Australia vs India - Test Series

Wow you're doing my head in with the rainman rule stuff.
Still haven't given an an answer to my question.
It's simple just type yes or no.
Do you think India were taking the piss claiming Pant was too injured to keep.
Interesting to note that substitutes were previously unable to keep wickets... I wonder why that is

I think it was shady. It's far too convenient for a player to be 'too injured' to keep wickets but not injured enough to come out and bat for hours.

Also too convenient that it massively benefited India to have the superior keeper fresh and rested for the 2nd innings and the superior batsmen fresh and rested for the 2nd innings.

Shouldn't be allowed.

Easy transition in to Philippe/Inglis/McDermott - Play Wade as keeper for the next 12-24 months.

1. Warner
2. Pucovski
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Wade (wk)
7. Green
8. Cummins (c)
9. J.Richardson
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

That'd be my side for the Gabba.
Yeah I dont think we will be dropping the skip altogether .

I think it was shady. It's far too convenient for a player to be 'too injured' to keep wickets but not injured enough to come out and bat for hours.

Also too convenient that it massively benefited India to have the superior keeper fresh and rested for the 2nd innings and the superior batsmen fresh and rested for the 2nd innings.

Shouldn't be allowed.
I had a read up on the rule change in 2017 and it appears it was in part due to a keeper (Sam Harper) being concussed and the Vics being unable to sub him for a keeper they had sitting on the bench... Sam had been hit with the bat so the concussion was pretty obvious to all. However, it notes that the concussion substitute wasn't yet in existence. I'd say the concussion sub pretty well covers the potential reason it was changed in the first place that it's pretty well redundant already and could revert to what it was.

It does also mention that the umpire must agree to allowing the 12th man to sub in for the keeper to prevent the rule from being exploited, but given Pant had a bump on the arm it seems the umps are pretty lenient on letting it happen. Could you imagine the uproar if the ump said no use one of the fielders already out there, which is the way it was previously and makes more sense to me.

Sure they can sub in a wickey to keep, but the person subbed shouldn't be allowed to bat

Sure they can sub in a wickey to keep, but the person subbed shouldn't be allowed to bat
Should that be the same for any fielder who is subbed? So, Jadeja wouldn’t have been allowed to bat in the last innings?

Interesting to note that substitutes were previously unable to keep wickets... I wonder why that is

View attachment 11060
This was my understanding of the rules, I must have missed the change. I was very surprised to see a substitute fielder keeping wicket. I think a replacement under the concussion rule should be allowed to keep (like for like or whatever they say), but if your keeper needs to temporarily sub off, someone in the squad should put on the gloves.

Foxsports has started the onslaught against Paine. Planting the seeds for his inevitable demise.

Seriously though had Vihari not torn his hammy and Jadeja been able to bat properly, there's a good chance India comfortably chase down that 400 target.

I just don't see how we go to Brisbane with the same XI and expect to take 20 wickets. Our bowlers will be physically and mentally destroyed from that final day and India will have a serious bounce knowing they got a draw with 10 men.

Yep they flat out lied about the extent of Pants injury.
The opportunity presented and they exploited it within the rules.
They arent the first to do it by any means . The Windies used to do it all the time with Gus Logie coming on to give the pace attack a rest , England did it in 2005 Ashes when they used Gary Pratt and Arjuna Ranatunga used to use a runner regularly .

This was my understanding of the rules, I must have missed the change. I was very surprised to see a substitute fielder keeping wicket. I think a replacement under the concussion rule should be allowed to keep (like for like or whatever they say), but if your keeper needs to temporarily sub off, someone in the squad should put on the gloves.
It's not that difficult to keep as well, Rohit Sharma could have filled the role

One of the best tweets of the day from an unlikely source..

Attachments

• 19E9D558-FE96-4FAC-A8CB-9789E8B5AA42.jpeg
    19E9D558-FE96-4FAC-A8CB-9789E8B5AA42.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 97
I had a read up on the rule change in 2017 and it appears it was in part due to a keeper (Sam Harper) being concussed and the Vics being unable to sub him for a keeper they had sitting on the bench... Sam had been hit with the bat so the concussion was pretty obvious to all. However, it notes that the concussion substitute wasn't yet in existence. I'd say the concussion sub pretty well covers the potential reason it was changed in the first place that it's pretty well redundant already and could revert to what it was.

It does also mention that the umpire must agree to allowing the 12th man to sub in for the keeper to prevent the rule from being exploited, but given Pant had a bump on the arm it seems the umps are pretty lenient on letting it happen. Could you imagine the uproar if the ump said no use one of the fielders already out there, which is the way it was previously and makes more sense to me.
A Doctor from the scans has to say he’s unable to field and then inform the match referee, in this case Boon who then informs the on field umpire and they approve it.

None of those three are ever going to disagree with the Doctor.

Last edited:
Bumrah out of the Gabba test now so India’s pace attack will have about 4 games experience between them.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised, Bumrah was well down on pace on day 4 and looked to be holding his side a bit. No idea if it is related or not.

So India might be something like:

1. Gill
2. Agarwal
3. Pujara
4. Rahane
5. Sharma
6. Pant
7. Saha
8. Ashwin
9. Siraj
10. Saini
11. Tyagi? (I have no idea who is left standing)

Boy imagine the fall out if that side beats Australia.

Pucovski would have to be highly unlikely. Wonder if they will bring Joe back or go for someone else.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Midean
  • Xzei
  • Lurker
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.