distraction Payne and the club dont need. And given there is this much talk with still two years to run on his contract, thats a possible two more years of distraction.

What happens if Patty starts putting out Hass type numbers (to be honest hes not far behind) and flegs as well but they are been paid no where near a million? Suddenly we have in house problems.

Anothet part of me is pissed off that there is so much noise about this given he's still got 2 years to run on his contract. If james tedesco was coming off contract tomorrow you wouldn't hear a word about it. You also dont see former players, managers or other clubs jumping up and down because teddy, crighton and Manu are been paid under there value at the roosters. "COME NORTH FORGET THE SALARY CAP JOEY WE'LL GIVE YOU 1.1 MIL"

Another factor that needs to be brought to the table is his off field behaviour hasn't exactly been perfect and we've supported him through that so to say he owes us nothing is a cop out.

Realistically if we pay him a million a year we need him playing 80 mins a game with averages of 200+ meters a week and 40 tackles a week. We all know those kind of numbers will burn him out and you just can't put him through it. It's either that or he becomes an incredibly good ball playing lock who can almost play as a second 5/8 if he's to be paid 1 million.

Just to counteract everything i said earlier about the roosters been paid unders, here's a quick snapshot of zero tackle (yes i know it's zero tackle) reported sallaries for some of their players.

James Tedesco: 1.1 million
Luke Keary:850k
Joey Manu:720k
Victor radley:500k (😂😂)
JWH: 700k
No mention of Brandon Smiths value for next year or sam walker or joseph suali. Given at least walker and suali will be demanding more money in future years and the play from the roosters is JWH out for Hass in, roosters look to have about 700k to offer Hass?

You need to include the money left over from Fitzgibbon retiring.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Peter Badel says the Broncos' latest offer would make Payne the NRL's highest-paid prop. Last year, the board approved a six-year contract (end of 2027). This season, he's on $750,000. Next year $850,000 and then $950,000 in 2024. If he agrees to the extension he will earn $1.05 million in 2025, 2026 and 2027. Plus a club-approved sponsored car worth $25,000 a year. Total package ~ $5.85 million.

Corey Parker:

“The challenge for the Broncos to keep Payne is real. There’s not much more they can do really. The Broncos have offered him a six-year deal that is reflective of where he is at. Payne could get 15 offers from other clubs, so then it’s not all about money anymore, it’s about opportunity and achievement. "​
"There is no way Haas is underpaid, and the deal he is being offered is a great deal, so if he leaves Brisbane, it won’t be because of the money. Payne is worth what someone is willing to pay him. I don’t think middle forwards should be paid $1 million because they don’t own the result, the playmakers do that. But if Payne can get $1 million from the Broncos or another club, good luck to him."​
"When you first start in the game, your currency as a kid turns to how much you can get paid. Then you have ambitions to play rep footy, Origin, Australia. The ultimate currency for a player is to win a premiership. So if Payne is getting well paid at the Broncos, which he is, then his burning ambition is simply one thing - can I win a premiership at this club? That’s the reality for the Broncos.”​
Walters:
“Everyone knows Payne and his value here to the club. We are really happy to have him here and we have him here for the next three years and I want to make sure Payne is happy playing here at the Broncos. I have never been concerned about the money and it won’t be an issue with money going forward. Payne’s value is what clubs want to pay for him. I’m very confident he will stay. He loves it here and I’m sure we can come to an agreement to keep him here.”​

McHunt

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Peter Badel says the Broncos' latest offer would make Payne the NRL's highest-paid prop. Last year, the board approved a six-year contract (end of 2027). This season, he's on $750,000. Next year $850,000 and then $950,000 in 2024. If he agrees to the extension he will earn $1.05 million in 2025, 2026 and 2027. Plus a club-approved sponsored car worth $25,000 a year. Total package ~ $5.85 million.

Corey Parker:

“The challenge for the Broncos to keep Payne is real. There’s not much more they can do really. The Broncos have offered him a six-year deal that is reflective of where he is at. Payne could get 15 offers from other clubs, so then it’s not all about money anymore, it’s about opportunity and achievement. "​
"There is no way Haas is underpaid, and the deal he is being offered is a great deal, so if he leaves Brisbane, it won’t be because of the money. Payne is worth what someone is willing to pay him. I don’t think middle forwards should be paid $1 million because they don’t own the result, the playmakers do that. But if Payne can get $1 million from the Broncos or another club, good luck to him."​
"When you first start in the game, your currency as a kid turns to how much you can get paid. Then you have ambitions to play rep footy, Origin, Australia. The ultimate currency for a player is to win a premiership. So if Payne is getting well paid at the Broncos, which he is, then his burning ambition is simply one thing - can I win a premiership at this club? That’s the reality for the Broncos.”​
Walters:
“Everyone knows Payne and his value here to the club. We are really happy to have him here and we have him here for the next three years and I want to make sure Payne is happy playing here at the Broncos. I have never been concerned about the money and it won’t be an issue with money going forward. Payne’s value is what clubs want to pay for him. I’m very confident he will stay. He loves it here and I’m sure we can come to an agreement to keep him here.”​

McHunt
Not a fan of that deal if true.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
So the six million dollar question has to be - is Payne willing and able to do the required heavy lifting to rebuild this club into one that is capable of winning a comp? Or, will he resort to the young players' type of today and look for pastures greener where all the work has already been done?

