NEWS Boyd Urged to Consider Early Retirement

performance clauses are quite common in American sports.

if it is a case of him not putting his body on the line (which i don't believe it is) in order to protect it to make his 15 games next season, it is a massive risk, because if he doesn't perform and gets dropped he misses that mark any way.

IMO, he is trying, it is just that he is past it and no longer at an acceptable standard. he could possibly extend his career in the centers, but i think we have better options for next year.

I have a feeling he will retire at seasons end (or get the dreaded tap), but given Boyd's nature is keeping it quiet during the season because he doesn't want his team to make it about him (or the club to make a big fuss with a farewell thing at Lang Park, in his final game)

I also don't think we would have to worry about salary cap issues should he retire (like Souths did for Inglis) as he wouldn't be in the middle of a contract, he can just choose not to take up his option.
Yeah roger wilco has already stated we wouldn't pay anything if boyd was to retire.

I wouldn’t rule out Darius calling time on his career early, and if he does it will be without a lot of fuss, much like his rep retirement. He knows he will be looked after.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I expect him to be here next year. In terms of where he will cause least damage to our success is playing left centre. His defensive reads and talk is not bad, he doesnt need to create anything there, just quick hands if needed (which he has shown he has) and he can take his dummy half runs (which were the main metres he was making at 1).

I would put bird in 6 (given seibs is of the opinion milf is a 1 and i assume bird will still be here too), and play him like munster. He is a bigger body, hard runner who can break tackles and has some ball skills. A right side of TPJ, bird, staggs and isaako is strong offensively and with good talk can be strong defensively.

Milf just follows the ball in attack, looking for offloads and a couple set plays.

I think SOS is showing he should have first crack at 7. He seems a bit more assertive.

I’m not normally critical of Boyd who, like McCullough, becomes a scapegoat for losses that have more to do with poor handling and defence.

However, that loss was absolutely on him more than any other Broncos player. The bombed try when he just had to dive, the bombed 4-on-2, the pass over the sideline on the 1st or 2nd tackle, and the overall uselessness in our attack when he was calling the shots.

I don’t believe for a moment he is bludging, protecting his body, or giving anything less than 100%. He is just past it. I, too, hope he retires at the end of the season, and he may well do so quietly. Thankfully he has been paid well at the Dragons, the Knights, and during his second stint here.

Leave Seiboyd alone! (See what I did there?)

I also got this whisper this morning. My Sydney contact wont go to print with it yet as was denied by Broncos.

I also got this whisper this morning. My Sydney contact wont go to print with it yet as was denied by Broncos.
A denial from the club has never stopped them before. I wonder what has changed.

A denial from the club has never stopped them before. I wonder what has changed.

Maybe others? He wont publish unless its solid fact or club confirmed. Will see what the week washes up i guess. Could just be cat and mouse games of someone leaking "info".

Because they are currently having too much fun claiming that we have already lost Fifita and Staggs. They are basing this bullshit on the fact that Boyd staying means we don't have the funds. Why would they burst their own fabricated bubble if they don't have to?

This is the media's wet dream.

Run weeks and weeks of Fifita being gone/Broncos drop the ball/Worst recruitment ever. Then when Boyd retires it will be the outrage over a club legend being pushed out the door. Finally, once Boyd has retired and we manage to retain Fifita and/or Staggs it is "Things change, bro" and salary cap cheating suggestions.

That is about 6 months of 'reporting' with 0 fucking work.

Boyd wouldn’t want to go out with a fuss not his style, it makes more sense once the season is finished he calls it just before November and they lock down the youngsters in time

I'll have a fair bit of respect for Boyd if he walks away at seasons end. Hopefully he is still employed by the club in some capacity.
It'll also explain why he is constantly in this 17.
There is no doubt the club, coach and him have come to an agreement that he is able to play out the year in this squad.
It'll be interesting if we make a push for the finals. I am assuming the playing group would be aware that this is it for Darius, so we may actually start digging in a little deeper. I'm sure they will be hoping to send him out on the right note, especially if he is leaving to allow some of these younger fellas to re-sign.

Of course the above is only true if the rumour proves to be correct.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Alec
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Fozz
  • Broncosgirl
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Wolfie
  • Santa
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • Sproj
  • Painin the Haas
  • Culhwch
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Griffo
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.