Winterstein, Kemp and Yow Yeh - Who would you let go?

What's more annoying than over the top Kemp love?
Over the top Kemp hate.

Big Pete's agenda is obvious.

Big Pete said:
I remember Round 1 and him being too afraid to tackle players while Folau was taking an eternity to recover.

The margin between Winter and Kemp is not THAT great.

I remember that, Kemp saved a try with his back peddaling and body position... Wow

audragon said:
rnabokov said:
I am looking forward to your video with great interest.
So am I...

In the meanwhile, the facts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nZI7EJK ... re=related

Some people get distracted about the "Kemp love", so much so that they forget their own Kemp dissent...

I just love the way Kemp read the play and positioned himself to take the final pass from Boyd. And the way he got around Morris B. so easily.

And yeah ... Big Pete might like to spend some time watching that.

Yes - that was '08. But at least it should what he's capable of - brilliance. Now let him play 7 straight and reserve opinion till then.

Based on what Kemp is capable of, I rate him amongst the top wingers in the game. No shit.

How can you say Kemp has had an average season. He hasn't played that much. Look at the rest of the teams effort when he was playing, just about every player was playing terrible, it's hard to do well in a team when everyone else is doing poorly as well. I am looking forward to you showing some video proof of his poor high ball ability and also his poot tackling ability. He's not a superstar, but damn he has show the most potential out of all our wingers.

I am looking forward to your video with great interest.

Bit of a stale-mate there isn't there?

As for your opinion abut Kemp's "problems" under the high ball, go back now and watch the '08 YouTube. Kemp took heaps of high balls, leaping for them quite nicely under pressure thank you very much.

He leaped for them twice, the first leap he wasn't even contested. The second was a good take, fairly standard, and not as good as what Winterstein can produce, but worth paying.

The "soccer" try was awesome - and only Kemp could have scored it. If he gets to play, it wont be the last.

Amen.
Compare Winters to Kemp on form? You've got to be joking! Kemp can be a bloody weapon, and as far as our wing play is concerned, especially with Hodges on the inside, it adds significantly to our strike power.

Did I say compare them on form?

Big Pete's agenda is obvious.

No agenda present.

I believe we have three first grade wingers in our squad and only two spots. I'm against chopping and changing the squad and I'd rather give Kemp some match fitness and confidence then simply rushing him into first grade. I don't believe he's worthy of automatic selection.

I remember that, Kemp saved a try with his back peddaling and body position... Wow

By saving a try do you mean giving Tonga plenty of metres as Kemp prayed for somebody to make a tackle he should of been making?
And yeah ... Big Pete might like to spend some time watching that.

It's an awesome video. 2008 had plenty of good memories.

But there were some ordinary ones too.

Based on what Kemp is capable of, I rate him amongst the top wingers in the game. No shit.

[eusa_doh

The Rock - No excuses? Don't you recall both players have been struggling with injury?

Winterstien has been playing in first grade so his struggles with injury hardly compare to Kemp missing over a month with broken ribs and punctures lungs.

The Rock said:
Struggling with injury? You mean like 6 weeks ago? What an absolute rubbish excuse. Winter and Yow Yeh have strung enough games together for them to be able to reclaim some form yet we're still waiting.

Gotcha, I just thought you were saying neither had any injuries this season...which is far from true.

Both have put in some good performances (Yow Yeh vs. Rabbits, Winter vs. Panthers) but they've been inconsistent. I'd at least give them another week before Denan Christ comes back.

I agreed with basically everything you said Rocky...except for your last line.

Kemp's best asset is his speed, and he is the fastest at the Broncos. Speed can be important in Rugby League...but these days you also need to be dominant in defence, exceptional under the high ball and must be able to challenge the line. Kemp falls down in those areas...

But that's not to say Antonio or Yow Yeh are exceptional there either, I just believe they're superior in those facets.

Look, I've already said enough and I must be coming off as a knocker...but really I'm not.

I just want to see the likes of Winterstein and Yow Yeh get a fair go here and attempt to expel any double standards that creep their way into fan bases like this.

If I was coach right now, I'd give Winterstein and Yow Yeh another crack and give Kemp another 80 in QCup and assess then.

with regards to Kemp, people need to stop thinking about his form 2 years ago and think about his form NOW. because that should be the only thing that matters. he needs to show something in the QLD cup before he earns a recall to the NRL team. Personally, i think he does have more than just speed, but is form last year and before his injury this year wasn't all that good, he needs to find what he had in 2008 because if he does he could potentially be a rep quality winger.