A championship ring is a championship ring wherever it's won, but I think everyone knows including Payne that winning one with the Broncos will mean so much more when he reflects back on his life as he can proudly say he fought through the adversity of a wooden spoon to eventually come out on top.

Is it a challenge he is willing to take up or will he fold like some soft **** and take the easy Rorters option?

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
This bit by Walters makes me think he is 100% leaving.
I’m very confident he will stay. He loves it here and I’m sure we can come to an agreement to keep him here.”

He said the same thing about Fifita and he said the same thing about Coates.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
So the six million dollar question has to be - is Payne willing and able to do the required heavy lifting to rebuild this club into one that is capable of winning a comp? Or, will he resort to the young players' type of today and look for pastures greener where all the work has already been done?

A championship ring is a championship ring wherever it's won, but I think everyone knows including Payne that winning one with the Broncos will mean so much more when he reflects back on his life as he can proudly say he fought through the adversity of a wooden spoon to eventually come out on top.

Is it a challenge he is willing to take up or will he fold like some soft **** and take the easy Rorters option?
Honestly, it might be in the club's better interest not to invest in the highest paid/best prop in the NRL.

How often does the club with the highest paid/best prop win the premiership? Compared to the club with the highest paid/best halves? If it's a choice between securing the best prop or five-eighth, it's no competition. Unfortunately, that didn't work out for us with Milford. But the tactic was sound.

The only way Payne can justify that money is not just to play out of his skin (which he does) but for us to win on his back. We already have him. We're already paying him huge money. But we haven't been doing that. Having the best prop in the competition doesn't seem to be a winning hand.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
At this point the best thing the club could do is withdraw the offer. He has had enough time and all he is doing is using use to leverage the highest price he can get from the Roosters.

At the end of the day he is just a prop, maybe the best in the game but even then that is debatable with others up there. A prop can only influence the game so much and we have a lot of good forwards and more coming through.

The needs to stand strong in this and be used as a tool in the media for Payne and the Roosters to flog. Pull the offer and spend that money on a spine player. Payne either plays here for the next couple of years or the Roosters give us a quality player and he ***** off.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
At this point the best thing the club could do is withdraw the offer. He has had enough time and all he is doing is using use to leverage the highest price he can get from the Roosters.

At the end of the day he is just a prop, maybe the best in the game but even then that is debatable with others up there. A prop can only influence the game so much and we have a lot of good forwards and more coming through.

The needs to stand strong in this and be used as a tool in the media for Payne and the Roosters to flog. Pull the offer and spend that money on a spine player. Payne either plays here for the next couple of years or the Roosters give us a quality player and he ***** off.

I sort of disagree to an extent. You keep the offer there for now in order to push the Roosters price up. No way should they get free reign just because they want him. I reckon it is also the reason the Warriors said they were offering Manu a million. It means the Roosters cannot say they got these guys for half or less of market value.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I sort of disagree to an extent. You keep the offer there for now in order to push the Roosters price up. No way should they get free reign just because they want him. I reckon it is also the reason the Warriors said they were offering Manu a million. It means the Roosters cannot say they got these guys for half or less of market value.
The whole thing's a farce really. They don't even need to be offering him an extension for at least another year, maybe two. He's already managed to get a massive pay upgrade courtesy of the manager he sacked. He's already on fantastic biscuits. The real message should be: keep playing good footy. We love you Payne.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019

I love Haas as a player, but i agree 100%

Donald Garner

Donald Garner

NRL Player
Feb 5, 2017
1 mil a year would be much better spent on a blue chip fullback. Not a prop.

We get a good fullback we then have the makings of a good spine apart from the 9

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Honestly, it might be in the club's better interest not to invest in the highest paid/best prop in the NRL.

How often does the club with the highest paid/best prop win the premiership? Compared to the club with the highest paid/best halves? If it's a choice between securing the best prop or five-eighth, it's no competition. Unfortunately, that didn't work out for us with Milford. But the tactic was sound.

The only way Payne can justify that money is not just to play out of his skin (which he does) but for us to win on his back. We already have him. We're already paying him huge money. But we haven't been doing that. Having the best prop in the competition doesn't seem to be a winning hand.
Yip, I get that. But if he sticks around on between 800-900K he'd be a great help in building our team.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • BroncoFan94
  • Bucking Beads
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Foordy
  • Lozza
  • Shane Tronc
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.