• Start date
M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Hammo said:
I just read the foirst page of this thread;

LOLZ

No Hunt...where are we all people? Where are the Hunt is better than Slater people!?

Also, Williams (joke), Glen Stewart (joke), Perry (joke), Fitzgibbon (joke), Watmough (joke) and finally, as much as I love him, Crocker (triple joke)

Considering this is the WC year, to have picked this squad on the finals teams (which is clearly what they have done), has just shat in the face of most of the NRL.

Pathetic.

Go Kumuls/Tonga/Kiwis

1. Hunt - Surely has something to do with the investigations.

2. Glenn Stewart has IMO been one of the best second rowers of the past 18 months. Totally warranted selection, but I thought he would've been a fringe bench/just missing out player.

3. Williams - Why a joke? They've picked Folau, Tate, Inglis and Hodges - four centres. You could put Folau and Tate on the wings, but would also need another player or two as back-up, or to play against PNG or whatever. Which other winger has set the world on fire to be picked here? Denan Kemp would be the closest one IMO. Who else? Amos Roberts, Jarryd Hayne? LOLZ, no way.

Agreed on the rest though. The biggest downfall is far and away the pack. Even if they are ommitting Thaiday because of the investigations. Myles and Ryles should clearly be in for Watmough and Crocker. Even O'Meley was playing some great footy in the last few weeks of the season. Hell, Hindmarsh should be in for Flopsgibbon.

J

Je$ter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Hammo said:
P.S. The "wolfman" or whatever people have labeled hi, is a flash in the pan. He doesn't deserve a test spot and Falou and Tate will pwn him next Origin.

This squad has really shitted me off.

Word up.

I think for all NRL players the message is clear: Grow a beard and now matter how much of a mediocre player you are, you'll get a 'cult' following and make rep teams.

Honestly, Williams is far from special. He's the David Stagg version of a winger - does his job, not much more.

Give me a winger with some flair any day of the week.

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Je$ter said:
Hammo said:
P.S. The "wolfman" or whatever people have labeled hi, is a flash in the pan. He doesn't deserve a test spot and Falou and Tate will pwn him next Origin.

Word up.

I think for all NRL players the message is clear: Grow a beard and now matter how much of a mediocre player you are, you'll get a 'cult' following and make rep teams.

Honestly, Williams is far from special. He's the David Stagg version of a winger - does his job, not much more.

Again, who? Williams is on par with a very average bunch when it comes to Aussie wingers at the moment. Folau/Tate will be our wingers with good reason, Williams as a back-up in case of injury, or to play against PNG.

Kiwis have us well and truly covered when it comes to the wing. Couldn't think of anyone else who deserves it heaps more than Williams.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Coxy said:
Can't agree Argus. The ARL and particularly medical staff knew full well about Andrew Johns' self medication and never stopped choosing him.

Couple of differences in this situation Coxy:

1. Johns' self medication wasn't public at the time, therefore no public outcry about him being a bad role model etc etc

2. Johns was far and away the best halfback of his time. In this current situation I think the 3 fullbacks and a number of the forwards (incl Thaiday) are all pretty even in terms of on-field performance; so if the selectors are looking for a way to split them recent off-field controversy will definitely come into play as a deciding factor.

Personally I'm happy either way if they were selected or not - I don't think the team would be that much stronger with them there and it's not really any weaker for them not being there.

J

Je$ter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
mick! said:
[quote="Je$ter":139fk1kj]
Hammo said:

Word up.

Again, who? Williams is on par with a very average bunch when it comes to Aussie wingers at the moment. Folau/Tate will be our wingers with good reason, Williams as a back-up in case of injury, or to play against PNG.

Kiwis have us well and truly covered when it comes to the wing. Couldn't think of anyone else who deserves it heaps more than Williams.[/quote:139fk1kj]

I think Monaghan and Folau would be better as the wingers, with Tate/Hodges/Inglis fighting it out for the centre spot. Monaghan provides a better target for the kcikers.

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Je$ter said:
[quote="mick!":1bdgmdfy][quote="Je$ter":1bdgmdfy]
Hammo said:

Word up.

