Ben Hunt - Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter MaroubraBroncos
  • Start date
Re: Benny Hunt.........The best Halfback in the game!

our only worry will be when ricky decides to offer hunt 1 mill a year. seems to be the trend the raiders are following now on every single player on market. that one club alone is neally making every players in the comps market value go up an extra 500k . its insane

our only worry will be when ricky decides to offer hunt 1 mill a year. seems to be the trend the raiders are following now on every single player on market. that one club alone is neally making every players in the comps market value go up an extra 500k . its insane

Which is exactly what they need to stop doing. Take the cheque book off Ricky FFS because all he's doing is making things worse. Every lost signature is effectively a black mark. Stop trying to sign superstars, make a couple of astute signings from clubs, promote a couple from the feeder clubs, NYC etc and build from there. Change the culture and make the Raiders a team that players want to play for. The place needs a broom no doubt, but attempting to do it all in one hit only works if you've got players signing on and that isn't happening.

I've got little concern that he'll stay here.

However, it'd be foolish to sign him right now. Let's see how he handles the second half of the season before we throw the cheque book at him.

We made the mistake with Wallace (twice), let's learn from it.

Hunt is twice the player Wallace ever was. My instincts are that he will continue to evolve into a top class half. He's not that far off that now.

I tip he will play origin.

Can't agree with him being twice the player of Wallace, different strengths and weaknesses entirely. It isn't just limited to the Wallace example either - so many players have hit top grade looking like the next big thing: Tim Smith, Brett Seymour, Joe Williams etc. only to deflate.

I agree, I just don't think setting up a deal around this time would be ideal. I would rather see the club hold those discussions in the off-season and sign him prior to 2015 pending on how he ended this year.

I would think if we signed him now his price would be significantly lower than if we signed him at the end of the season.

That's certainly a risk Danoz but his value may also decrease pending on form.

You also run the risk of doing these negotiations now and it influencing his form.

That's certainly a risk Danoz but his value may also decrease pending on form.

You also run the risk of doing these negotiations now and it influencing his form.

Yeah I guess there are positives and negatives in both situations.

I don't think Hunt seems to be the kind of player who is motivated to play for a contract. I think he just plays what's in front of him. I doubt if we signed him in a bigger contract he all of a sudden won't take the line on.

I don't think Hunt seems to be the kind of player who is motivated to play for a contract. I think he just plays what's in front of him. I doubt if we signed him in a bigger contract he all of a sudden won't take the line on.

Exactly this. It's a bit insulting to him to suggest otherwise tbh

Hunt is akin to Lockyer, not SBW FFS!

Having said that, I do agree that negotiations should be on hold till after this season has finished. We want Hunt focused on this year of footy. If he stays focused, he will single handedly take us into the top 4 this year.

Why can't he 'single-handedly' take us to the top 4 with a new contract?

Why can't he 'single-handedly' take us to the top 4 with a new contract?

Well, like I just explained in my previous post, I believe it's essential that he stays focused on just his footy. He's only just got a starting gig in first grade this year in his best position; Half Back. IMO, he doesn't need the extra stress of negotiating another contract at this point in time. He should keep his mind on playing his best footy and whatever else has been helping him so far this year with his great form.

Well, like I just explained in my previous post, I believe it's essential that he stays focused on just his footy. He's only just got a starting gig in first grade this year in his best position; Half Back. IMO, he doesn't need the extra stress of negotiating another contract at this point in time. He should keep his mind on playing his best footy and whatever else has been helping him so far this year with his great form.

I would rather sort out his contract quickly now, as he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would want to squeeze every dollar out of them (just what he deserves) then have the stress for him of offers from others. Because I think we are very naive to think other clubs aren't already talking to him

Think he could have a great combination with Milford next year.

IMO, if he's to stay focussed on his footy, get the contract stuff done & dusted. It should be one of the simpler ones.

If it was nice and simple and the Broncos came to Ben and just said, "We wanna sign you to a new 4 year deal mate. $450k a season plus incentives" or whatever the case may be, get it over and done with, then yes, it'll be better. I just don't wanna see it drawn out and I suppose fielding offers from other clubs would also be very distracting.

yea i agree with [MENTION=8361]Brett[/MENTION] i dont think waiting till the end of the year to offer him a contract is smart for anyone. and u never see that done most players with potential or who are already stars there clubs sign them up at least 6 months before there contract is over.

400k to 450k for 3 years or so seems about right for me. its still not a huge amount of money but lets be honest that will be the least you will ever pay for a half decent halfback in this competition because they are few and far between. and you can bet your money there will be some teams desperate for a half that has shown what ben has shown this year and offer him double that.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • BroncoFan94
  • theshed
  • Tim K
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • winslow_wong
  • marw
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Sproj
  • Fatboy
  • Justwin
  • Aldo
  • Tmac
  • Allo
  • Gaz
  • Kev_Guz
  • Jedhead
  • Battler
  • ChewThePhatt
  • johnny plath
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.