NEWS Win five games or you're sacked Seibold

I'm really still curious to what changed after round one and two with the group. Something seriously went wrong in that break...I really cannot understand what has changed the dynamic so much.
I think it's mostly the rule change. We have not been able to adjust to the pace of the game. Maybe Seibs underestimated the extent of how fast the game would become along with the players not staying in peak condition. Then we have half the run on side injured and make a decision to let macca go (which was fine at the time).
We get smashed early, on return, and everything spirals from there.
Literally nothing has gone our way be it self inflicted or luck.
It's been a perfect storm of bad decisions and bad luck/timing..

I think it's mostly the rule change. We have not been able to adjust to the pace of the game. Maybe Seibs underestimated the extent of how fast the game would become along with the players not staying in peak condition. Then we have half the run on side injured and make a decision to let macca go (which was fine at the time).
We get smashed early, on return, and everything spirals from there.
Literally nothing has gone our way be it self inflicted or luck.
It's been a perfect storm of bad decisions and bad luck/timing..
In terms of the rule changes, almost everything that has changed in the game has impacted us.

- Ruck infringements in your own end no longer give you a kick for touch and cheap meters up the field... so we are reliant on yardage out of our own end for field position and our outside backs are getting none
- This has a double impact where if you cant get field position then you cant put any sort of attack on... we've basically been camped in our own end for 8 weeks now. I haven't looked at the numbers, but I can imagine we probably concede the most forced drop outs in the comp and probably have the least amount of tackles inside the opposition 20m, which is a sign of how much we lose the territory battle each week
- In defence we were starting to implement the tactical penalties for our goal line defence to allow us to reset the line when it was under pressure... this has been changed to a 6 again. The good teams can give away a 6 again and reset their line mid set, but we have no organisation in defence to fall back on and no communication to get us back into shape
- Also the weakest part of our defence is the middle third as we are regularly conceding +60m sets... this gives us no field position and has us defending attacking kicks and inside our 20m for basically the entire game.

In order to change the field position we need our best yardage men in the back 3... in recent weeks we've had Niu, Coates and Isaako. For me Herbie and Coates are our best so they should be our wingers (I no longer want to see Oates on the wing)... fullback is a different story, but we need someone that can defuse the bombs. I'm not sure how Milf will go but at least this time at fullback he'll have actual halves in front of him and he's been taking dummy half runs in recent weeks to get his hands on the ball and they haven't been the worst. His ability to organise the defensive line will be another story though.

The whole defensive setup needs a complete overhaul and having our defensive coach/ consultant in 2 days a week ain't gonna cut it... every week of training needs to be defence everyday until it's sorted out... there's no bye to fix it so we just have to sacrifice something else in order to fix it

Last edited:
I never believed it but if siebold only wins say 2 out of the next 10 games he will likely be sacked anyway and those who put that story out will say ‘see I told you so’.
It is actually clever in a perverse way as although it is wrong it could still effectively happen if that makes sense.

In the other worse case scenario, he wins 1 from 10 - littered with 50 odd to NIL thrashings and the board is still stubborn as ever to keep the Dally M winning coach despite the external raging noise.
:brickwall:

Last edited:
In the other worse case scenario, he wins 1 from 10 - littered with 50 odd to NIL thrashings and the board is still stubborn as ever to keep the Dally M winning coach despite the external raging noise.
:brickwall:
Yep there is no doubt the board have painted themselves into a corner.
There is no easy way out for them which is why they are paralysed by indecision.

This is why there needs to be accountability across the entire club. From the players, through the coaching staff right up to the admin.
Whoever is responsible for the state of our roster needs to shoulder their part of the blame for this.
**** knows how we fix it though.
Sadly the fix is long term change in recruitment. No longer should we find the biggest kid on the block, we need to find the talent that is either always trying to improve, or has to work hard just to stay in the team. Those kids will bring the right attitude to adversity and a work ethic that when combined with good skills coaches will blossom into real match winners. We need to start this immediately and understand that it will take time, time we use to get these rotten contracts off our books and invest in people like Macca to work along side these rising stars and teach and help develop their professionalism.

