Allan Langer charged with drink-driving

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
draggx said:
It does not matter who you are. Drink driving impacts those around you the same.

Judge,Footy Star,School teacher, Forklift driver. its no different and everyone should be punished to the full extent.
And that was my exact point originally Drag. Punishment lies with the Court, not with an employer. To sack him for a first offence goes way over the top and beyond appropriate punishment for the offence committed.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
lynx000 said:
draggx said:
It does not matter who you are. Drink driving impacts those around you the same.

Judge,Footy Star,School teacher, Forklift driver. its no different and everyone should be punished to the full extent.
And that was my exact point originally Drag. Punishment lies with the Court, not with an employer. To sack him for a first offence goes way over the top and beyond appropriate punishment for the offence committed.

I personally think being employed by a football club as an assistant coach to young footballers who need to be guided by quality people is a bit different to working at Crazy Clarkes.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
That was a little out of left field, but yes I agree with you. But then again, I'm almost sure that the majority of the training staff at each of the clubs are not teetotalling Baptists, Seventh Day Adventist, born again christians etc. The only thing he did wrong was getting in a car when he had too much to drink, he made a poor choice and an extremely bad error of judgment for which he will receive appropriate punishment.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
lynx000 said:
draggx said:

now if he blew .06 or some crap id be clapping my hands at your post... But we need to remember as well he was 3 times over.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
In my humble opinion anyone calling for Allan Langers dismissal simply lacks the intelligence to understand the old principle of the punishment fitting the crime.

WHY DO YOU DUMMYS EXPECT STANDARDS OF FOOTBALLERS THAT YOU DO NOT OF JUDGES, DOCTORS, POLITICIANS, UNIVERSITY DONS, ABORIGINAL LEADERS, AND OUR MAGNIFICENT SCIENCE FRATERNITY ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

HOW CAN YOU BE THAT THICK ??

IF YOU THINK A FOOTBALLER IS A ROLE MODEL THEN YOU'VE GOT THE PROBLEM NOT THE PLAYER

TEACH YOUR KIDS WHO A REAL ROLE MODEL IS THEN THERE WON'T BE SO MANY OF YOU NON-THINKERS AROUND

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Alfie is not a footballer anymore he is an Assistant coach of the Brisbane Broncos.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
AN ASSISTANT COACH, SPOKEN ALMOST REVERENTIALLY AS THOUGH THAT'S A HIGH OFFICE TO HOLD...MAKES THE OTHER PEOPLE SEEM UNIMPORTANT...HARD TO BELIEVE SOME OF YOU PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED TO VOTE AND HAVE THAT SAME VOTE COUNT EQUALLY WITH THOSE OF US WITH THE INTELLECTUAL CAPACITY TO SEE AN EVENT RATIONALLY.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
FB warned people about this kinda attitude around here. Step back and leave the insults out of it. We are all guilty of it yes but we all need to take a step back.

And i dont just mean the post i quoted, You had a nice run up.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
#1 Kemp fan said:
Alfie is not a footballer anymore he is an Assistant coach of the Brisbane Broncos.

A more respected position imo

D

ddd

NRL Player
May 14, 2009
draggx said:
#1 Kemp fan said:

A more respected position imo

totally agree - anyone in the public eye is held to a high standard, especially those in sports (which try to have a family image) and even more so those who are involved with managing the club.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Huge. said:
In my humble opinion anyone calling for Allan Langers dismissal simply lacks the intelligence to understand the old principle of the punishment fitting the crime.

WHY DO YOU DUMMYS EXPECT STANDARDS OF FOOTBALLERS THAT YOU DO NOT OF JUDGES, DOCTORS, POLITICIANS, UNIVERSITY DONS, ABORIGINAL LEADERS, AND OUR MAGNIFICENT SCIENCE FRATERNITY ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

IF YOU THINK A FOOTBALLER IS A ROLE MODEL THEN YOU'VE GOT THE PROBLEM NOT THE PLAYER

TEACH YOUR KIDS WHO A REAL ROLE MODEL IS THEN THERE WON'T BE SO MANY OF YOU NON-THINKERS AROUND

Put aside the whole role model thing. It's got nothing to do with it.

Allan Langer is (or was) the assistant coach of one of the Brisbane's most recogniseable brands. He is in the public eye and like it or lump it, that comes with the territory of his position. Fair? Probably not. Reality? Yes.

Who do you work for Huge? If you were photographed and video'd playing up in your work uniform, then your boss found the pictures and videos the next day in the papers and on the internet, would you expect to keep your job?? I know with my job that if I am playing up in my uniform and it makes a headline or two, I would get the sack, and I am sure a lot of other people are in the same position. No, Alfie wasn't in his uniform and had no Broncos logos anywhere, but when you are in the public profile like he is, wherever you go, whatever you do, you are representing the Broncos and anything that you do reflects on the Broncos.

I do feel sorry for Alfie in that regard but he knew that when he took on the position the responsibility that he had to uphold and he failed to uphold it. For that, he has to be given the sack.

B

Bannermania

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Jeba said:
Huge. said:

Put aside the whole role model thing. It's got nothing to do with it.

Allan Langer is (or was) the assistant coach of one of the Brisbane's most recogniseable brands. He is in the public eye and like it or lump it, that comes with the territory of his position. Fair? Probably not. Reality? Yes.

Who do you work for Huge? If you were photographed and video'd playing up in your work uniform, then your boss found the pictures and videos the next day in the papers and on the internet, would you expect to keep your job?? I know with my job that if I am playing up in my uniform and it makes a headline or two, I would get the sack, and I am sure a lot of other people are in the same position. No, Alfie wasn't in his uniform and had no Broncos logos anywhere, but when you are in the public profile like he is, wherever you go, whatever you do, you are representing the Broncos and anything that you do reflects on the Broncos.

I do feel sorry for Alfie in that regard but he knew that when he took on the position the responsibility that he had to uphold and he failed to uphold it. For that, he has to be given the sack.
+1 man.

Huge, CAPS LOCK ISN'T REALLY NECESSARY!

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Huge. said:
AN ASSISTANT COACH, SPOKEN ALMOST REVERENTIALLY AS THOUGH THAT'S A HIGH OFFICE TO HOLD...MAKES THE OTHER PEOPLE SEEM UNIMPORTANT...HARD TO BELIEVE SOME OF YOU PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED TO VOTE AND HAVE THAT SAME VOTE COUNT EQUALLY WITH THOSE OF US WITH THE INTELLECTUAL CAPACITY TO SEE AN EVENT RATIONALLY.

Watch out, fear does not course through my veins is typing with caps lock.
Get rid of the caps lock, it just makes you look like an attention whore.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
As assistant coach Alf has a responsibility to be a role model for the players...he's bound by the code of conduct just as the players are. He broke a aw, a seriouus law, and one which the players can't do. Therefore Alf has to be sacked.

Sucks, totally sucks, but that's just how it is.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Shane Tronc
  • Xzei
  • leon.bott
  • BroncosAlways
  • Culhwch
  • Santa
  • Waynesaurus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.