What about the games he played in the lower grades in New Zealand?

Saw Kemp played in QLD Cup couple weeks back. Was pretty average. Kept on getting dominated.
Kemp 08 form was good but nothing exceptional. Winter would've scored thosse tries. Except maybe the soccer try.
I have to agree with Big Pete in regards to Kemp being shyt under the high ball. In the youtube video you only see like two takes under the high ball under any real pressure. What you don't see is all the clangers from 08.
Im sure if I was to make a video of all Winters trys and catches under the high ball from last season, I could make just as good video.
Anyways, Kemp is solid first grade winger without being the superstar that many think he could be.
The player that should be keeping an eye on is Dane Gagai from the under 20s. He plays fullback but wouldn't look out of place on the wing. Looks like a footballer.

The Rock said:
Jeba said:
What about the games he played in the lower grades in New Zealand?

Don't count.

You'll find that MOST rugby league players that get demoted to a reserve grade DO NOT dominate or even show any sort of great form. This is due to many things and one of them is mainly confidence. Coaches tend to bring them straight back into first grade when they feel the time is right and when they do it's never usually an indication that they have performed well and proved themselves in reserve grade. (Also, when they are recalled into the top grade, confidence dramatically increases and thus they perform well) Just look at Sims for example. He was playing average football in Q Cup before he made it into the Broncos team and what happened? He's played very well since.

That happens rarely in the QCup I find. Not sure what happens down in your part of the world (or in New Zealand for that matter), but I have watched and been to a good lot of QCup games over the last few years and what happened with Sims this year from what I have seen is unusual. When Winterstein got dropped back to Easts this year he played well, and reports are Te'o played well as well (did not see that game as I was at Redcliffe where Winterstein was playing). Josh McGuire apparently has been playing great footy for Norths as well.

I guess what I am trying to say is (and others have said it as well) it is time to stop hanging onto the 2008 form. He clearly hasn't backed it up. The video only showed the good bits, for example it didn't show Kemp getting outjumped by Matt Peterson at Skilled Park in Round 6. I am not saying there were any bad bits, but you can't use that video as an example of Kemp's ability under the high ball. If I made a Winterstein video I could make it look like he is unstoppable under the high ball.

Well if Kemp lovers keep insisting on holding onto 2008 form, I will keep a firm grip of 2009 form.

Having said that, I wouldn't object to Ivan giving Kemp ago ahead of Winterstein, mainly because Winterstein is off to the Cowboys next season. But I don't think he's going as badly as people say he is. I thought his kick returns and dummy half runs the other night were good. As for the bombs, well Parra put up a thousand of them and Winterstein was the obvious target, was always going to be tough for him, but you know what? They only scored once.

Oh and Yow Yeh is still the best winger at the club!!

Yow Yeh is the best winger at the club, the sooner we see the best of him the better. I doubt Kemp will play this weekend anyway. Winter hasn't being going that bad but because he is leaving I would like to see Kemp get a run to see if he can get back to his good form we know he has in him.

Yeah, you would think now would be the time to invest in Kemp since Winter is leaving. If he doesn't hold up after a few games, bring Winter back in. Time away from first grade for Winter might do him some good anyways.

Big_Dave said:
Saw Kemp played in QLD Cup couple weeks back. Was pretty average. Kept on getting dominated.
Kemp 08 form was good but nothing exceptional. Winter would've scored thosse tries. Except maybe the soccer try.
I have to agree with Big Pete in regards to Kemp being shyt under the high ball. In the youtube video you only see like two takes under the high ball under any real pressure. What you don't see is all the clangers from 08.
Im sure if I was to make a video of all Winters trys and catches under the high ball from last season, I could make just as good video.
Anyways, Kemp is solid first grade winger without being the superstar that many think he could be.
The player that should be keeping an eye on is Dane Gagai from the under 20s. He plays fullback but wouldn't look out of place on the wing. Looks like a footballer.

He completely failed on the wing before being moved back to fullback. Fullback has been the only position he has looked comfortable in and excelled in. Theres plenty of time for that to change though as he is still quite young.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • cento
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.