OFFICIAL Bellamy extends contract with Melbourne Storm

One would think if he hasnt signed yet, then what is he waiting for. 1.4-1.7m per season is an eye watering amount, so surely its not about the money?

I don't think it really is about the money.

He is going to make a ridiculous amount regardless of where he goes, I think there are other factors. Family and whether he thinks he can be successful at the Storm or our club.

I personally don't think bennett should re-sign anyway. The mans in his 70s, achieved everything possible in rugby league. Even if he's still "got it" by the time his contract expires he should retire on top and just go enjoy the rest of his life. I do hope he'll still be involved at the broncos in some way, just not head coach.
This post just shows how brainwashed some people become, it's like you've never had an original thought. I mean something you actually came up with and wasn't a regurgitation of some other twaddle. The man's in his 70s you say ! Well, that will surprise WB because for that to be true the date today would have to be Jan 2 2020, at the very least it must be Jan 2020 and **** me, someone has stolen 19 months off me too . Must have been a coma.

In case you misunderstood, even if WB fulfills his current contract, he STILL won't be in his 70s !

Sorry but that argument is ridiculous.
It'll be flat out embarrassing if we don't get Bellamy. I don't care how "prestige" the options look, it would be utterly disgraceful and embarrassing if Bellamy re-signs with Melbourne. The club has basically went public that we don't think our coach is the best coach to lead us into the future, which is fine IF they actually sign a replacement that's at least of similar or better future value.

That's like any top company saying we think our CEO is too old, we're replacing him with this guy, but he might not even sign with us. Good business should be behind closed doors, not played out in public. The Broncos have always conducted business privately (especially of signings) so it's absurd that this has went so public, and that has to fall on Paul White. It's up to him to conduct signing negotiations with a potential coach without it leaking.

The leak was on purpose and from the Storm, they let Hooper in on it to try and force Bellmay's hand which could still backfire. Broncos then just decided to be honest and up front, denying any meeting with Bellamy would have just snowballed and made it huge for weeks.

In case you misunderstood, even if WB fulfills his current contract, he STILL won't be in his 70s !

Close enough! The point is, he's done enough for the game and the broncos. Better to finish a year early than a year too late. His words.

The leak was on purpose and from the Storm, they let Hooper in on it to try and force Bellmay's hand which could still backfire. Broncos then just decided to be honest and up front, denying any meeting with Bellamy would have just snowballed and made it huge for weeks.
Yeah but how do the Storm leak it? Surely the negotiations could have been done privately between White and Bellamy. Unless it's purely a case of someone saw Bellamy with White, but how can they not plan to meet somewhere secluded where they're unlikely to be spotted? White would have known it'll be a huge story if it got leaked.

Yeah but how do the Storm leak it? Surely the negotiations could have been done privately between White and Bellamy. Unless it's purely a case of someone saw Bellamy with White, but how can they not plan to meet somewhere secluded where they're unlikely to be spotted? White would have known it'll be a huge story if it got leaked.

Maybe Bellamy told them, he might have felt telling his current employer he was meeting with another was the right thing to do. Storm then played the game.

Maybe Bellamy isn't the ogre you portray him out to be. Maybe he thought it prudent to let his employer know someone had approached him about switching sides....

Maybe Bellamy isn't the ogre you portray him out to be. Maybe he thought it prudent to let his employer know someone had approached him about switching sides....
And exactly why should he let the Storm know he's thinking about other offers? It's not a moral obligation to do so. Unless he actually has decided to move on, I don't see why he would on his own accord, tell the Storm he's considering other offers.
He's off contract next year, he has not re-signed yet, it's pretty basic logic he's considering the thought of not being there next year, no need to discuss specifics and tell them he's talking to the Broncos.

The only reason for him to tell the Storm would be to play negotiation games and get a higher offer.

Sorry but that argument is ridiculous.
It'll be flat out embarrassing if we don't get Bellamy. I don't care how "prestige" the options look, it would be utterly disgraceful and embarrassing if Bellamy re-signs with Melbourne. The club has basically went public that we don't think our coach is the best coach to lead us into the future, which is fine IF they actually sign a replacement that's at least of similar or better future value.

That's like any top company saying we think our CEO is too old, we're replacing him with this guy, but he might not even sign with us. Good business should be behind closed doors, not played out in public. The Broncos have always conducted business privately (especially of signings) so it's absurd that this has went so public, and that has to fall on Paul White. It's up to him to conduct signing negotiations with a potential coach without it leaking.

