Allan Langer charged with drink-driving

Though I have never agreed with the role model theory --> the sacking was the right call.

He will be back one day involved with the Broncs but it is the right thing to do as of this time.

Some of you have an issue. If you honestly believe an assistant coach for a football club is a position above all those I mentioned then you clearly lack the most basic ingredient required for a person to be considered as intelligent. If it were not so ridiculous it would be laughable. One good thing though, the people making the decisions are not as thick as you lot. Staggeringly ill-equipped to see life for what it is.

An assistant coach/waterboy is more important than societies elite in your eyes.........what fools you are. Amazing.

Huge. said:
Some of you have an issue. If you honestly believe an assistant coach for a football club is a position above all those I mentioned then you clearly lack the most basic ingredient required for a person to be considered as intelligent. If it were not so ridiculous it would be laughable. One good thing though, the people making the decisions are not as thick as you lot. Staggeringly ill-equipped to see life for what it is.

An assistant coach/waterboy is more important than societies elite in your eyes.........what fools you are. Amazing.

Dude, the players who he helps to coach are under a code of conduct where they would be sacked for the exact same offense. The club therefore have to show the players that they treat this as seriously as they signed them up for and send them the message that you shouldn't be doing this and if you do it at the Broncos you will be looking elsewhere.

Huge. said:

You ask a young kid the name of 5 Judges.. They will look at you confused. You ask them 5 Footballers they will run off 10 to you. Now these kids are seeing Alfie on the news in his Undies drunk as all hell and then find out he drove home drunk..

"daddy its ok you can drive, alfie did and he didn't get in trouble"

As far as I know, officers of the law should get the sack if they get busted drink driving (drink driving is a criminal offence). I don't why it's not happening now.

Doesn't Alfie live in Caloundra? Thats a long way to drive pissed. You'd think he would have sorted some sort of sleeping arrangement when he hits the turps in Brisso.

draggx said:
Huge. said:

You ask a young kid the name of 5 Judges.. They will look at you confused. You ask them 5 Footballers they will run off 10 to you. Now these kids are seeing Alfie on the news in his Undies drunk as all hell and then find out he drove home drunk..

"daddy its ok you can drive, alfie did and he didn't get in trouble"

Draggx nails it icon_thumbs_u

ps Huge are you the guy of Anchorman? LOUD NOISES!!!!!!!

The only fool is the guy comparing footballers to high court judges...Huge.

Footballers are part of a multi billion dollar industry and are brand names. Those brands **** up, money is lost. Hence they are on a code of conduct that is stricter than most areas of society.

They are all aware of that. You can be sympathetic and say it's bullshit and unfair, fine. But that's just how it is.

Judges are the central component of our legal system. Winning in court basically hangs off trying to convince a judge the fairness and legalities of ones situation in court. You could basically put judges as the modern versions of the high priest of society or even to take somewhat of the role of king in ancient societies. I personally believe judges should be the primary upholders of our legal system otherwise it makes the whole thing a bit of a farce.

Even though for most of us here we would hold Alfie higher in esteem than high court judges, this wouldn't represent the majority of society (outside of QLD at least). I can't see an ex footballer being more accountable of representing the high moral ground than a high court judge.

Your still not getting it are you?

This is not just about who holds more power who is more important. Its about who has a job to set an example that kids can follow. A Sports star no matter what sport has more of an influence on kids then a high court judge. He is also more of an influence on other players then a high court Judge.

So on a league forum we are right to be talking about him with high regard like we are.

I'm not saying he should not be stood down. I personally don't believe that just because you are a good footy player that you should become some sort of standard bearer for all that is good and moral. That is just me though. Times have changed and the highly visible need to take these sorts of things into account. There is a factor of marketing involved, though the influence on kids seems to be needed to be taken into account these days.

It is different to the old days where this sort of thing would only be known through a game of whispers. You would hear about things through whispers and jokes at the pub. These days things are known within the minute and are displayed in all their glory in high def with the all the bandwidth we have these days.

I just had to take exception to the comment that it is worlds away from comparing Alfie to a high court judge. Intellectually it is a bit of a joke saying that. Reality is different however.

Coxy said:
The only fool is the guy comparing footballers to high court judges...Huge.

Footballers are part of a multi billion dollar industry and are brand names. Those brands **** up, money is lost. Hence they are on a code of conduct that is stricter than most areas of society.

They are all aware of that. You can be sympathetic and say it's bullshit and unfair, fine. But that's just how it is.

At last the status quo is restored.

Huge and Coxy can get on with seeing who has, well, the hugest c@ck [icon_razz1

whatever said:
Judges are the central component of our legal system. Winning in court basically hangs off trying to convince a judge the fairness and legalities of ones situation in court. You could basically put judges as the modern versions of the high priest of society or even to take somewhat of the role of king in ancient societies. I personally believe judges should be the primary upholders of our legal system otherwise it makes the whole thing a bit of a farce.

Even though for most of us here we would hold Alfie higher in esteem than high court judges, this wouldn't represent the majority of society (outside of QLD at least). I can't see an ex footballer being more accountable of representing the high moral ground than a high court judge.

