2018 NRL Side

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
That 17 would be fighting with the Knights for the wooden spoon, just so you know.

I'll never understand the urgency people have to punt nearly every experienced player we have and throw in a bunch of guys who struggle to make a consistent impact in the U20's.

I think too many people read a lot about our younger blokes but dont actually see them play a lot.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
What i asked is how much you have seen of them. not for you to describe them. I already know what they are like as footballers, i've seen them plenty.

Fifita is a year younger than Haas iirc, but he looks a better player than Haas imo, and so does Carrigan. A lot of hype around Haas based on what we signed him for and the comparisons to Taumalolo. He is good, but we quite rightly shouldnt be pushing him for a NRL spot until he shows he can mix it in ISC, same with all of them.

Allan and Issako are nowhere near Boyd, nowhere near, or even Kahu for that matter. Shibasaki was expected to push on this year, but he hasnt really. They expected him to push for a spot and he just hasnt, so i'm not quite sure where on earth any of the blokes you mentioned currently are going to fit in unless we move Oates and a wing spot opens up. Opacic at the moment is comfortably ahead of Gehamat.

Who do you think is the better talent, Su'A or Fifita? Since they are both second rowers.

I would like to see Issako on the wing with Boyd at fullback if Oates was to go into the forwards.

Z

ZeBigLebowski

NYC Player
Mar 29, 2015
1.Milford
2.Mead
3.Roberts
4. Bird
5.Kahu
6.Boyd
7.Nikorima
8.Sims
9.McCullough
10.Mcguire
11.Glenn
12.Gillett
13.Pangai jr
14. Thaiday
15.offa
16. Haas
17.Oates

Need a speedy fullback who can make atleast one line break off a kick, don't think I saw Boyd do it at all this season. He is too slow and a slimmer Milford would suit the sweeper role we use in attack. Thaiday is fat and has horrible stamina but can't see anyone else atm. Hopefully he will get replaced unless he improves his fitness.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Who do you think is the better talent, Su'A or Fifita? Since they are both second rowers.

I would like to see Issako on the wing with Boyd at fullback if Oates was to go into the forwards.

Honestly, i think Fifita. He is a pretty special player. Wont be good if we lose him.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Haas would be well behind Lodge imo if we sign him. We do have some very good young forwards potentially. I'm not quite sure if we will keep them all tbh, i think some might bet big offers from elsewhere.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Honestly, i think Fifita. He is a pretty special player. Wont be good if we lose him.

Definitely hope we can keep him. Will be interesting to see what happens if he continues to kill it and demands a starting spot over the next few years if he forces one of Glenn or Gillett out of their edge back row spots.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Haas would be well behind Lodge imo if we sign him. We do have some very good young forwards potentially. I'm not quite sure if we will keep them all tbh, i think some might bet big offers from elsewhere.

But you think Fifita should be top of the list of the guys to keep?

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Definitely hope we can keep him. Will be interesting to see what happens if he continues to kill it and demands a starting spot over the next few years if he forces one of Glenn or Gillett out of their edge back row spots.

I think Oates would be an upgrade on Glenn if he can get to grips with being a forward again. I think he could be like Boyd Cordner for us if we use him properly.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I think Oates would be an upgrade on Glenn if he can get to grips with being a forward again. I think he could be like Boyd Cordner for us if we use him properly.

That's what I have always thought. Would be more effective running off Milford short balls than Glenn, although Glenn has been killing it late into the season.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
But you think Fifita should be top of the list of the guys to keep?

I think so. We do have an abundance of forward talent when you look at Carrigan, Sua, Fai, Haas, Fifita, Lodge and Taueli ( hopefully ) Oates and even Ofa who are all fairly young. I'm struggling to see how we hold onto them all. Fifita would be the best of them, but thats just my opinion.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
But we won't get away with half of the tries he gets away with.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I think so. We do have an abundance of forward talent when you look at Carrigan, Sua, Fai, Haas, Fifita, Lodge and Taueli ( hopefully ) Oates and even Ofa who are all fairly young. I'm struggling to see how we hold onto them all. Fifita would be the best of them, but thats just my opinion.

That is my fear, that we lose some of the better ones. We already lost one of the best coming through in Tino due to signing Haas, just hoping we don't lose Fifita to. I really can't see a spot for a guy like Su'A with Oates and Fifita likely to want the second row spot over the coming seasons and already having Glenn and Gillett.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Maybe. Hard to tell until we see who replaces him. He is a freak at getting the ball down sometimes when it looks impossible.
Makes it easier when he catches the ball after he beats the line of defense though.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Funny how everyone has forgotten the British sbw is coming next season.

1. Boyd (c)
2. Oates
3. Oppa
4. Roberts
5. Kahu (goal kicker)
6. Milf
7. Kniko
8. McGuire
9. Macca
10. Sims
11. Glenn
12. Gillo
13. Bird

14. Savelio
15. Thaiday
16. TPJ
17. Offa

Not to mention Lodge could very well force someone out. We look good everywhere except qndominent half.

Bird can cover 7-1. Kniko, MacGuire, Thaiday, Glenn can all cover hooker.

Last edited:
K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
Next years preseason and trials will be the biggest decider of the 17 in the history of our club.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
What would be your 17 next year Wolfie?

Assuming we sign Lodge and lose Blair, then i'd probably go with to start with.

1 Boyd
2 Kahu
3 Roberts
4 Opacic
5 Pearson
6 Milford
7 Nikorima
8 Lodge
9 Macca
10 Mcguire
11 Oates
12 Gillett
13 Bird

14 TPJ
15 Offa
16 Glenn
17 Sims

We dont really have a genuine utility to put on the bench. If we sign a half, then i'd probably put knik there and drop Glenn or Sims. When i actually stop and think about it, we have some real dilemmas. Savelio could come in, Maybe Issako instead of Pearson as he would be a great kicking option. Glenn is hard to leave out, as is Sammy. Hopefully, guys like Savelio, Fai, Shibasaki and Haas can really stake a claim and push for a place. Be interesting to see if we recruit anyone.

Unread

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • barker
  • thenry
  • johnny plath
  • Aldo
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Wolfie
  • Broncorob
  • phoenix
  • Xzei
  • Waynesaurus
  • Lostboy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.