I think you are being a bit harsh old mate. If he leak occurred from within the Broncos, I 100% agree with you. White, however has no control if the leak emanated from Bellamy or Melbourne (1 or the other trying to put pressure on the other party to the negotiation). How do you propose in that scenario, that White could have any control over the leak?

This could all very much turn out to be Bellache trying to screw every last dollar out of Melbourne on his last contract and using us as the bait to do so.

Bellamy could have been upfront with the Storm and walked in and told them that he had interest from Brisbane and he was meeting with White. z

I think you are being a bit harsh old mate. If he leak occurred from within the Broncos, I 100% agree with you. White, however has no control if the leak emanated from Bellamy or Melbourne (1 or the other trying to put pressure on the other party to the negotiation). How do you propose in that scenario, that White could have any control over the leak?

This could all very much turn out to be Bellache trying to screw every last dollar out of Melbourne on his last contract and using us as the bait to do so.
That's fair, I didn't really consider in that post if the leak came from Melbourne that White would have no control over it. In that case, I would of course say he can't be blamed, you can only control what you can control.

Maybe Bellamy told them, he might have felt telling his current employer he was meeting with another was the right thing to do. Storm then played the game.

Sorry 1910, I seem to be jumping in on your coat tails, I am just responding as I read and then realizing you have posted the same thing.

If the whispers are correct, he is staying in Melbourne.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if Brisbane do not sign Bellamy there will be egg all over the clubs face.
2x failing to recruit Bellamy after twice publicly going after him, its not a good look for the club. Throw failing to lure Ash Taylor back to Brisbane as another failure for the club, and the current halves problems we are having.
Not sure how Bennett can stay on if Bellamy does stay in Melbourne after Brisbane made it very clear they are chasing others..
The Broncos are bigger then just an NRL club. No premiership in 12yrs and then possibly this Bellamy saga (not to mention how its played out in the media,) I think White will be very much feeling the pressure of this one..

If the whispers are correct, he is staying in Melbourne.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if Brisbane do not sign Bellamy there will be egg all over the clubs face.
2x failing to recruit Bellamy after twice publicly going after him, its not a good look for the club. Throw failing to lure Ash Taylor back to Brisbane as another failure for the club, and the current halves problems we are having.
Not sure how Bennett can stay on if Bellamy does stay in Melbourne after Brisbane made it very clear they are chasing others..
The Broncos are bigger then just an NRL club. No premiership in 12yrs and then possibly this Bellamy saga (not to mention how its played out in the media,) I think White will be very much feeling the pressure of this one..

I can't disagree with this one. I love Whitey but if the rumours are true he has caused the club a lot of embarrassment and I'm not sure where we go from here. It will be incredibly disappointing.

And exactly why should he let the Storm know he's thinking about other offers? It's not a moral obligation to do so. Unless he actually has decided to move on, I don't see why he would on his own accord, tell the Storm he's considering other offers.
He's off contract next year, he has not re-signed yet, it's pretty basic logic he's considering the thought of not being there next year, no need to discuss specifics and tell them he's talking to the Broncos.

The only reason for him to tell the Storm would be to play negotiation games and get a higher offer.

Why? He's been there for years and years. Telling your boss you've got another offer / looking for something better is pretty common.

Why? He's been there for years and years. Telling your boss you've got another offer / looking for something better is pretty common.

IMO if you understand that the parties are wanting these negotiations to be kept private up until the point an agreement is or isn't made, you would respect that and keep it to yourself. Obviously you tell your boss when it is at the appropriate stage.

Having said that, I'm probably the foolish one expecting that a bloke that has overseen several years of systematic rorting and a style of play that has changed the fabric of an entire sporting competition to have any sort of respect for anyone or anything.

I can't disagree with this one. I love Whitey but if the rumours are true he has caused the club a lot of embarrassment and I'm not sure where we go from here. It will be incredibly disappointing.
White wouldn’t have made the decision off his own back to meet with Bellamy. He would have done so with the boards blessing. The person who leaked it to Hooper is the one you should be disappointed with and you can’t rule out it wasn’t Bennett himself. I understand he wasn’t privey to the meeting but was obviously tipped off at some stage.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Sproj
  • Battler
  • GCBRONCO
  • Manofoneway
  • Broncosgirl
  • Financeguy
  • Mighty Bronx
  • azza.79
  • Tmac
  • RolledOates
  • Jazza
  • theshed
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.