Allan Langer charged with drink-driving

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Them getting the sack over a drink driving charge, it would depend on what is in their contract.

With the NRL contracts, don't they have something, like bringing the game into disrupt written into it.

And we don't know what the club policy is now.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Would a trainer be signed to an NRL contract though (I genuinely don't know) it would surprise me if that is the case. If it is written in the employment contract that you can be sacked for a drink drive, then that may be different, I still think it would be harsh for a first offence though.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
I dont give 2 sh*ts about his contract. The club was already down and out after the Warriors match. Alfie legend or not did not use his head and put the club into more sh*t so he can leave.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Down and out? After losing a round 3 match? Hmmm, I find that a bit OTT. I don't know that the fact that an employee is pulled over and charged with drink driving really adversely impacts upon the employer's reputation to the extent that you are saying. So I do not believe that provides a ground for his summary dismissal.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
its the NRL this is 2010 and the media love a story to tear the sport a new one.

And by down and out im talking about how the papers portrayed our team. How the players must have felt after that match and how most the fans felt.

Yes we will bounce back, Yes we will make the finals. But that was a very heart breaking 24hrs for Bronco Fans.

Alfie put the clubs image at risk.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Valid point. But if any precedent has been set by the Toilet incident, then the club can't really summarily let him go. I think that behaviour placed the club's image at more risk, given that it involved three players intoxicated in the week leading up to an important semi-final.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Just on 10 news a witness stated Aflie was groping women & Hodges was egging him on.

Not egging him on about the groping.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
lynx000 said:
Valid point. But if any precedent has been set by the Toilet incident, then the club can't really summarily let him go. I think that behaviour placed the club's image at more risk, given that it involved three players intoxicated in the week leading up to an important semi-final.

Not letting those players go soiled the clubs image in respect to drunk players did it not? Now is the time to say "Ok we learnt our lesson guys if we can sack Alfie Langer we can sack anyone."

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Kaz said:
Just on 10 news a witness stated Aflie was groping women & Hodges was egging him on.

Not egging him on about the groping.

So that makes Alfie another typical drunk bloke then

D

ddd

NRL Player
May 14, 2009
draggx said:
lynx000 said:

Not letting those players go soiled the clubs image in respect to drunk players did it not? Now is the time to say "Ok we learnt our lesson guys if we can sack Alfie Langer we can sack anyone."

I agree with you dragz, to an extent. The problem is that we set a particular benchmark for what we considered acceptable and sackable. I don't agree with it and I hate that everything that happens with our club is not put up against our actions in "toiletgate". The problem now is everything we do know looks like we're trying to make up for how we acted before, though we can say "we learned our lesson" because of what we did during finals footy, it will all seem like lip service, even regarding a club great like Alfie.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
ddd said:
draggx said:
lynx000 said:

I agree with you dragz, to an extent. The problem is that we set a particular benchmark for what we considered acceptable and sackable. I don't agree with it and I hate that everything that happens with our club is not put up against our actions in "toiletgate". The problem now is everything we do know looks like we're trying to make up for how we acted before, though we can say "we learned our lesson" because of what we did during finals footy, it will all seem like lip service, even regarding a club great like Alfie.

And here is the problem. does the club hold that same stance or admit it was wrong and put the right foot forward?

D

ddd

NRL Player
May 14, 2009
lynx000 said:
Not sure what you mean Drag. I don't necessarily have a problem with someone being stood down, particularly in circumstances where charges are yet to be finalised, but I do have an issue with someone being sacked from their employment. And if we are talking about the allegations that have been raised against Stewart/Inglis (in particular the Stewart case) I wonder if we would be comparing apples and oranges.

Fozz, I don't agree with police being sacked either. If a person is a repeat offender, there may be some justification. The thing with police being sacked is something that has only recently become more prevalent. Believe me there are quite a few officers who have had a previous drink driving conviction who are still serving. Same with lawyers, judges, magistrates. They do not usually lose their position, why should Alfie?

Regarding your links:
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... -d1re.html - he is no longer a full time magistrate and on a one year contract

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... 816325.htm - seven years prior to being appointed as a magistrate, and there appears to be no other indiscretions since then

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 184601.htm - she did continue working, but there are extenuating circumstances (specifically she is a female and Indigenous magistrate who focused on women's rights - there would have been an outrage)

Legal practitioners are held to a particularly high standard when it comes to actions involving breaking the law. You can be struck off the roll of people able to practice as a solicitor if your actions show that you are treating the law with contempt. Look the the number Alf blew There are these professions where there are particular expectations on the people within it, why should this not apply to professional sports people?

I'm not saying that this should apply to everyone, not the office worker and I'm not also saying that I don't think its a serious issue, but Alfie is well aware of his public image and how that image reflects on the club.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
It does not matter who you are. Drink driving impacts those around you the same.

Judge,Footy Star,School teacher, Forklift driver. its no different and everyone should be punished to the full extent.

D

ddd

NRL Player
May 14, 2009
draggx said:
It does not matter who you are. Drink driving impacts those around you the same.

Judge,Footy Star,School teacher, Forklift driver. its no different and everyone should be punished to the full extent.

But mate, what's we're talking about is being punished above the full extent - I'm not saying it's not serious, and I know you mentioned drink driving impacted your family, and I'm not condoning it in any way, but there are some professions in which the punishment should and does go beyond the full extent

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
If the rumours about Alfie having problems with other staff members are true he will no doubt be sacked. I think the club has to bite the bullet and sack him.

Active Now

• BroncoFan94
  • Bucking Beads
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Foordy
  • Lozza
  • bb_gun
  • Shane Tronc
  • Xzei
  • leon.bott
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.