Australia vs India - Test Series

When Head learns to not throw away his wicket when set he can keep his spot

When Head learns to not throw away his wicket when set he can keep his spot

Yep you've nailed it. I think he has so much to offer but that penchant for throwing his wicket away is a massive liability.

Same goes for Hilton Cartwright. I remember thinking we had found a gem a few years back when his FC average with the bat was 50+ and his bowling average was sub30.

His career fell off a cliff.

He looked excellent with the bat, now he struggles to make the WA side.

I forgot about Marsh, I don’t mind AB’s call of opening with him. Never thought I’d want him back in the side but he’s in form and has played day night tests before and shouldn’t have any fear of failure at his age.
Khawaja and Marsh are options as openers. Marsh in better form

Against England or India I just want to win, don’t care about young players getting a go. I think Marsh is the best bet for a one off game but it won’t happen, it’ll be Harris and Burns.

I think Marsh as a fill in is not a bad pick Khawaja another option. I hope they don't play pucovski for his own sake.
He's 37yo and failed numerous times at test level. It's not a position we're absolutely desperate in so it makes no sense to bring him back now just for one series.

If Pucovski can't play then it should be Harris and Wade. I would rather see an out of form Burns, Bancroft or Renshaw given a shot than Shaun Marsh AGAIN.

What is more important long term - winning this Test series (which we may do anyway with Smith, Labu, Cummins etc) or getting a better idea of our top order options post-Warner?

Last edited:
He's 37yo and failed numerous times at test level. It's not a position we're absolutely desperate in so it makes no sense to bring him back now just for one series.

If Pucovski can't play then it should be Harris and Wade. I would rather see an out of form Burns, Bancroft or Renshaw given a shot than Shaun Marsh AGAIN.

What is more important long term - winning this Test series (which we may do anyway with Smith, Labu, Cummins etc) or getting a better idea of our top order options post-Warner?

Winning the test series, hands down

Winning the test series, hands down
Yeah but it's a coin flip as to whether Shaun Marsh would help or hinder that objective.

I think if we're not moving Wade up the order and Pucovski isn't available then it's clearly Burns/Harris. The next cab off the rank behind those two should be Renshaw. He's not in great form but his test average in Australia is 63.00 so he deserves another chance on our pitches.

Given we threw the kid into a test series IN India and he played really well and is only 24, we should be looking at him before we pick a 37yo has been.

I figure Warner will be back for game two so it is a one off pick. Burns is in horrible form. I would leave him out. Harris I don't rate. Marsh and Khawaja have got important runs at test level before and have solid techniques to be a test opener. Both of them have been inconsistent and have not fulfilled their potential but if a one off pick I think they can do a job. I don't think Wade has the technique to be a Test opener. I think he is a number 6 . Don't worry it won't happen anyway.

Renshaw is the long term best option in my view. I would be happy for them to pick him but only if it was for a sustained period and not a one off match.

Yeah but it's a coin flip as to whether Shaun Marsh would help or hinder that objective.

I think if we're not moving Wade up the order and Pucovski isn't available then it's clearly Burns/Harris. The next cab off the rank behind those two should be Renshaw. He's not in great form but his test average in Australia is 63.00 so he deserves another chance on our pitches.

Given we threw the kid into a test series IN India and he played really well and is only 24, we should be looking at him before we pick a 37yo has been.
Renshaw looked good in the shield. He got a dodgy run out decision go against him. I thought he was solid and watchful and hit a big not out hundred. I just don't want them to have him in and out of the team. When they pick him next time they need to stick with him for a couple of series

I figure Warner will be back for game two so it is a one off pick. Burns is in horrible form. I would leave him out. Harris I don't rate. Marsh and Khawaja have got important runs at test level before and have solid techniques to be a test opener. Both of them have been inconsistent and have not fulfilled their potential but if a one off pick I think they can do a job. I don't think Wade has the technique to be a Test opener. I think he is a number 6 . Don't worry it won't happen anyway.

Renshaw is the long term best option in my view. I would be happy for them to pick him but only if it was for a sustained period and not a one off match.
So you think it will be Pucovski + one of Khawaja/Marsh?

It makes sense in terms of pairing up the debutant with an experienced player but the issue is if Pucovski fails to score and Marsh manages to knock a 50, we're looking at a situation where Warner comes back in for the kid and we're stuck with Marsh for the series. In 5 tests time when he's knicked off for consecutive 20's we're in the exact same scenario wondering who's next?

I honestly don't think Khawaja is in the conversation with the selectors and he's playing politics in the press. Marsh's recent runs definitely will have him on the radar.

Last edited:
So you think it will be Pucovski + one of Khawaja/Marsh?

It makes sense in terms of pairing up the debutant with an experienced player but the issue is if Pucovski fails to score and Marsh manages to knock a 50, we're looking at a situation where Warner comes back in for the kid and we're stuck with Marsh for the series. In 5 tests time when he's knicked off for consecutive 20's we're in the exact same scenario wondering who's next?

I honestly don't think Khawaja is in the conversation with the selectors and he's playing politics in the press. Marsh's recent runs definitely will have him on the radar.
If Marsh or Khawaja are picked I would make it clear it is a one off injury replacement and Warner and Pucovski are higher ranked. I would not play Pucovski for health reasons. I don't think the selectors will pick Marsh or Khawaja. I think they will go Burns and Harris

If Marsh or Khawaja are picked I would make it clear it is a one off injury replacement and Warner and Pucovski are higher ranked. I would not play Pucovski for health reasons. I don't think the selectors will pick Marsh or Khawaja. I think they will go Burns and Harris

I think so too.

If that's the case with Puco, lets hope that is what they do. I'm not a huge fan of Burns and Harris either but in that scenario it's a clear shoot out for which one keeps the spot for the series.

I don't think there's any point picking Marsh as a one off. Khawaja makes slightly more sense as he's younger but it's a very short term decision.

I'll just note that Puco probably misses the series if he misses the 1st test. Even if he's higher in the pecking order it would make little sense to bring in two new openers for the 2nd game - unless both Burns/Harris choke and we lose the test.

The 1st test should be a h2h between Burns and Harris, whoever takes their chance should get the series to prove themselves. Puco on ice until we're 100% sure he's good to go.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.