Sadly the fix is long term change in recruitment.

Agreed. Roosters have gone back to back with a good chance a threepeat, and how many of their players are club juniors? Practically none would be my guess.

Our recruitment has been pitiful to say the least.

I like that we want to blood this young squad, I really do, but we will fast become a club who just gives these kids 1st grade experience that helps them win comps for the likes of the Storm and Roosters.

Recruitment has to be better. We are the Broncos ffs. Every single year top 4 and title run should be on the table. Look at the resources and training facilities on offer, it's leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the league.

I get we obviously didn't plan on Bird being injured so much, but he was injured when we brought him in and offered him so much cash! Retention and how we retain players is also key. None of this player option bullshit that plagues the club, and we need to stop having a roster where 80% of the players and coach are managed by the same weasel.

Remember when we whinged a grand final appearance only, and not the title was a failure?
I remember people saying we needed to suffer a rebuilding year so we can win it. Well here it is. This is what it feels like. A squad of juniors, guided by what's left of the old squad "learning on the job" guided by a young coach with "revolutionary".ideas.
Tough as it is this is what some people wanted.
Will we better next year?most certainly! Did we need this year to rebuild the squad? I doubt it, but others thought so and here we are.
I know one thing. The sooner the season finishes and a new one starts, the better I'll feel.

I found the player survey interesting in that we were still (from memory) the third most popular club that players would like to join, after the Rorters and Storm. That being the case, our recruitment ABSOLUTELY needs to improve.

I don't know a lot about this space, but it seems to me as though the wheels started falling off once Cyril left the game.

I found the player survey interesting in that we were still (from memory) the third most popular club that players would like to join, after the Rorters and Storm. That being the case, our recruitment ABSOLUTELY needs to improve.

I don't know a lot about this space, but it seems to me as though the wheels started falling off once Cyril left the game.
Indeed -

We also need to get a recruitment team that are willing to roll up their sleeves and get a bit dirty. Why aren't we throwing spurious deals out there to stars to drive up the prices like other clubs do to us? Kearny's up for renewal? Great! 1.1mil mate, come on over! We know he won't take it, but his agent would run with the verbal back to the rorters and push up the price for sure. I'd say the tits are guilty of this with Fifi, but, to be honest, I think they're just an absolute loose cannon at the moment.

Clubs have been playing the recruitment game better than us for decades. Storm drove up Milfs price and who even knows is Bellamy was dead set on it (as a recent example where we got totally shafted). Not to mention how much we paid for Bird (even ignoring his horror run with injuries) - who the F*** pays almost a million a year for a bloody centre? That's Tedesco money....

We also need to repair whatever damage was done between the club and the Jets for the next time that partnership is up for renewal and re-secure that pathway. Was absolutely self inflicted nonsense to break down that relationship.

Even if we cannot get success at the top level for a number of years, we should be at least be the most respected mob in town with clubs throwing their talent at us because of how well we look after them (the clubs and the players).

Then there's our new recruits, the next Locky, the next Hancock, the next this or that or the other. STOP! I know the media is largely to blame here but the club should be actively pouring cold water on that talk. No, this 18 year old kid, does not need to live up to any former club legend. Let them be them, see how they go and if they can make it, wonderful. Why add stupid expectation to burden our new generation of players because the reality is, most 17/18/19 year olds don't actually make it, those that do, some go on to be good, few go on to be great.

In terms of the rule changes, almost everything that has changed in the game has impacted us.

- Ruck infringements in your own end no longer give you a kick for touch and cheap meters up the field... so we are reliant on yardage out of our own end for field position and our outside backs are getting none
- This has a double impact where if you cant get field position then you cant put any sort of attack on... we've basically been camped in our own end for 8 weeks now. I haven't looked at the numbers, but I can imagine we probably concede the most forced drop outs in the comp and probably have the least amount of tackles inside the opposition 20m, which is a sign of how much we lose the territory battle each week
- In defence we were starting to implement the tactical penalties for our goal line defence to allow us to reset the line when it was under pressure... this has been changed to a 6 again. The good teams can give away a 6 again and reset their line mid set, but we have no organisation in defence to fall back on and no communication to get us back into shape
- Also the weakest part of our defence is the middle third as we are regularly conceding +60m sets... this gives us no field position and has us defending attacking kicks and inside our 20m for basically the entire game.

