Bennett not to return - Signs with Knights

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Re: is the master coming home

dukey said:
I'm in the AP boat. Of course, I prefer to see my team win, and I feel hollow if they don't. But I'd much rather watch a nailbiting, close game with plenty of flair and excitement that sees my side lose narrowly than one where they trample the opposition.
Obviously, if I'm not watching it, I don't give a rat's about any of that, and I just want the news updates to tell me they won.
PFFT. I loved the day we thrashed the Knights by 70 ODD.

I am still waiting for the day QLD does that to NSW. [icon_evillaugh

I get angry if I lose a game of touch footy on Monday night.
I get angry if I lose a game of beach cricket.
I get angry if I lose a game of scrabble tbh.
I get ANGRY when I lose a round of footy tipping.

WINNING FTW!

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008

Hmmmm, I think we need to chip in for some anger management counselling for Mrs Long icon_thumbs_u

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008

Browny said:
There's a difference between social sport and sport at the elite level AP.
yes but we're not the ones playing at the elite level, thats what some people seem to be forgetting lol. we're watching OTHER PEOPLE play at the elite level. and hey, if i was playing at the elite level i dare say that i would still prefer to have fun and lose than have no fun and win (unless of course i was rewarded financially more for a win than a loss).

let me ask you a question - why do you watch sport?

i watch sport for the entertainment and love of the sport. no other reasons. if i didnt enjoy the game, i wouldnt watch it. rugby league is a game of skill, speed, athleticism, etc - those are the things that attracted me to it. boring 5 hit ups then a kick, then 5 hit ups then a kick, then 5 hits ups then a kick, games are not any of those things. theyre boring. i dont watch sport to be bored.

if i did, id watch soccer [icon_wink

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008

lynx000 said:
Hmmmm, I think we need to chip in for some anger management counselling for Mrs Long icon_thumbs_u
Nah....because mostly I win [icon_lol1. icon_thumbs_u

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

AP, forgive me for highjacking the thread away from you, but I really like the sound of this:

Asked if he'd stay at Brisbane if Bennett came back, Griffin said: "Yeah, I'd love to stay here.

"I'd take an assistant role.

"Like I said, I've been here five minutes as far as coaching goes.

"I've been given a job to do this year and I'm really enjoying that role and I'm grateful to the club for giving me that opportunity.

"If I could work beside someone like Wayne Bennett, that's only going to help me and I think it would help the club's stability with what is going on."

Griffin admitted he had no idea which way Bennett would go.

"You never know with Wayne," he said.

"There's obviously two joints who want him (Brisbane and Newcastle) and if he comes here, that's great for the club.

"I've said I'm here for one year and if someone like Wayne wanted to come back and coach this club and the club wanted him here, that's a great boost for the club."

In http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...nnett-at-broncos/story-e6frep5x-1226031475264

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

TBH Griffin would be mad to stay if he got an offer from the right club. I'd love for him to stay but if Bennett is head coach and Griffin gets good offers he will most likely go.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Bucking Beads said:
TBH Griffin would be mad to stay if he got an offer from the right club. I'd love for him to stay but if Bennett is head coach and Griffin gets good offers he will most likely go.

Depends. If he gets an offer from Cowboys, Knights or Souths, the expectation at those clubs is massive. That's a huge amount of pressure on a coach with 1 year's caretaker experience.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

Coxy said:
Bucking Beads said:

Depends. If he gets an offer from Cowboys, Knights or Souths, the expectation at those clubs is massive. That's a huge amount of pressure on a coach with 1 year's caretaker experience.

Yes but if he doesn't back himself nobody will back him. I hope he stays but a head coaching gig would be touch to turn down when you are making coaching your life.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008

If I had a guarantee that Bennett was going to be in the role for no more than 2 years and then move to a coaching director position and I was in line for the head coach role, I would think very seriously about sticking it out. Particularly if they agreed in the second year that Bennett would start taking more of a back seat.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Besides which, who is to say Bennett won't take a similar role to what he's had at the Dragons? That is, spends the first half of the week away from the team and lets his staff do the early preparation. Then he just gets involved in the final prep and game day.

Could very much see it more like a co-coach arrangement where Griffin is really doing all the hands on work and Bennett's just providing oversight.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008

If you want to be a career coach, IMO you would have to be as mad as a hatter not to spend 2 years next to/under Wayne B.

L

Locky24

QCup Player
May 17, 2009

Was just on the bottom of FoxSports news, that Wayne Bennett has rejected big offers to re-join the Brisbane Broncos

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

rowdy24 said:
Was just on the bottom of FoxSports news, that Wayne Bennett has rejected big offers to re-join the Brisbane Broncos

I'm yet to see any source of this on the net, I would have thought it would be pretty big news. eusa_think

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011

What that means is he is rejected the Knights big deal so that he can come to brisbane instead..

But that has been in the news since yesterday.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008

Scotty said:
rowdy24 said:

I'm yet to see any source of this on the net, I would have thought it would be pretty big news. eusa_think

It only said that sources from the Dragons claim that Bennett has rejected big offers to re-join the Broncos

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

And I suppose a "source" at this point in time can be as reliable as a homeless drunk as far as the media are concerned.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

Scotty said:
And I suppose a "source" at this point in time can be as reliable as a homeless drunk as far as the media are concerned.
Until Benny says the words, no sources are reliable. [eusa_doh

The thing is that contrary to what happened with the chooks in 2006, where the deal was undone because its secrecy was broken, Wayne announced his departure from the dragqueens and the Broncos are openly showing their interest in the great man. icon_thumbs_u

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
is the master coming home

Scotty said:

How did you know about Danny Weidler's source?!???

Active Now

• marw
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.