Kiwis have us well and truly covered when it comes to the wing. Couldn't think of anyone else who deserves it heaps more than Williams.[/quote:1bdgmdfy]

I think Monaghan and Folau would be better as the wingers, with Tate/Hodges/Inglis fighting it out for the centre spot. Monaghan provides a better target for the kcikers.[/quote:1bdgmdfy]

Agreed Monaghan would be one of a few who I see as being on the same level as Williams. Monaghan/Best/Kemp/Williams/Robertson/Roberts/El Masri - all solid but not much more IMO... will do the job.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
What does Monaghan have that Williams doesn't? I'll tell ya, he can catch a bomb. He's got NOTHING else. Williams is a hard runner, he's hard to tackle, he has a good fend, and he's deceptively quick.

I think Jester and Hammo just hate him because he's successful. HatersHQ!

ethos

ethos

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Ashton Sims made the Fiji squad.

He qualifies on the basis that his great uncle's second cousin once saw someone who looked slightly like a Fijian. :roll:

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Or the fact that his mum is Fijian, but don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant about league international qualification rules :P

ethos

ethos

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Never let the facts get in the way of any good rant. hah

And I didn't know that his mum was Fijian, thought it was one of his grandparents or something.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
So what if Sims plays for Fiji? I'd say about 90% of the worlds talent in rugby league is mainly eligable for Aus, NZ and England. When a tournament like this comes along then I'm all for spreading the talent as much as we can. It will make our game look like less of a laughing stock on the international scene hopefully.

J

Je$ter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
BAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1.

IRELAND

Ross Barbour (Carlow Crusaders), Bob Beswick (Widnes), Damien Blanch (Wakefield), Mick Cassidy (Barrow), Ged Corcoran (Sheffield), Lee Doran (Leigh), Liam Finn (Dewsbury), Simon Finnigan (Bradford), Karl Fitzpatrick (Salford), Steve Gibbons (London Skolars), Sean Gleeson (Wakefield), Scott Grix (Wakefield), Gareth Haggerty (Harlequins), Ben Harrison (Warrington), Graham Holroyd (Halifax), Wayne Kerr (London Skolars), Stuart Littler (Salford), Shannon McDonnell (Wests Tigers), Michael McIlorum (Wigan), Eamon O'Carroll (Wigan), Michael Platt (Bradford), Pat Richards (Wigan), Ryan Tandy (Wests Tigers), Brett White (Melbourne Storm).

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Wayne Kerr.

Pat Dicks.

They should be good with their handling.

I normally have a soft spot for Ireland in a RLWC or RUWC, but with Brett White playing for them, not this time.

M

Major JW Hochstetter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I'm not too fussed with the qualification rules for now.

And (not referring to anyone in particular here) its a shame that every part of the World Cup concept in Rugby League is critised to the death. I cannot think of another sport in the world that hosts international tournaments that cops so much undue loathing and ridicule. It seems that unless international Rugby League tournamanets are run as well and successfully as the biggest in the world such as the Soccer World Cup, or the biggest and best marketing con job in the Onion World Cup, then it is a laughing stock - despite the many, many other sports out there who enjoy a similar or lower standing than Rugby League on the world stage.

Rugby League's international presence is obviously limited compared to the bigger sports, but so what. This tournament is where we lay the platform to steadily grow and expose our game, and it will be the basis from which future international comps are improved and grown.

I'd love for the naysayers to have some perspective and just take it for what it is, and just enjoy it! I for one can't wait to see the variations in styles, tactics and approach to the game that various countries will throw at each other, particularly the care free minnows.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Well said JW.

One of the things that irks me is the hypocricy. People whinge about how Australian, English and Kiwi rejects play for other teams. So let's say we change that.

The other teams have absolutely bugger all talent and so get absolutely annihilated. What happens? People bag the fact League has no quality around the world.

Lose lose.

**** it, I'm sick of the naysayers too, particularly those that say "who cares, I've got no interest in it, it shouldn't be held, just play State of Orgasms every week in the offseason...or 20/20 cricket....wooo, channel 9, yeah!".

M

Major JW Hochstetter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Someone should get onto marketing re: Mr Kerr.

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  • broncs30
  • Hoof Hearted
  • bb_gun
  • Organix
  • BroncoFan94
  • Sproj
  • Wolfie
  • Battler
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Aldo
  • Behold
  • LittleDavey
  • mystico
  • winslow_wong
  • KickHaas
  • broncsgoat
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Nerd
  • mrslong
... and 28 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.