The comparision I engaged in was for the point of establishing that there are careers where your behaviour in personal live affects your professional life. Of this there can be no argument. I'm not say Alfie should be held to higher moral standing then a High Court Justice, however, considering the influence he has in society, with kids and fans, and the influence he has on our club by being the assistant coach, any personal indiscretions will certainly impact on his professional career. (see further Draggz comments earlier)

The bottom line is it was drink driving and he was THREE times the limit.

It is a serious offence, Don't drink and drive - you seriously are putting OTHER people's lives in danger.

No. the bottom line is he is a person judged by stupid unthinking and unreasonable people to be guilty of the same offence as dozens of others were on that same day and scores more since that night. Due to the enormous lack of perspective most of you, have, by and large, lost sight of the fact that many before and after him will commit the same offence without your self righteous indignation being in evidence. Simple reason will be this; those other people will be just as guilty with in a lot of cases a far worse driving history but you won't care about them, no your beloved sporting idol will fail and you'll in your immature self indulgent ways will find a fault, a fault you won't even consider for a second finding in other, more mundane people.

You don't pour over the papers each day bemoaning the high readings of every citizen who is charged, hell you don't even notice them because what happened to Alfie happens everyday but no, will you see it for what it is ? no chance. For Alfie it will be something different because he holds a job which on average sees him on TV on a once a week basis. When he trots out the water and instructions.

The offence is not the problem with you lot, no, it's because you personally feel let down. You personally have been betrayed. That's because you are sad because someone you respected and held in high esteem has proven fallible and by extension you feel wronged and also upset because your judgement, your estimation was wrong. You look stupid and incorrect because you were wrong about Alfie.

That's what happens when you make idols of frail fellow human beings. You did it with Tiger Woods you're doing it again with Alfie and you'll keep doing it right up until the day when you actually grow up. Then, and only then will you be complete....some of you will never get there...you'll never be smart enough to understand..

more honoured in the breach than the observance...

Huge, obviously you think you are far more intelligent than most on this board. That may or may not be the case, though I personally believe that the truly intelligent people don't feel the need to tell everyone else how stupid they are in order to boost their own self-image. Regardless, it is clear that no-one ever thought to educate you on how to talk to people who disagree with you. A few handy hints (for you and others on this board):

1. Don't be so utterly condescending and patronising that people want to slap you. Comments like "you'll never be smart enough to understand" are sure to make people's blood boil. If people hate you they will never admit to agreeing with you.

2. Don't assume to know how other people feel about a situation. You have no idea about people's history and past life events which may shape they way they view current situations.

3. Don't be offensive just for the sake of it. If you speak respectfully to people then they are far more likely to take in what you're saying and at least give it some thought, rather than dismissing you as a total arse.

Huge. said:
No. the bottom line is he is a person judged by stupid unthinking and unreasonable people to be guilty of the same offence as dozens of others were on that same day and scores more since that night. Due to the enormous lack of perspective most of you, have, by and large, lost sight of the fact that many before and after him will commit the same offence without your self righteous indignation being in evidence. Simple reason will be this; those other people will be just as guilty with in a lot of cases a far worse driving history but you won't care about them, no your beloved sporting idol will fail and you'll in your immature self indulgent ways will find a fault, a fault you won't even consider for a second finding in other, more mundane people.

You don't pour over the papers each day bemoaning the high readings of every citizen who is charged, hell you don't even notice them because what happened to Alfie happens everyday but no, will you see it for what it is ? no chance. For Alfie it will be something different because he holds a job which on average sees him on TV on a once a week basis. When he trots out the water and instructions.

The offence is not the problem with you lot, no, it's because you personally feel let down. You personally have been betrayed. That's because you are sad because someone you respected and held in high esteem has proven fallible and by extension you feel wronged and also upset because your judgement, your estimation was wrong. You look stupid and incorrect because you were wrong about Alfie.

That's what happens when you make idols of frail fellow human beings. You did it with Tiger Woods you're doing it again with Alfie and you'll keep doing it right up until the day when you actually grow up. Then, and only then will you be complete....some of you will never get there...you'll never be smart enough to understand..

more honoured in the breach than the observance...

You know your right, Alfie im sorry feel free to drink drive anytime you like and keep your high paying job. I hope my 2yr old son grows up and drinks just like you sir Alfie.

Why bring Woods into this? Im not sure everyone on here really gave a crap about what he did. I like most posters here (i am guessing) felt it was something that should have been left for him and his wife to sort out just like the Matty Johns thing.

I would also expect someone like myself to be grilled the same as Alfie if i was to drink drive. I wont even drive after 1 drink to be honest because i feel the risk of letting down my family is to great.

Comparing a sex scandal and a drink driving charge is silly. One put people at risk that the bloke did not know and there for should be made an example. The other was just pleasure taken to far and should have been left alone by the media.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • RolledOates
  • Dreaglor
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Bucking Beads
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Dash
  • bb_gun
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.