Anthony Seibold is no longer our coach

I’m not sure he’s as smart as he thinks he is, but honestly, plenty of intellectually bright people really struggle to interact with others and read a room correctly.
Yep. I know that is true.

You do have to wonder how much is in it one way or the other though. Jamal Fogarty has just gone from Queensland Cup wilderness to the Gold Coast Titans club Captain in a little over 9 months. Cody Walker hadn't cracked the NRL at 25 and by 30 he'd played State of Origin.

Sometimes you really do have to ask how much of it is pure ability and determination vs how much of it is just landing in the right place at the right time for some of these guys.
I have another view or angle. I don't believe enough people understand that a 24/25 year old man( only talking about males here ) can be a child, an overgrown teenager, an unsteady first time adult, a well adjusted age appropriate adult or an old soul in a young body.

That's exactly why I wouldn't write off Brodie Croft or Ash Taylor or anyone for that matter. I mean, look at someone like Pat Carrigan and there I see an old soul in a young body. He seems mature way beyond his years. I swear if I only had last years ISC teams and Sydney comp teams to pick from I could find a squad that could compete. If you can find the right trigger, touch the heart of anyone you can coax a level of performance from them that even they themselves would find hard to believe.

People tend to pigeon hole themselves and some lower graders stay lower graders due to false self belief. Getting told at 22 that you're never going to make it has cost hundreds of players a chance simply because they believed some shit judges, hell, even good judges.

Seibold has taken over the in-depth analysis on nrl.com
gross vomit GIF

Watching that no wonder the team couldnt get on board. Instead of "wing" "centre" he starts replacing them with numbers relative to how many men in from the sideline. That stuff should be left until the squad is well and truly across all moves. Reprogramming doesnt work like that in footy.

Watching that no wonder the team couldnt get on board. Instead of "wing" "centre" he starts replacing them with numbers relative to how many men in from the sideline. That stuff should be left until the squad is well and truly across all moves. Reprogramming doesnt work like that in footy.
That’s pretty standard terminology. Surely even Oates can count to 3.

I have another view or angle. I don't believe enough people understand that a 24/25 year old man( only talking about males here ) can be a child, an overgrown teenager, an unsteady first time adult, a well adjusted age appropriate adult or an old soul in a young body.

That's exactly why I wouldn't write off Brodie Croft or Ash Taylor or anyone for that matter. I mean, look at someone like Pat Carrigan and there I see an old soul in a young body. He seems mature way beyond his years. I swear if I only had last years ISC teams and Sydney comp teams to pick from I could find a squad that could compete. If you can find the right trigger, touch the heart of anyone you can coax a level of performance from them that even they themselves would find hard to believe.

People tend to pigeon hole themselves and some lower graders stay lower graders due to false self belief. Getting told at 22 that you're never going to make it has cost hundreds of players a chance simply because they believed some shit judges, hell, even good judges.

See Kurt Capewell.

Way above the pay grade for some of our players, we are still working on the whole actually moving up in defence and running onto the ball at the advantage line on a hitup.

Yes, hard to argue with any of that.

I also think there is a percentage of players who for a range of non-football related reasons just can't commit to the level of training and work required to get to that next level, be that through personal choice and commitment or through external life pressures.

Some players really could probably make that next leap if they could just crack that Top 30 and get enough income to quit their job, train full time in a more professional and probably more targeted environment and that is all they need to get to the standard required to play regular NRL.

It's such a fine line for a lot of these guys and you do have to wonder how many Jamal Fogarty's are out there just needing a small slice of luck to dramatically change their career.

That segment was ok for 5 minutes but after seeing the "trend" twice we should have moved on, I can see why the boys zoned out, Seibs just drones on and on. Could you imagine 8 or so hours of him saying the same thing over and over counting to three. You would want to put your head through a wall.

Not being sour but it actually is so much more boring than Matt Elliott, and Elliott was infamously dry. I loved these videos but struggled to get through this one.

When Elliot was coach at Penrith, Petero had to pull him aside and say- I get it I understand it but 29 other guys do not- you need to change your style.

Yes, hard to argue with any of that.

I also think there is a percentage of players who for a range of non-football related reasons just can't commit to the level of training and work required to get to that next level, be that through personal choice and commitment or through external life pressures.

Some players really could probably make that next leap if they could just crack that Top 30 and get enough income to quit their job, train full time in a more professional and probably more targeted environment and that is all they need to get to the standard required to play regular NRL.

It's such a fine line for a lot of these guys and you do have to wonder how many Jamal Fogarty's are out there just needing a small slice of luck to dramatically change their career.
In my opinion only one or two percent of the kids who play rugby league at say, 13 go on to nrl. Of the rest probably 30% could play well enough to play some first grade given an ideal scenario. Here I'm only saying it's possible because this claim takes nothing else into consideration. I mean there's positions within the team that are rudimentary, that are not complex in any real way so catching the ball, running straight and hard and tackling what's in front of you describes at least a couple of roles.

There's been players I'm sure who simply played the game because they enjoyed it and while they may have daydreamed about scoring the matchwinner in the gf or origin they have no real aspirations of such glory. It doesn't mean they couldn't have achieved first grade.

Sometimes the only thing that stopped a progression is a single ill timed event, perhaps like the death of a parent when a kid was 15 and the profound effect such a thing could have. In such a scenario the lad might stop playing for months which stretches into years. Another Maranta lost, not a superstar but at least capable of first grade.

I'll bet there's dozens of ISC/Canterbury Cup players who could be nrl players if all their external needs were met or satisfied.

In my opinion only one or two percent of the kids who play rugby league at say, 13 go on to nrl. Of the rest probably 30% could play well enough to play some first grade given an ideal scenario. Here I'm only saying it's possible because this claim takes nothing else into consideration. I mean there's positions within the team that are rudimentary, that are not complex in any real way so catching the ball, running straight and hard and tackling what's in front of you describes at least a couple of roles.

There's been players I'm sure who simply played the game because they enjoyed it and while they may have daydreamed about scoring the matchwinner in the gf or origin they have no real aspirations of such glory. It doesn't mean they couldn't have achieved first grade.

Sometimes the only thing that stopped a progression is a single ill timed event, perhaps like the death of a parent when a kid was 15 and the profound effect such a thing could have. In such a scenario the lad might stop playing for months which stretches into years. Another Maranta lost, not a superstar but at least capable of first grade.

I'll bet there's dozens of ISC/Canterbury Cup players who could be nrl players if all their external needs were met or satisfied.

Michael Roberts is a good example of that, played 250 ISC games and won three comps but the NRL always wanted him to do free train and trial deals and he couldn't afford to quit teaching to do it. Ended up with 5 NRL games but could have been more.

When Elliot was coach at Penrith, Petero had to pull him aside and say- I get it I understand it but 29 other guys do not- you need to change your style.
Exactly this. One of the major challenges i think seibold experienced was that he coached/taught people how it made sense to him rather than looking at his team and coaching/teaching them in a method that met their needs.

I think that may be why WB and bellamy have been so successful. They keep things simple for the majority of the team and gave the strategy/game plan to the players with brains i.e lockyer,alf, kevie, cronk, smith etc.

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • teampjta
  • Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.