In order to change the field position we need our best yardage men in the back 3... in recent weeks we've had Niu, Coates and Isaako. For me Herbie and Coates are our best so they should be our wingers (I no longer want to see Oates on the wing)... fullback is a different story, but we need someone that can defuse the bombs. I'm not sure how Milf will go but at least this time at fullback he'll have actual halves in front of him and he's been taking dummy half runs in recent weeks to get his hands on the ball and they haven't been the worst. His ability to organise the defensive line will be another story though.

The whole defensive setup needs a complete overhaul and having our defensive coach/ consultant in 2 days a week ain't gonna cut it... every week of training needs to be defence everyday until it's sorted out... there's no bye to fix it so we just have to sacrifice something else in order to fix it

I'd hazard a guess that a lot of other coaches have come to the same conclusion and adjusted their game plan accordingly. That's game plan singular. Our defensive weaknesses are just so plain to see. And our game plan hasn't changed much knowing exactly how we get flogged... funnily enough, we get beaten exactly the same way, in the same places, by every team that beats us.

Seibold admitted to us not adapting to the 6 Again in a presser a 3 or 4 weeks back. from memory. He doesn't have a future as a coach unless he gets this side to adapt a whole lot better, and real soon before we re-write the record books for most points against and least points for. That for me is worse than the symbol of the wooden spoon, and not a good look on Seibold's resume.

Last edited:
Indeed -

We also need to get a recruitment team that are willing to roll up their sleeves and get a bit dirty. Why aren't we throwing spurious deals out there to stars to drive up the prices like other clubs do to us? Kearny's up for renewal? Great! 1.1mil mate, come on over! We know he won't take it, but his agent would run with the verbal back to the rorters and push up the price for sure. I'd say the tits are guilty of this with Fifi, but, to be honest, I think they're just an absolute loose cannon at the moment.

Clubs have been playing the recruitment game better than us for decades. Storm drove up Milfs price and who even knows is Bellamy was dead set on it (as a recent example where we got totally shafted). Not to mention how much we paid for Bird (even ignoring his horror run with injuries) - who the F*** pays almost a million a year for a bloody centre? That's Tedesco money....

We also need to repair whatever damage was done between the club and the Jets for the next time that partnership is up for renewal and re-secure that pathway. Was absolutely self inflicted nonsense to break down that relationship.

Even if we cannot get success at the top level for a number of years, we should be at least be the most respected mob in town with clubs throwing their talent at us because of how well we look after them (the clubs and the players).

Then there's our new recruits, the next Locky, the next Hancock, the next this or that or the other. STOP! I know the media is largely to blame here but the club should be actively pouring cold water on that talk. No, this 18 year old kid, does not need to live up to any former club legend. Let them be them, see how they go and if they can make it, wonderful. Why add stupid expectation to burden our new generation of players because the reality is, most 17/18/19 year olds don't actually make it, those that do, some go on to be good, few go on to be great.
A great post containing much of how I feel at the present. We got to where we were because we were professional and left no stone unturned to achieve success. Now, some of the management expect it happen just because. We are severely lacking good leadership on all fronts at the moment.

Lockyer confirming "win 5 or you're out" as #fakenews

Last edited:
Locky is just playing semantics, I reckon the 'win 5 out of 10 things' probably wasn't 'officially' stated as a hard and fast ultimatum, but a 'guide' as too what the club is expecting for Seibold for the rest of the season, hence no ultimatum.

Seibold will survive to the end of the year then be measured against the 'guide' IMO.

Even if we do win 5/10 that’s still a 40% win rate on the season lol. True to his career broncs average i guess

According to 100% Footy, the club has issued a statement that the ultimatum is a load of rubbish, did not happen.
Ok, bit of a sidetrack here but you hear journo's going on about player accountability on various topics, but what about their accountability for just making rumours and other shit up?

It shits me that they can make shit up and not be held accountable because it can really damage the reputation of the club/players.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.