Ben Hunt - Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter MaroubraBroncos
  • Start date
Re: Benny Hunt.........The best Halfback in the game!

There is no rush to re-sign Hunt IMO. He is contracted for next season so lets just see how the season plays out after origin. If his form does drop we could save ourselves $100k per year and if it doesn't he will still stay here for less than he would get elsewhere.

im sorry but i dont agree with waiting just to save 100k on the chance we lose him completly. you have to realise if ben does go what the hell do we do next year? we will be up shit creek broncos are in no position to be taking gambles just to save a bit of coin. unless we have a garantee dce is gonna get out of his contract and replace ben next year we absolutely need ben next year

I would rather we wait until the season is over before throwing money at him.

Corey Norman started off 2012 well, but faded in the second half of the season. The same thing could happen with Hunt.

I'd like to see him sign to the Raiders and renege before round 13 next year on a much smaller contract. I wouldn't really like to see that but it would be hilarious.

im sorry but i dont agree with waiting just to save 100k on the chance we lose him completly. you have to realise if ben does go what the hell do we do next year? we will be up **** creek broncos are in no position to be taking gambles just to save a bit of coin. unless we have a garantee dce is gonna get out of his contract and replace ben next year we absolutely need ben next year

We might not save anything but there is that chance. We don't need to sign him yet. He is still contracted until the end of 2015. Other clubs can't sign him up until November anyway. I'd prefer we focused on signing up Copley who is off contract before we worry about Hunt or McGuire at this stage.

He's still contracted next year.

That's the thing.

oh really well thats a differant story then for some reason i was undder the impression hes only here till end of 2014. well might not be end of world if wait till later in year then

We might not save anything but there is that chance. We don't need to sign him yet. He is still contracted until the end of 2015. Other clubs can't sign him up until November anyway. I'd prefer we focused on signing up Copley who is off contract before we worry about Hunt or McGuire at this stage.

i wouldnt say copley is a must have signing before hunt though. centres are a dime a dozen hes good but decent half backs are incredibly hard to find any were in the nrl. i do agree with maguire a must signing though

i wouldnt say copley is a must have signing before hunt though. centres are a dime a dozen hes good but decent half backs are incredibly hard to find any were in the nrl. i do agree with maguire a must signing though

But Copley is off contract and Hunt is not.

Why isn't Copley resigned yet?

I think, for once, it's be nice if the Broncos thanked Hunt for his patience with a nice, early upgrade & a long term deal. How many times do they need to string him out?

The November deadline doesn't exist. This is something even journos who should know better, keep trotting out.
The only rule in play is the round 13 threshold for the NRL to register a contract.

Factually, any club could be in talks with Hunt or any other player NOW.

The November 1 date is simply when all NRL player contracts start.
People think that because a player last contract year starts on the first of November, only then can they be approached for talks, but that is not the case:

Anti-Tampering Guidelines
The current ‘anti-tampering’ guidelines state that the NRL will not register a player’s contract with a new club until after Round Thirteen in the final year of that player’s existing contract with his current club. The only exception to this is where the existing club agrees that the new contract should be registered

There is no rule to prevent clubs talking to players at any time. There is an acceptance that nobody likes to see players negotiating with a new team but there is also the reality that players in the game do change clubs and that those discussions can take place over an extended period.

Rather than introduce ‘discussion deadlines’ that have in the past been shown to be ineffective, the NRL reserves the right not to register the contract and that ensures that the player’s existing club has a fair chance of retaining its player if it wants to.

NRL Salary Cap explained - NRL.com

Last edited:

I think, for once, it's be nice if the Broncos thanked Hunt for his patience with a nice, early upgrade & a long term deal. How many times do they need to string him out?

I'd be happy with that. Just not fussed in rushing it either. Still a year to run on his contract.

Active Now

• BroncoFan94
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Sproj
  • Fatboy
  • winslow_wong
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Justwin
  • Aldo
  • marw
  • Tim K
  • Tmac
  • Allo
  • Gaz
  • Kev_Guz
  • theshed
  • Jedhead
  • Battler
  • ChewThePhatt
  • johnny plath
  • Morkel
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.