NEWS Why Haas Rejected 6m Offer

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
As he stands now, he's worth every cent of 900-950k.

1m/1.05m he'd need to add a quality offload to his game.

I don't buy the you don't spend outside of your spine, good props are IMO the most important position outside of the spine, your halves live and die by how well the props do and he is legitimately as good as two 500k props.

He makes basically 0 errors, concedes no penalties/6 agains, doesn't throw a bad pass/offload, rarely misses a tackle, does all the 1 percenters, and bends the line every run playing long minutes.

As it stands right now, I'd actually pull the extension offer and tell him we'll re-discuss it next year simply because it's too early to discuss extensions. End of next year is the right time, if he signs elsewhere, so be it, he'll be a loss but you can fill a good gap with 1m.

It's easy enough to say go buy a million dollar fullback but who? Walsh ain't worth that and the pressure will crush him, Ponga is an overrated hack, Tedesco/Gutherson/Paps/Turbo won't leave their clubs but if Mozer is as special as some make him out to be, by the end of next year we'll be in a much better position to know if we should extend Haas, or go all in on Mozer.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
We’re falling right back into the trap of putting too much of our cap into the forwards. A million dollars buys you 3 pretty good first grade forwards, or 2 rep grade forwards. I think it’s absolutely crazy to be spending that much on one prop.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

I don't buy the you don't spend outside of your spine, good props are IMO the most important position outside of the spine, your halves live and die by how well the props do and he is legitimately as good as two 500k props.

He makes basically 0 errors, concedes no penalties/6 agains, doesn't throw a bad pass/offload, rarely misses a tackle, does all the 1 percenters, and bends the line every run playing long minutes.

As it stands right now, I'd actually pull the extension offer and tell him we'll re-discuss it next year simply because it's too early to discuss extensions. End of next year is the right time, if he signs elsewhere, so be it, he'll be a loss but you can fill a good gap with 1m.

It's easy enough to say go buy a million dollar fullback but who? Walsh ain't worth that and the pressure will crush him, Ponga is an overrated hack, Tedesco/Gutherson/Paps/Turbo won't leave their clubs but if Mozer is as special as some make him out to be, by the end of next year we'll be in a much better position to know if we should extend Haas, or go all in on Mozer.

I don't think anyone disagrees but let's be honest here, it isn't like Fleger and Carrigan are spuds in this space. Add to that we have Willison coming through and one or two more, id Haas leaves, it would absolutely suck but it isn't the end of the world.

If Haas gets a million a season, how much will we need to pay Carrigan and Flegs?

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
At this point the best thing the club could do is withdraw the offer. He has had enough time and all he is doing is using use to leverage the highest price he can get from the Roosters.

At the end of the day he is just a prop, maybe the best in the game but even then that is debatable with others up there. A prop can only influence the game so much and we have a lot of good forwards and more coming through.

The needs to stand strong in this and be used as a tool in the media for Payne and the Roosters to flog. Pull the offer and spend that money on a spine player. Payne either plays here for the next couple of years or the Roosters give us a quality player and he ***** off.

Sorry but what the? Why does Payne have to do anything? He already has a contract. The Broncos are offering a new one that he can take or leave it.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

I don't think anyone disagrees but let's be honest here, it isn't like Fleger and Carrigan are spuds in this space. Add to that we have Willison coming through and one or two more, id Haas leaves, it would absolutely suck but it isn't the end of the world.

If Haas gets a million a season, how much will we need to pay Carrigan and Flegs?
The other way he can justify his money is if he becomes that scary senior prop like Webke and Lararus who all the young guys want to impress. Who occasionally calls you a good pig and instantly makes everything groovy. Payne could be that player in a way that Patty and Flegler can't. Patty because he's too nice. And Flegler, because you know why.

In terms of prop depth, we also have Xavier Willison coming back. But none of these other players have Payne's aura.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
Over the last 2 years Payne has produced insane numbers for a prop, and we have still finished 15/16th. He isn't worth a million a year, anything over 850k for a prop just isn't worth it. There are a handful of 1m players, and Payne isn't one of them.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
When he starts intimidating with his defence maybe then he will be the best .
Wading on in tackles like the big islander kid in U/10s might make for impressive stats but it doesn`t win games .
True. I've been waiting to see him leave behind a wake of limping bodies but it never happens.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
True. I've been waiting to see him leave behind a wake of limping bodies but it never happens.

J Dubya H is the model of what I have in mind .Even though I detest him . He is the standard for attitude .
Lots of hardening up needed from Payne . Maybe a tiny bit of Flegler rubs off on him . lol .

abashii

abashii

NRL Player
Contributor
Jul 14, 2014
I sort of disagree to an extent. You keep the offer there for now in order to push the Roosters price up. No way should they get free reign just because they want him. I reckon it is also the reason the Warriors said they were offering Manu a million. It means the Roosters cannot say they got these guys for half or less of market value.
Lol, watch them. The Roosters' sombrero is a meme, everybody knows and nobody can or will do anything about it. The Matty Johns show will have a couple of jokes about it and everyone will turn back to dumping shit on the Tigers and any other clubs on the slide.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
When he starts intimidating with his defence maybe then he will be the best .
Wading on in tackles like the big islander kid in U/10s might make for impressive stats but it doesn`t win games .

I know he is small, but did you see Walsh basically stop in front of Payne today? Lol

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I'd say, play him for 80 week in, week out and then let him go.

Unread

Active Now

• Allo
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.