10. McGuire
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Gillett
15. Hala?
16. Dodds?
17. ???

Presuming Hoffman doesn't recover from his pea heart and Norman disappears for a long time, dunno about the bench.

Hoffman can be accused of many things, but pea heart isn't one of them IMO, regardless of the interview he gave, which I choose to view as having the humility to recognize his failure, instead of branding it as a weakness.

Regardless, based on last season's performance, I think we would be best served with:

1- Norman
2- Copley
3- Reed
4- Hodges
5- Yow Yeh
6- Wallace
7- Hunt
8- Hannant
9- McCullough
10-McGuire
11-Glenn
12-Thaiday
13-Parker

14- Gillett
15- Hala
16- Whitchurch
17- Dodds

The bench is up for discussion, and I wouldn't be against promoting Gillett to lock, and put Parker into the Prop rotation, which would make Whitchurch the utility and free Dodds or Hala's bench spot for another second rower such as Frei or Gibbs for example...

Hoffman can be accused of many things, but pea heart isn't one of them IMO, regardless of the interview he gave, which I choose to view as having the humility to recognize his failure, instead of branding it as a weakness.

Aww how can you say that?? What he said was a disgrace and it summed up exactly the type of football he was playing.

I'm quite sure his "lack of interest" kicked in right about the time GI smashed him and Wade Graham put a head on it.

He turned into a pea heart .......no two ways about it.

I for one will be bitterly disappointed with broncos management if he isn't absolutely flogged to an inch of his life during pre-season training.

To me, a pea heart is someone that doesn't want to get involved and is afraid of running a ball into a wall of defenders, like Dave Taylor for example. I don't think Hoffman belongs in that category.

To say he dropped his head a bit in the final stages of the season is being honest, because we all know that happened to him as well as others, especially when things weren't coming out as expected and desired. It's all part of gaining experience for a lot of the youngsters, but at least he has the courage and presence of mind to see and admit it.

Regardless, based on last season's performance, I think we would be best served with:

1- Norman
2- Copley
3- Reed
4- Hodges
5- Yow Yeh
6- Wallace
7- Hunt
8- Hannant
9- McCullough
10-McGuire
11-Glenn
12-Thaiday
13-Parker

14- Gillett
15- Hala
16- Whitchurch
17- Dodds

The bench is up for discussion, and I wouldn't be against promoting Gillett to lock, and put Parker into the Prop rotation, which would make Whitchurch the utility and free Dodds or Hala's bench spot for another second rower such as Frei or Gibbs for example...

You think Gillett would be better playing through the middle than the fringes?

To me, a pea heart is someone that doesn't want to get involved and is afraid of running a ball into a wall of defenders, like Dave Taylor for example.

Your anti souffs agenda has you blind sometimes.

You think Taylor is a pea heart because he runs on the outside fringes?

That's exactly where McGuire has him running .......that's where Meninga tried to run him and that's where I would run him too. A big fast, mobile 2nd rower with hand skills like Alfie langer and you want him to run it up into a brick wall like a front rower?

Makes no sense ....total waste.

Hoffman's attitude problems are a worry if he (and there were reportedly others) can get away with thinking like that and the Broncos coach, management and support staff don't pick up on it

like to know where their heads were at as well.

You think Gillett would be better playing through the middle than the fringes?
Yeah, I'd like to see him play a role similar to Glenn Stewart. Which is not to say that he couldn't do an excellent job in the fringes as well, but I think he's the best suited for the lock job of our second rowers, if Parker was to move onto the prop rotation.

Your anti souffs agenda has you blind sometimes.

You think Taylor is a pea heart because he runs on the outside fringes?

That's exactly where McGuire has him running .......that's where Meninga tried to run him and that's where I would run him too. A big fast, mobile 2nd rower with hand skills like Alfie langer and you want him to run it up into a brick wall like a front rower?

Makes no sense ....total waste.

Hoffman's attitude problems are a worry if he (and there were reportedly others) can get away with thinking like that and the Broncos coach, management and support staff don't pick up on it

like to know where their heads were at as well.
Get your hand of it, this has nothing to do with my dislike for souffs. This was my opinion about him before there was even a rumour about him going to Redfern.

And it also has nothing to do with how he's being used by the coaches. Whether or not that's the best position for him, and I agree it is, it doesn't mean that he shouldn't take a few hit-ups to help out his team, or make that extra effort to tackle a player and prevent a line break. He's one of the worst offenders when it comes to push through the pain and exhaustion to help out your team mates! That makes him a pea heart.

But Glenn Stewart plays on the fringes.. I think it's a real conundrum for our coaching staff that we have three back-rowers who all play their best footy on the edge.

I'm not sure which way they go, but I would definitely have Thaiday exclusively play 80 on the right.

Just because you're a lock, doesn't mean you have to play exclusively through the middle. Glenn Stewart is the Manly lock, but often plays as a second 5/8, and that's what I'd like to see Gillett doing...

A lot of 'locks' in the game are really just second rowers.

Look at Origin for instance, Myles is actually the lock where as Harrison/Parker are second rowers who play left fringe.

That isn't the case at the Broncos, Glenn plays left fringe, Thaiday plays right with Parker playing through the middle. When Gillett comes on he predominately plays right with Thaiday moving towards the middle. I don't think it's because Gillett can only play right fringe but more because Thaiday is more versatile than Glenn, Alex can only play on the fringe, which is fine when you consider he's one of the best in the game at it.

G. Stewart himself usually plays on the right for Manly, Watmough is their true lock.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Gillett has struggled since he doesn't have a defined role.

A lot of 'locks' in the game are really just second rowers.

Look at Origin for instance, Myles is actually the lock where as Harrison/Parker are second rowers who play left fringe.

That isn't the case at the Broncos, Glenn plays left fringe, Thaiday plays right with Parker playing through the middle. When Gillett comes on he predominately plays right with Thaiday moving towards the middle. I don't think it's because Gillett can only play right fringe but more because Thaiday is more versatile than Glenn, Alex can only play on the fringe, which is fine when you consider he's one of the best in the game at it.

G. Stewart himself usually plays on the right for Manly, Watmough is their true lock.

True, pretty much every side has a left back rower, a right back rower and a middle/prop back rower. Most are nice enough to just name their lock that, but some try to be different, for whatever reason. I guess it makes sense how in the New Zealand match they dropped Myles to the bench when they finally realised both he and Gallen play the same role in the middle. Even Sheens can catch on eventually.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • broncos4life
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Battler
  • Emanon
  • Harry Sack
  • cento
  • Browny
  • Yellowfella
  • Santa
  • Scorchie
  • Cavalo
  • Waynesaurus
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • IceWorks
  • Justwin
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.